Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
CherryPie3
Earning My Ears

Tips for a first time driver to DLP...

(this is my first ever post on these boards )

My husband and I are planning on driving to DLP next year, staying offsite and using AP's.

We have never driven abroad anywhere - does anyone have any tips for us?

I am looking into tolls and channel crossing options but I know nothing about driving in France apart from it's on the right side of the road and there are certain items you must have in your car - that's all sorted, the husband is on it.

I imagine my husband will do the bulk of the driving as I'm not the most confident driver in unfamiliar places - although I'd love to help him out as it's a long drive from West Yorkshire.

Is it an easy drive?

Any tips are gratefully received!! Many thanks
Disneyland Paris, 1st-8th June, Adagio Access (Magny le Hongre) using AP's.
CherryPie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

Hello and welcome to the boards

You can have a look at the useful information sticky on driving and I'm sure that you will get people along with their own experiences

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2802801

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=46132130

I obviously don't drive to DLP from the UK but I'm on French roads nearly everyday so know a bit about driving here in general.

To get you started here's a post about radars and road signs

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=14

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
CherryPie3
Earning My Ears

Thanks

I'll bookmark those threads so my husband can read them too.

So nervous about driving in France!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

Don't be, most people seem to think that it's nicer than driving in the UK.

You can find other threads by doing a search on the forum

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
CherryPie3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie_Cat View Post

Thanks, I'll do a search once I know my way around the boards a little better
Old 11-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie_Cat View Post

I'm one of those people who prefer driving in France. I have gone to Disney on all forms of transport but prefer driving for many reasons, its very straightforward, no luggage restrictions & you can nearly always get better travel slots then if you were flying etc.

I live in Kent so its an easy options for me, its only about 3 hour drive once you are in Calais

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
IsobelJackmummy
Mouseketeer

Hello

We have driven to Disney 3 times from the north west, and we are doing it again in feb. it is so easy, as carrie said, the roads are easier than the uk, and there are so many stopping points too, great when travelling with children.

We have looked at every option each time we have booked, and driving always wins based on price, convenience and so much easier than thinking about luggage restrictions etc!

We save money too by taking lots of bottled water, snacks etc for while we are there.

There is lotś of info on the sticky thread, but if you have any questions, just ask!

1999 -WDW off site, 2003 - WDW off site, Feb 2010 - DLRP SL, Oct 2010 -DLRP SL, Feb 2012 - DLRP SL, Feb 2013 - DLRP HNY
IsobelJackmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Hi CherryPie3 to the Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board.

This is a friendly board, please join in on any thread or if you have any questions please start a new one of your own.

If you haven't had a look yet, the DLP DISboard posting rules are here and the DIS posting guidelines can be found here.

Hope this thread will help.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #9
cherrymarzipan
DIS Veteran

Hi

Another thumbs up for driving to DLP here!

If you have a digital speedometer remember to switch it to kilometres from miles per hour before setting off and if you have a SAT NAV it is a legal requirement to turn off the radar warnings. Remember also that in wet weather the auto-route speed limit goes down from 130 kmh to 110.

Bonne route!
cherrymarzipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:34 AM   #10
Nubbedy
I was born without a 'Hidden-Mickey-spotting' gene
ºoº

Hi and Welcome!

Another vote for the ease of driving in France. It's very straightforward, the only place we have ever really needed the Satnav is around CDG airport area. I love the way the French really have it sorted with rest areas, they are so frequent, unlike the motorway service areas in the UK.

Don't forget European breakdown cover. We forgot earlier this year (can't even work out how!) and typically ended up on our way home with a puncture. Despite my terrible French speaking skills, we were helped by some lovely people in the service area, and everyone who assisted us after that were fantastic. A costly mistake, but luckily not too traumatic!

And you'll have room in your car for lots of souvenirs!

Sara My Disbuddy is kristieuk
Disney World - July 2006 (ASMo), Aug 2007 (ASMo), Apr 2008 (Pop), Aug 2009 (POFQ), Aug 2010 (POFQ), Oct 2011 (POFQ) Aug 2012 (POFQ) Aug 2013 (POFQ)
Disneyland Paris - Jan 2007 (NY), Oct 2008 (Ch), Feb 2010 (Ch), Feb 2011 (Ch), Aug 2011 (SL)
Feb 2012 (Ch) Dec 2012 (Ch) Feb 2013 (Ch) Feb 2014 (Ch)
Nubbedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
CherryPie3
Earning My Ears

Absolutely awesome replies, thank you so so much!!

I have been informed by my husband that I will under no circumstances be doing any driving in France - I don't know whether to feel offended or relived!

I haven't had chance to read all those recommended threads yet but once the kids are in bed today I'll have loads of time (the ironing can wait!).

I've been recommended to travelling by eurostar rather than ferry as it has better motorway links at Calais? This would make sense really as we were planning to stay overnight at Ashford travelodge then catch an early channel crossing to make the best of daylight (although we are travelling in July so daylight won't be exactly scarce...).

Thanks again, I love these boards
Old 11-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
MissSkellington
Of cabbages and kings...

We'll be driving in the morning...Only 4 hours but fingers crossed!

I for one won't be driving...good thing DH likes to drive!
Lots of good info in here, thanks for asking that!
*WDW 2005 - POP (April) *DLR 2008 (May) - offsite
*DLR 2008 (Oct) - offsite *DLR 2009 (Dec) - offsite
*WDW 2011 (Feb) POR *1st DLRP 2012 (Nov) SL
*DLRP 2013 (Feb) NPBC *DLRP 2013 (June) DLH
*DLRP 2013 (Oct) SL *DLRP 2013 (Nov) HNY *DLRP 2014 (Jan) DLH
MissSkellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie3
Absolutely awesome replies, thank you so so much!!

I have been informed by my husband that I will under no circumstances be doing any driving in France - I don't know whether to feel offended or relived!

I haven't had chance to read all those recommended threads yet but once the kids are in bed today I'll have loads of time (the ironing can wait!).

I've been recommended to travelling by eurostar rather than ferry as it has better motorway links at Calais? This would make sense really as we were planning to stay overnight at Ashford travelodge then catch an early channel crossing to make the best of daylight (although we are travelling in July so daylight won't be exactly scarce...).

Thanks again, I love these boards
Take it you mean Eurotunnel? You can't take your Car in Eurostar. No real difference, in fact I find it easier to pick the motorway up from the ferry port. I go by the tunnel mostly as I get discount due to my uncle working for them plus it's quicker.

Also if you have a diesel car it's cheaper to buy fuel in France then over here. Petrol is more expensive.

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
IsobelJackmummy
Mouseketeer

The euro tunnel is really easy, and very fast. If you happen to collect tesco clubcard points, you can exchange these for vouchers for the tunnel. We haven't paid for any of our crossings!

We stay at the holiday inn express in folkstone, literally a couple of minutes away from the tunne. generally fifty pounds for a family room including a hot breakfast.

1999 -WDW off site, 2003 - WDW off site, Feb 2010 - DLRP SL, Oct 2010 -DLRP SL, Feb 2012 - DLRP SL, Feb 2013 - DLRP HNY
IsobelJackmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #15
CherryPie3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSkellington View Post
We'll be driving in the morning...Only 4 hours but fingers crossed!

I for one won't be driving...good thing DH likes to drive!
Lots of good info in here, thanks for asking that!
Have a great trip!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan View Post
Take it you mean Eurotunnel? You can't take your Car in Eurostar. No real difference, in fact I find it easier to pick the motorway up from the ferry port. I go by the tunnel mostly as I get discount due to my uncle working for them plus it's quicker.

Also if you have a diesel car it's cheaper to buy fuel in France then over here. Petrol is more expensive.
Yep, I meant Eurotunnel - not sure why I wrote eurostar as I know the difference - I blame the kids for distracting me! I love the fact eurotunnel only takes a little over half an hour, the kids could sleep through that.

And thanks for the info on fuel costs - we'll be taking my car which is a diesel and will fill it up when we get to the mainland.
This might sound like a random question but what are the pumps like in France, can you pay at the pump or at the desk? Do they accept credit/debit cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsobelJackmummy View Post
The euro tunnel is really easy, and very fast. If you happen to collect tesco clubcard points, you can exchange these for vouchers for the tunnel. We haven't paid for any of our crossings!

We stay at the holiday inn express in folkstone, literally a couple of minutes away from the tunne. generally fifty pounds for a family room including a hot breakfast.
I do collect Tesco points but not enough to get me a crossing I fear - I just got my latest set of vouchers through this week...£3.

We have priced up a Travelodge in Ashford which for the 5 of us is just £24 for the night which we thought was perfect. Our youngest son will still be under 3 (just!) so he will be in a travelcot.

All fab replies, gonna carry on reading through those threads... Thanks so much everyone.

Last edited by CherryPie3; 11-19-2012 at 01:58 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: