Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

We also all go to bed at the same time. To be honest, at Disney we are all tired at the days end. This also helps to have everyone up at the same time. I agree that 2 rooms or DVC would be expensive. You are not in room that much time! Good luck, I will be it will be magical!!
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by set1208 View Post
I also have four kids and we are staying at POR too. My plan is to have my 2 and 12 year old girls in one bed and my 4 and 6 year old boys on the little Murphy sleeping end to end. They're little enough to share a small space and don't really wiggle too much at night.

If you're like us, getting two rooms or a suite just doesn't fit into the budget. $3000 is a lot for a week with 6, not including travel costs!

Good luck!
I'm not sure your plan to have 2 kids on the murphy bed will work. It is very small! Plus it is not made to hold the weight of 2 kids. I would be afraid one of them would roll off, or it would break! Have you given any thought to bringing along an air mattress?

As far as cost goes, 2 rooms at a value cost only a tiny bit more than 1 room at POR. Depending on dates, as little as $8 a night. So not expensive at all!
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #18
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

The murphy bed is 66" long, 31" wide - so, if your kids are about 2 1/4 ft tall, two should fit, end to end. That would be two small toddlers, not a 4 and 6 year old.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #19
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

It's my understanding that to have an occupancy of 6 with a child under 3, it's expected to have a crib in the room. In any circumstance, it will be a tight fit trying to fit six in a moderate room. I agree that the Murphy bed is not meant for 2 to sleep on due to the height and weight restrictions.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #20
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Question: If the OP is staying on the SPD special offer, wouldn't her dining plan get "downgraded" to the QSDP if she were to switch to a value resort (either a family suite or 2 connecting rooms)? Wouldn't that drive the cost of her trip up even more if she wants the DDP?

Not trying to be argumentative, because I think they are going to be very cramped in a POR room. But I can see why she may have chosen to go with one room at POR if it means that she gets the better dining plan for her family for much less money.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
MickeyHereWeCome!
DIS Veteran

I have to agree about the Melatonin!!!! I've got two with Asperger's, and I sure wish I knew about this with my oldest!! it is helping with my youngest so much! It comes in drop form, and we get it shipped from Amazon.

I'm willing to bet that the kids will all be so exhausted from walking around at the parks, that they will crash right away. We have four, and they are usually asleep within minutes of hitting the pillow.

I also totally agree with using Pull ups! I can't even imagine dealing with a wet bed in the middle of the night while on vacation (and sharing with a sibling). Just eliminate that worry all together!

We used to bring our "cricket machine" to hotels...anything that will provide some white noise.

Good luck! It will all work out, and I honestly think they will be so tired it won't be an issue. Now..the first night might be tricky, since they'll probably be so excited for the fun to begin!

Animal Kingdom 2002
All Star Movies 2004
All Star Movies October 2006
Animal Kingdom Lodge January 2009
Offsite Surprise Trip June 2010
Surprise Trip July 2012, Bonnet Creek/AKL
MickeyHereWeCome! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #22
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I'm not sure your plan to have 2 kids on the murphy bed will work. It is very small! Plus it is not made to hold the weight of 2 kids. I would be afraid one of them would roll off, or it would break! Have you given any thought to bringing along an air mattress?

As far as cost goes, 2 rooms at a value cost only a tiny bit more than 1 room at POR. Depending on dates, as little as $8 a night. So not expensive at all!
I'll only have one on the murphy bed. The 2 year old will be in a pack n play.

We did look into other options that would give us more space, but decided on POR because it's actually less expensive than either a suite in the values or 2 individual rooms (by quite a bit) and this will be the only time we'll be able to stay there if the whole family is going because by the time we would go back our youngest will be over 2 so we would exceed maximum occupancy.

We're not planning on spending that much time in the room and I'm hoping they'll be exhausted enough to sleep so it won't be an issue, but I want to be prepared just in case.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #23
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
Question: If the OP is staying on the SPD special offer, wouldn't her dining plan get "downgraded" to the QSDP if she were to switch to a value resort (either a family suite or 2 connecting rooms)? Wouldn't that drive the cost of her trip up even more if she wants the DDP?

Not trying to be argumentative, because I think they are going to be very cramped in a POR room. But I can see why she may have chosen to go with one room at POR if it means that she gets the better dining plan for her family for much less money.
Yes! Keeping the DDP (we did get the SPD deal) will end up costing us quite a bit more.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #24
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifie View Post
With all 4 kids. I'm so incredibly excited about going to WDW, but the prospect of having all 4 of them in one hotel room makes me nervous. We're staying at POR.

I don't think the 2 year old will be a problem. She'll sleep when she's tired and if it comes right down to it we can bring her into our bed. The 4 year old and 7 year old will probably take a while to go to sleep, but I think it will be OK because (hopefully) they'll be exhausted. We'll have those two share the other bed, I think. I'm a little worried because the 4 year old still wets the bed. We're working on it, but the last thing I need is for him to pee on his sister in the middle of the night. LOL. Right now he freaks out if I even suggest putting him in a diaper overnight, but depending on how things go, I might insist. I've been using GoodNites bed pads and I like them a lot, so maybe I'll bring a pack.

The one I'm worried about is my 9 year old. She has special needs and she's the one most likely to get up and wander around at night. I'm mostly worried about her getting up and bothering her siblings. I'm also worried that she won't sleep. When she was in 1st grade (a year and a half ago) she went with her class to stay overnight at the county's outdoor education center (whoever thought it would be fun to take 100 1st graders on an overnight trip was insane, IMO) and she didn't sleep at all. That is my biggest fear. I know she won't be able to stay awake forever, but it might be tough to get her to sleep at a reasonable time.

Does anyone have any good tips for getting young kids to sleep in a strange place when they're excited to be at WDW, etc.
Would it possible for you to sleep with the 9 year old. Your DH with the 4 year old and the 7 year old on the fold down bed? The 2 year old will be in the pack-n-play.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #25
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyHereWeCome! View Post
I have to agree about the Melatonin!!!! I've got two with Asperger's, and I sure wish I knew about this with my oldest!! it is helping with my youngest so much! It comes in drop form, and we get it shipped from Amazon.

I'm willing to bet that the kids will all be so exhausted from walking around at the parks, that they will crash right away. We have four, and they are usually asleep within minutes of hitting the pillow.

I also totally agree with using Pull ups! I can't even imagine dealing with a wet bed in the middle of the night while on vacation (and sharing with a sibling). Just eliminate that worry all together!

We used to bring our "cricket machine" to hotels...anything that will provide some white noise.

Good luck! It will all work out, and I honestly think they will be so tired it won't be an issue. Now..the first night might be tricky, since they'll probably be so excited for the fun to begin!
I should have been cleared. Our oldest doesn't usually have trouble sleeping. It was an issue one time when she was in a strange place without the family with a lot of other kids around. I'm worried about the strange place with the whole family in the same room. We're driving down and we did decide to do it in two days, instead of one really long day, partly because we're hoping they'll have a night to get used to the novelty of a hotel room before we really *need* them to sleep.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #26
set1208
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
The murphy bed is 66" long, 31" wide - so, if your kids are about 2 1/4 ft tall, two should fit, end to end. That would be two small toddlers, not a 4 and 6 year old.
We'll make it work somehow. My cousin and i spent years sleeping end to end on a twin bed when we had sleepovers. Just a stinky foot in the face once in a while...lol. It shouldn't be a big deal. We have a lot of options for bed sharing if my plan doesn't work out.

When I called to make my res, I originally asked for a value suite but the cm recommended this room which gave us better dining at almost $800 less so if its tight, it's tight. Not the worst thing in the world. We are most likely driving (unless another $3000 for airfare magically appears before we leave) so I like the idea if the pp to pack an air mattress. I am also going to pull out our pack and play and see if my dd fits still. If so, I'll just have the hotel bring one up to us, problem solved.

We travel every month together so we are all checked out on getting along in small hotel rooms. We are all pretty easy going so I'm not worried. I understand the concern for parents with special needs kids though. The little things that I take for granted with my kids like schedule changes or sleeping in new places are easy for us to work around where it may be so disruptive to others.
May 2010.....ASMu Mother/Daughter Trip for DD's 10th Birthday
February 2009.....CBR family trip
October 2004.....Pop Century, MNSSHP with me and DD
set1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #27
camdensmom
DIS Veteran

We are now a "Party of 5." We last stayed at POR when it was just DH, myself and our then 2.5 year old. At the time the rooms had 2 full-size beds (I think they are queens now) and we had the pack n play for our son. I remember the room feeling REALLY small with just the 3 of us. I couldn't imagine staying in that space with 6!

We now have 3 year old twins. Since they were born we've stayed at the Contemporary, Caribbean Beach and will be staying at the Polynesian this next trip. I know your plan is to not spend much time in the hotel room, and I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but you just never know. During the Contemporary trip we all ended up with a stomach bug. We spent far more time in the room than planned and I was very grateful to have had the extra space and balcony.
The Caribbean Beach was way too tight, but it was only a 3 night stay. Also the girls were in diapers so there was only 3 of us sharing the bathroom.

With a family of that size, I would stay off site at a condo. Did you consider the cabins at FW? They are reasonable in cost and would allow you 2 rooms and more space.
camdensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #28
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdensmom View Post
We are now a "Party of 5." We last stayed at POR when it was just DH, myself and our then 2.5 year old. At the time the rooms had 2 full-size beds (I think they are queens now) and we had the pack n play for our son. I remember the room feeling REALLY small with just the 3 of us. I couldn't imagine staying in that space with 6!

We now have 3 year old twins. Since they were born we've stayed at the Contemporary, Caribbean Beach and will be staying at the Polynesian this next trip. I know your plan is to not spend much time in the hotel room, and I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but you just never know. During the Contemporary trip we all ended up with a stomach bug. We spent far more time in the room than planned and I was very grateful to have had the extra space and balcony.
The Caribbean Beach was way too tight, but it was only a 3 night stay. Also the girls were in diapers so there was only 3 of us sharing the bathroom.

With a family of that size, I would stay off site at a condo. Did you consider the cabins at FW? They are reasonable in cost and would allow you 2 rooms and more space.
And the cabins are mods so you would keep your dining plan.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:02 AM   #29
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by set1208 View Post
We'll make it work somehow. My cousin and i spent years sleeping end to end on a twin bed when we had sleepovers. Just a stinky foot in the face once in a while...lol. It shouldn't be a big deal. We have a lot of options for bed sharing if my plan doesn't work out.
If you are driving down, I really think you should pack an air-mattress as additional sleep space. I popped over to the POR thread and PMd the CM who hangs out there (who is very helpful!). I wanted to see if he thought I was being a worry wart about 2 kids not fitting on the murphy bed. He didn't think it would be a good idea either, and said an air-mattress would be the way to go for one of those children.

Keep in mind too they are meant to hold the weight of one small child, not two. As new as they are it would be a shame if the beds started to show wear and tear if they are not used as intended.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #30
crl
DIS Veteran

My son still wets the bed sometimes after a long day and he's overtired. What I do for him is usually try to have him on an air mattress (with the soft fuzzy feeling top) with a thick towel doubled up in the correct spot of the bed. Then you can just rip off the wet stuff and hand them a blanket to go back to sleep. The mattress still feels soft instead of plastic and they are normally so tired it doesn't matter for the next 2 or 3 hours.

I would definitely do a trial run of sleeping all the same room if you can. Maybe a local hotel or even a sleepover in the living room. They can all get used to the idea of needing to sleep in a different environment together.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: