Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

Help us pick a resort to stay at!!

We have always stayed off site and enjoy our hotel that we use, but now are wanting to venture into staying a Disney hotel and not break the bank while at it. We are thinking about February but I am trying to shoot for our March trip so my niece will have the experience.

So questions are...

1) have you ever stayed at a hotel for just one night and switched? We are wanting to experience a night at Contemporary but the cost there...

2) dining... Our current hotel we get a free breakfast and also dinner...so should we get the dining plan to cut down on expenses? Where are good places to eat on site?

That's all I can think of right now...just trying to get some ideas. Thanks!

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
DisneyFansInNYC
DIS Veteran

I will be brief....first of all I would try to go early February if you can and get free dining plan if possible. If you are not interested in high end restaurants then I feel you can eat for less than the dining plan.

We love staying on property. It is so much more convenient. Haven't stayed anywhere for 1 night. But I have heard that they will move the luggage for you.

In terms of eating - there are sit down restaurants or quick service restaurants.

The sit down we love are:
Via Napoli in Italy
Biergarten In Germany
Akershaus in Norway (princesses come to the table) more expensive
Ohana in the Polynesian
Tusker House in Animal Kingdom
50s Prime Time or SciFi diner in Hollywood studios
Crystal Palace (Winnie the pooh and friends come to the table)

There are also many quick service that are good:
Columbia House and Pecos Bill in Magic Kingdom
Almost any quick service in Epcot countries

Enjoy your vacation no matter where you stay.

Our 2013 Disney Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLSzd7LSuFc
DisneyFansInNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Eeyore's Wife
DIS Veteran

We have done one night at a hotel and switched. It was easier than I expected. I just packed my bags and sat them by the door and then called down and told them how many bags were being moved. The Mickey Magic moved them for us.

If free dining is not offered you can eat, out of pocket, for less money than the cost of the dining plan in many circumstances.

I also encourage you to consider an early February trip as the crowds and weather are lovely.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
waynesgirl
Maleficent is my hero!

Look for deals now...you'd be surprised how affordable CR is.
WDW Commando Member #138!!!!
Me DH DS24 DD20 DD17 DS8
9/'79-offsite DL; 9/'01-Offsite/ASMo;12/'01-Offsite; 9/'02-ASMo; 4/'03-ASMo; 9/'03-offsite; 11/'04-CSR; '05-Wedding and NEW BABY;9/'07-SSR; 4/'08-POR; 9/'08-CBR; 11/'08-WL; 4/'09-DLParis; 11/'09-POFQ; 4/'10-AKL; 11/'10-CR; 4/'11-BWI, from Italy!; 11/'11-YC; 9/'12-Wyndham; 11/'12-AoA/Cars; 2/'13 CSR; 3/'13-Dolphin; 8/'13-offsite; 10/'13-offsite; 11/'13-AlStSport; 2/'14-offsite; 4/'14-POP; 6/'14-offsite; 10/'14 offsite; 12/'14 ASMo- and many more.
waynesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
dakotix
Mouseketeer

we've stayed in two Disney hotels before as well. Its an easy move. As stated before the Disney staff will help you get your things moved to the new hotel but be sure you request that when you check in. I've been told that service is not always available.

We're actually staying one night at Pop Century in January and then the rest of our trip in Coronado Springs Resort (CSR) for a week. We're staying the extra night at Pop because the flight was cheaper if we left a day earlier. We took advantage of the Stay/Play/Dine offer (for two guests) and saved quite a bit ($600) which is almost the cost of the dining plan for two.

The last time we stayed at two hotels was a while ago (~ 10 years ago) We stayed at port Orleans and then the final two nights were at Contemporary. It was a perfect ending to a great trip. If you're going to go with a deluxe hotel during your trip I suggest checking in to that hotel at the end of your trip. They really give you the royal treatment at that level and its a great way to end your trip.

The stay/play/dine offer which is pretty much free dining ends the beginning of March. If you time your check-in by March 7, 2013 you will be able to apply it for your whole trip. Have fun planning!
1978 - DL Blue Stroller!1982 - Intl. Drive1984 - Intl. Drive1986 - Intl. Drive1988 - Intl. Drive1992 - Intl. Drive1994 - Port Orleans1996 - Port Orleans2000 - Port Orleans/ Contemporary2002 All Star2006 - DTD 2013 - Pop/ Coronado Springs2014 - Coronado Springs
dakotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
TDluvsDaisy
DVC Member BCV & VGF

1) I've done split stays before and it is remarkably easy. You do have to be in the room for the bag pick up but Disney makes it as easy as possible.

Check out the stay, play, dine offer or the room discount. It can make a difference based on when you want to go. The offer ends at the end of December.

2) For dining you really need to do the math to see if it works for you. With the room discount you can always add tickets and dining to make a package. However in some cases it doesn't work out to your advantage and it's best to eat out of pocket. It depends on your eating preferences.

Feel free to PM me if you need help.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: