Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
ataylorrdh
Mouseketeer

Food poisoning = trip to Celebration Hospital ER

Unfortunately, we had to make a visit to the ER at Celebration Hospital during our trip this last week. Due to high white blood cell count and lack of any other symptoms, ER physician stated our son had food poisoning. We had only eaten Disney food. Has anyone had this experience? If so, what actions did you take? I don't want to take advantage of the situation, but I don't want anyone else go through the same experience. Trying to figure out best actions to take.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Unless the food poisoning is confirmed by "certain" other bacterial tests, there isn't much you can do. I believe certain reports MUST be filed by the hospital in these cases (if they really believe it was food poisoning).

A simple assertion by the ER physcian probably won't be enough.

And if it were true food poisoning, no doubt there will be other reported cases.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trips--Old Key West on 4/26/14--will be trip #60 to WDW!! Next a Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
ataylorrdh
Mouseketeer

Uncleromulus, I will try not to let my momma bear persona come out here. But the terms "really believe" and "assertion" is extremely offensive to a mother who had to watch her 10 year old son suffer. He was in extreme pain and had vommitted so much he was expelling stomach bile. Especially, when you were not there to know what tests they ran on my son. Like I said I do not want to take advantage of the situation, just want to keep someone else from going through the same thing.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
freshmanjs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylorrdh View Post
Uncleromulus, I will try not to let my momma bear persona come out here. But the terms "really believe" and "assertion" is extremely offensive to a mother who had to watch her 10 year old son suffer. He was in extreme pain and had vommitted so much he was expelling stomach bile. Especially, when you were not there to know what tests they ran on my son. Like I said I do not want to take advantage of the situation, just want to keep someone else from going through the same thing.
what do you mean by food poisoning? do you mean food borne illness? if that's the case, it is extremely difficult to determine where it came from unless there is a major outbreak and even then. it's really not something that can be completely prevented just like airborne or waterborne illnesses.

if you actually mean there was a toxin (not a bacteria or virus) in the food then that would be unusual and hopefully they can figure out what it is.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
wdwloverz
Tigger, is that you??

I think I would try to get a letter from the Dr, or at least the hospital discharge stating the Dx, and send it to Disney with as much detail of what, when and where as possilbe. Good luck and sorry your son got so sick
Here are some addresses
http://allears.net/pl/contact.htm

Old 11-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Food Poisoning is a major Public health concern and as such, the Hospital probably has an obligation to report an actual case to the local health department.

There have been many assertions of food poisoning made on this site--but very few have proven genuine. Your case may well be, but just a doctor saying so to YOU won't do the trick

From what I've gathered reading all of those, a FECAL test is one of the best ways to connect a certain reaction to a certain food.

Before I would do anything else, I would contact Celebration ER and be certain they have followed through with whatever obligations they have to the local Public health dept. And try to learn how many other cases have been reported so they can identify the actual food, etc

To keep anyone else from going thru the same thing, the restaurant and the food that caused the illness would need to be made public.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trips--Old Key West on 4/26/14--will be trip #60 to WDW!! Next a Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!

Last edited by Uncleromulus; 11-24-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
Food Poisoning is a major Public health concern and as such, the Hospital probably has an obligation to report an actual case to the local health department.

There have been many assertions of food poisoning made on this site--but very few have proven genuine. Your case may well be, but just a doctor saying so to YOU won't do the trick

From what I've gathered reading all of those, a FECAL test is almost always required to connect a certain reaction to a certain food.

Before I would do anything else, I would contact Celebration ER and be certain they have followed through with whatever obligations they have to the local Public health dept. And try to learn how many other cases have been reported so they can identify the actual food, etc

To keep anyone else from going thru the same thing, the restaurant and the food that caused the illness would need to be made public.
This. If it was proven to be food poisoning then Disney already knows, they have to make official reports in such cases. If it was an isolated incident, then there's really nothing to do now, other people would have become sick the same time as your DS. If Disney was notified by the health dept. then they most likely have taken the necessary steps to prevent it from happening again.

I also agree to contact the hospital to be sure it really was reported as food poisoning, as the physician may have used that term loosely (although I can't imagine why he would). If there is no official report of food poisoning, I don't see any reason to contact Disney.

Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
[/SIZE]
Old 11-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
freshmanjs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPA View Post
This. If it was proven to be food poisoning then Disney already knows, they have to make official reports in such cases. If it was an isolated incident, then there's really nothing to do now, other people would have become sick the same time as your DS. If Disney was notified by the health dept. then they most likely have taken the necessary steps to prevent it from happening again.

I also agree to contact the hospital to be sure it really was reported as food poisoning, as the physician may have used that term loosely (although I can't imagine why he would). If there is no official report of food poisoning, I don't see any reason to contact Disney.
food poisoning is a colloquial term. the fact that they used it at all indicates they were speaking loosely.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwloverz View Post
I think I would try to get a letter from the Dr, or at least the hospital discharge stating the Dx, and send it to Disney with as much detail of what, when and where as possilbe. Good luck and sorry your son got so sick
Here are some addresses
http://allears.net/pl/contact.htm
Without medical documentation - meaning fecal test results - a letter from the doctor means nothing. Also, did all of you eat the same food? Did everyone get sick? Did your son eat something no one else ate? Those are the types of questions Disney will ask. Just write them a letter or send an email and tell them the situation. They will forward you the forms you need to fill out and the information you will need to provide.

Disney isn't perfect and there have been documented events of food poisoning (Wild Africa Trek a few months ago for one), but there would probably need to be more than one affected guest to tie it to Disney food.

I spent the first night of one of our trips a few years ago in the bathroom vomiting all night long and could have sworn it was my Disney dinner. I contacted Disney the next day while we were still there and they told me the documentation I would need to provide. They had no other incidents of food poisoning from the same restaurant that night and I had no test results, so I had no claim. It could have been the place we stopped at in Ocala on the way down. Or it could have been a bug that I picked up.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
ataylorrdh
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all your comments and concerns. Deb & Bill please don't think I am attacking Disney. I know Disney has high standards and appreciate that fact. That is why we vacation there every year. Unfortunately, in any public food service business, I understand how easy food contamination can happen. We all ate set the same restaurants but ate different things. I did contact manager at our resort and she took the appropriate information. I just wanted to make sure I did everything I could on my end.

Last edited by ataylorrdh; 11-24-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

And please don't mis-understand--we are all sorry your son got sick!!

It's just that similar symptoms CAN come form other sources and it would be wrong to accuse a restaurant of food poisoning IF it weren't actually proven.

If it was truly food poisoning then I would extremely suprised if Celebration hasn't already filed a report with the health department and they would HAVE to contact Disney.
Vacation Club since 1992
Old 11-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #12
TheRustyScupper
Seeing isn't Believing. Believing is Seeing.

Just a Thought . . .

1) I have been following the posting, and have another possibility.
2) The "poisoning" is probably real.
3) But, it easily could not be from the food.
4) When walking around, people touch railings, doors, ride seats, etc.
5) If another person was sick, the illness could have been transmitted.
6) This could be why only one in the family got ill.

NOTE: I have seen complaints of "food poisoning" before, and it was
determined it came from other sources. This IS NOT and excuse for
Disney, just an explanation as to why others did not get sick, and
no reports were made to Public Health.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
Just a Thought . . .

1) I have been following the posting, and have another possibility.
2) The "poisoning" is probably real.
3) But, it easily could not be from the food.
4) When walking around, people touch railings, doors, ride seats, etc.
5) If another person was sick, the illness could have been transmitted.
6) This could be why only one in the family got ill.

NOTE: I have seen complaints of "food poisoning" before, and it was
determined it came from other sources. This IS NOT and excuse for
Disney, just an explanation as to why others did not get sick, and
no reports were made to Public Health.
I was just going to post something very similar to this. While it may very well have been a food borne bacteria that caused your child's illness, it could just as easily have been bacteria from an external source that your son touched and then transferred to his mouth from his hands. Just one of the reasons why I am adamant about handwashing and the use of hand sanitizer when dining out in public.
As pp.s have mentioned, the hospital is required to notify both Disney and the Public Health Department if true food poisoning is suspected and specific tests will need to be done in order to verify it. There's really nothing more for you to do until you've heard back from the hospital and/or the Public Health department.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

I'll echo Uncleromulus' comments that it's most unfortunate the OP's son got so ill an ER trip interfered with their vacation. That sucks.

One question I have is how the source of the problem could be located so long after the fact? If someone becomes ill from ingesting a certain dish at a particular restaurant, what are the odds that there is any evidence of it a few hours or days later? Seems like a real needle/haystack situation.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micca View Post
One question I have is how the source of the problem could be located so long after the fact? If someone becomes ill from ingesting a certain dish at a particular restaurant, what are the odds that there is any evidence of it a few hours or days later? Seems like a real needle/haystack situation.
That's why the PH folks get the big bucks. They have to go back to the restaurant and kitchen and start testing. Everything. Food before and after cooking, storage equipment, cooking equipment, mixing equipment, fridges, stoves, sinks, faucets, kitchen and serving staff. It's a very complex and drawn out process. If you look at the thread involving the Wild Animal Trek case, you will see that it has been months now, and even involved CDC, and final results are STILL pending.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: