Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out
 
wdwmom0f3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7,940

Quick question on waiting

My daughter was just accepted into the spring program, but she is now considering waiting until this fall. She is just worried that if she waits it will not look good and she may not get back in. Does anyone have any advice for her? Has anyone waited and applied later and been accepted?
__________________
Carla DH DD 21 DD 16 DS 13

Last edited by wdwmom0f3; 11-17-2012 at 01:02 AM.
wdwmom0f3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
tikistitch
Mouseketeer
 
tikistitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 134

I know quite a few people who declined their spring invitation and then applied for fall and got it again. However, just because she was accepted for spring isn't a guarantee that she'll get in again for fall. Declining an invitation doesn't impact future hiring decisions, I don't think. I was one of the people who declined a spring invitation, and got in for the current fall semester. I had to leave the program for various reasons, but was told that after 6 months I can apply to try again.

On that note, though, is you can only apply once every 6 months. Fall applications usually go live at the end of January/early Feb.
tikistitch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out
 
wdwmom0f3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7,940

Thank you so very much. I kind of hope she will go ahead and go since she has a friend who will be there for a second time when she would be there, but it's totally up to her.

If you have any other advice please let me know. We can use all of the help we can get.

Thanks again!
__________________
Carla DH DD 21 DD 16 DS 13
wdwmom0f3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
tikistitch
Mouseketeer
 
tikistitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 134

I would have her assess the reasons she wants to wait. If it's for an academic reason, it might be worth it to wait! I'm applying again to do the Fall 2013 program (I graduated this year, but am going to take a couple of community college courses to be able to apply). The experience is definitely worth it, no matter which semester she ends up going!

I think the fall program is probably a bit tougher for some people though, because you're away from your family for big holidays like thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm not sure if that would be a factor for her or not, but it's something to take into consideration.
tikistitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out
 
wdwmom0f3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7,940

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikistitch View Post
I would have her assess the reasons she wants to wait. If it's for an academic reason, it might be worth it to wait! I'm applying again to do the Fall 2013 program (I graduated this year, but am going to take a couple of community college courses to be able to apply). The experience is definitely worth it, no matter which semester she ends up going!

I think the fall program is probably a bit tougher for some people though, because you're away from your family for big holidays like thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm not sure if that would be a factor for her or not, but it's something to take into consideration.
The reason is to get more classes in before she goes. She has a scholarship that will expire soon so she is thinking it would be better to just suck it up and finish and then go in the fall. It would actually be better for us to because we could visit her more during the holidays. We are only 8 hours away. She really didn't think that she would get in so fast. I am leaving it up to her, but I do want her to give it a try at some point. I think she would love it! It's a dream of hers too so she should do this while she is young and not tied down to someone.

I wish I was young again! I would do this in a heartbeat!!
__________________
Carla DH DD 21 DD 16 DS 13
wdwmom0f3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
aznshents
Mouseketeer
 
aznshents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Winter Garden, FL
Posts: 495

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom0f3 View Post
The reason is to get more classes in before she goes. She has a scholarship that will expire soon so she is thinking it would be better to just suck it up and finish and then go in the fall. It would actually be better for us to because we could visit her more during the holidays. We are only 8 hours away. She really didn't think that she would get in so fast. I am leaving it up to her, but I do want her to give it a try at some point. I think she would love it! It's a dream of hers too so she should do this while she is young and not tied down to someone.

I wish I was young again! I would do this in a heartbeat!!

As difficult as this decision may be to wait... You should suggest to her that she should finish school. It is so much more worry-free when you've graduated and come down on a program, you can extend your program into another CP and PI without worries of postponing school further, and you can make longer-term plans because you don't have to return to school after finishing it. The fall season is also (in my opinion) the better season- better weather, cooler events, lower crowd levels (For the most part. Not during Christmas. Hoo boy.), and the castle and MK are GORGEOUS during Christmas

So as hard as it may be to postpone it another 6 months, in my opinion, she will be that much happier she did.
aznshents is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.