Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
WorldWacky
DIS Veteran

I hate sandy!!!

Well...it's official. My husband's school district cancelled President's Week break. I have to cancel our Disney trip. My dining reservations were made at the 180 day mark. Got everything I wanted. My TA saved us $700 on some deal. Awesome. Now, nuthin'. So sad. Since we have to go during the breaks with all the other swarms of people and when the prices are high, I like to go during February. If I have to pay school vacation prices and deal with the crowds, at least we don't melt! We'll have to push it back until next Feb. Today we celebrated the kids' birthdays with my inlaws. My 8 yr. old just said, "Wishes don't come true!" She told me that when she blew out the candles today, she wished that we could go on our trip. When we came home, we got the message about President's Week.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
TSWJan78
DIS Veteran

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Are there any previsions for pre planned vacations. I know a few years ago my dads school canceled April vacation but anyone who could show prepurchased vacations were still allowed to go

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 11-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
BMWTeamLeader
Earning My Ears

So Sorry...

Bumping back a trip so far out is hard. We had to do the same thing (and we were originally booked for next July; now we are looking at July '14) We try to look at the positives...less contruction in MK and we won't have to make an extra trip just to ride the mine coaster. Crowds hovering over the new stuff will be less I'm certain...and for us we will debt free too!...I am sure your 8 year old might not underatand these positives (my 10 year old didn't)...just hang in there....We here on the DIS willkeep you company

August 2015: AoA Lion King Suite Me DW DD11
April 2007: ASMo (Fantasia), WDW Swan, FW Campground Me DD5
March 2000: AsMo (101 Dalmations) Me DGf
BMWTeamLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Happy 2 B Me
I have ears --just not Disney Ears.

If your children are younger then 8 -- just take them out of school. We did this when we would spend winters in Hawaii. We actually paid for a friend or relative to fly over with our daughter they would then get a nice free trip. They would say with us, we paid for airfare, and I cook all our meals in our condo. We did this till she was in high school then we limited her stay to <10 days. She and a friend would fly over for our annual learning experience. Yep it was all in the wording. She ending up taking poylnesian dance for 12 years -- neighbor at mainland home was one of the teachers. If for some reason your husband can not atten that would be different. You need to treat your self and family to a vaction. You have been through an awful experience with "Sandy" . This trip was planned months ago. I would think School would understand being they have only cancelled the vacation due to missing days Re: Sandy. Don't feel bad Epcot is a great park where not only kids but adults learn about gardening, ocean fish, and even enegry and from where we get it. Each park is so well done you are learning as you enjoy the fun of Disney. I say go for it.

Happy 2 B Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Yeah, I would still go no matter what. Family vacations > 5 measly days of school.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Sorry to hear this.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
WorldWacky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
Yeah, I would still go no matter what. Family vacations > 5 measly days of school.
If it were just the kids, it would be one story, but my husband is a teacher. His district sent out an email last week asking how many teachers had non-refundable tickets for the break. Anyone else who takes off won't be paid for the days they take. I really didn't think they would go through with cancelling break though. I can't really complain too much. The kids (10, 8 and 8)and I are incredibly disappointed, but we got very lucky with the hurricane. We only lost a couple of trees. So many others lost so much more. So I guess I should just stop my belly-aching. As others have said in the past, Disney will be there in a year. And yes, with the Mine Train.

BTW, can anyone tell me how to get rid of my ticker? This one was for our cruise this past summer!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: