Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
CoachTI
Walt could be my uncle

TIW...1 card?

I know that the TIW card gives you a 20% discount at select restaurants, but does 1 card take that 20% off the entire bill? I will be dining with 8 people, will the total bill have 20% taken off if only I have the TIW card?

Feb. 2012- CSR

Feb. 2013- BWV

CoachTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
mommadjones
Mouseketeer

Yes! It will cover up to 10 guests on one bill. It's a great savings.
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Yes, but keep in mind in theory you should be paying for all 8 people in order to get the discount. Some servers will be more okay with multiple CCs than others.
And any parties larger than 6 will have an automatic 18% gratuity added on to the full amount, not the discounted amount.

I also have a party of 8 and planning on using either the DVC or TIW discounts, so we'll be paying with gift cards/Dream Reward cards, just plan on putting a post-it-note on each card of the amounts we would like charged to each gift or reward card to cover the two families.
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
*Flower*
Needs to Win the Lottery!!

DH and I have discovered that it doesn't matter if you're 2 or 10 with TIW- if you use it they'll add the 18% tip after they take off the 20% discount.
Of course our feeling is that if Disney has decided how much we should tip, that's what they get unless they're really good. We have had instances where they know we're using the card (the information shows up on the reservation slip left on the table), so they didn't seem to serve quite as well as they would have had they not known.
Before the tip was done automatically, we'd have such good service that we'd tip upwards of 25% of the bill. Oh well.....
Old 11-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Flower* View Post
DH and I have discovered that it doesn't matter if you're 2 or 10 with TIW- if you use it they'll add the 18% tip after they take off the 20% discount.
Good to know. I'd read that in theory it was supposed to be 18% of the pre-discount amount, but its nice that in practice it ends up being post-discount ... Thanks!
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Here is a working example, using $100.00 as the original bill to make the math show up easily. Note this is for Table Service. At Counter Service there is no gratuity added.

100.00 - Original Menu Amount
*20.00 - Discount
*80.00 - Subtotal
*18.00 - Gratuity Added based on $100
**5.20 - Sales Tax on $80
103.20 - Final amount charged, takes into consideration discount, gratuity and tax.

Without TiW Discount (and still figuring 18% Gratuity)

100.00 - Original Menu Amount
*18.00 - Gratuity
**6.50 - Sales Tax on $100
124.50 - Total

$21.30 - Savings using TiW Card.

(Note - At Victoria and Albert's the added gratuity is 20% instead of 18%.)
* Ignore the asterisks; they are there only so the columns/numbers line up properly.

For full information including all locations that currently accept the TiW card go to www.tablesinwonderland.com which is the Disney official web site.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
*Flower*
Needs to Win the Lottery!!

Thanks for posting that breakdown Cheshire Figment- I didn't mean to have anyone misunderstand about the 18% tip being before the discount and not after.....

We look at it as dining for a cost that includes the tip for about the same price as the meal before tip. It works for us......
Old 11-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

IMO the TiW card is one of the best discounts Disney offers. The way we use it. It includes drinks! We often add a couple $$ extra for great service after the 18%. I am waiting for them to figure out what a great value it is for us and stop offering it!!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: