Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Dreading the first time in a hotel

With all 4 kids. I'm so incredibly excited about going to WDW, but the prospect of having all 4 of them in one hotel room makes me nervous. We're staying at POR.

I don't think the 2 year old will be a problem. She'll sleep when she's tired and if it comes right down to it we can bring her into our bed. The 4 year old and 7 year old will probably take a while to go to sleep, but I think it will be OK because (hopefully) they'll be exhausted. We'll have those two share the other bed, I think. I'm a little worried because the 4 year old still wets the bed. We're working on it, but the last thing I need is for him to pee on his sister in the middle of the night. LOL. Right now he freaks out if I even suggest putting him in a diaper overnight, but depending on how things go, I might insist. I've been using GoodNites bed pads and I like them a lot, so maybe I'll bring a pack.

The one I'm worried about is my 9 year old. She has special needs and she's the one most likely to get up and wander around at night. I'm mostly worried about her getting up and bothering her siblings. I'm also worried that she won't sleep. When she was in 1st grade (a year and a half ago) she went with her class to stay overnight at the county's outdoor education center (whoever thought it would be fun to take 100 1st graders on an overnight trip was insane, IMO) and she didn't sleep at all. That is my biggest fear. I know she won't be able to stay awake forever, but it might be tough to get her to sleep at a reasonable time.

Does anyone have any good tips for getting young kids to sleep in a strange place when they're excited to be at WDW, etc.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Anyway you can upgrade to a place that will give you a little more room? I think you are going to be very tight. Perhaps you could look at one of the suits at AOA or a cabin at FW where you have a little bit of room to spread out and a place to take your older DD if she is having issues.

As for the bed wetting....I would absolutely insist on pull-ups. Being over tired tends to increase bed wetting and you don't want to deal with wet smelly stuff nor, be charge a damage fee for the mattress.

Does you older DD sleep well at home? Perhaps try to stick to their normal bedtime and routines. Over tired kids sleep less well sometimes rather than better. Maybe talk to her doctor and consider, if she is always a poor sleeper, looking into a medication that would help. Loss of sleep can create a lot of behavior issues.

January, after the first week, is a GREAT time to go. Low crowds and lower prices should help you have a great trip.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Janet Hill
DIS Veteran

I would either rent dvc points and stay at a dvc resort or go offsite to another timeshare rental.

Lots of space and if 2yo wets the bed w/d in unit to take care of laundry quickly.

For the 9yo, I would get melotonin to help with the sleep. Works like a charm for my now 15 yr (aspergers and sleep issues). Not habit forming, he can go for a few weeks without it, but when stressed out it helps him relax. He's been taking it since he was 8. Check it out. I get it at Trader Joes.

4 kids in one room would make me crazy.
Janet Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Maybe look into a sound spa kindof thing for white noise in the room. We took last time to CBR & will never travel without again! You don't hear all the trampling past your room & bathroom noises, which tend to wake our family up. Definately close your bathroom door, as noise leaks through the walls in there the most. I would insist on pullups for the bedwetter as well. For us the maintaining sleep was much easier with the rain sound in room, I tried on timer first as I thought they would just need for falling asleep. After 1st night, it ran continually through the night. DH & I were leary, but found it realxing. Usually everyone is so tired at Disney, sleeping isn't the issue it is other places. FWIW, my kids prefer all in 1 room in strange location to DVC type deals. The couple times we had DVC 1 bedrooms, it was 1 very crowded, uncomfortable bed as no one wanted to be in the other room in the dark without Mom & Dad. They really don't like the pullouts either, so hotel rooms work better for us.
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
(whoever thought it would be fun to take 100 1st graders on an overnight trip was insane, IMO)

I agree. That's a really weird field trip.

Does anyone have any good tips for getting young kids to sleep in a strange place when they're excited to be at WDW, etc.
Well, I don't have experience with 4, but I know that DS sleeps the BEST he EVER sleeps when we are at Disney. Me, too, and I'm a lousy sleeper. When I was a toddler I *never* took naps. As a teen I could sleep in for ages, but naps were almost impossible until I was college age. What I'm saying is that I'm a cruddy sleeper and so is my son, but Disney makes us very exhausted that there are no problems sleeping.

Do you have any time to try a hotel room before the trip? Get something from priceline and just go try it out, or at least get them used to what a hotel room will be like?

For my family, weird food ingredients cause weird behavior, so if you even suspect that this might be an issue, especially with the older one, keep an eye on the diet while you're there.

During the transition to DS being fully done with diapers (and me being OK with the idea of him being done...DS figured it out young so it freaked me out) I had a reusable pad for the bed. PUL fabric on one side and fleece on the other. Nice and big and *soft*.

And during that process I noticed that when DS got squirmy in his sleep, when he started groaning and moving and kicking, that was when he HAD TO go to the bathroom. If I could get him up and to the potty or toilet during that time, it helped a great deal. The pee went in the right place, no one had to change clothes or sheets, and everyone got back to sleep almost immediately. Ever since figuring that out with DS, I have mentioned it whenever I read of a child having a hard time with nighttime...because maybe they are keeping themselves asleep when they *should* wake up and go pee.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifie View Post
With all 4 kids. I'm so incredibly excited about going to WDW, but the prospect of having all 4 of them in one hotel room makes me nervous. We're staying at POR.

I don't think the 2 year old will be a problem. She'll sleep when she's tired and if it comes right down to it we can bring her into our bed. The 4 year old and 7 year old will probably take a while to go to sleep, but I think it will be OK because (hopefully) they'll be exhausted. We'll have those two share the other bed, I think. I'm a little worried because the 4 year old still wets the bed. We're working on it, but the last thing I need is for him to pee on his sister in the middle of the night. LOL. Right now he freaks out if I even suggest putting him in a diaper overnight, but depending on how things go, I might insist. I've been using GoodNites bed pads and I like them a lot, so maybe I'll bring a pack.

The one I'm worried about is my 9 year old. She has special needs and she's the one most likely to get up and wander around at night. I'm mostly worried about her getting up and bothering her siblings. I'm also worried that she won't sleep. When she was in 1st grade (a year and a half ago) she went with her class to stay overnight at the county's outdoor education center (whoever thought it would be fun to take 100 1st graders on an overnight trip was insane, IMO) and she didn't sleep at all. That is my biggest fear. I know she won't be able to stay awake forever, but it might be tough to get her to sleep at a reasonable time.

I don't think it's fair to the 7 yo to assign her to a bed with her brother when there is a very high likelihood that he is going to pee on her during the night. Is there a reason why the boy can't sleep on the Murphy bed and the girls share the queen-size bed?

Regardless, I would insist on Goodnights for the child. Not the bed pads, the underwear. You don't want to have to deal with soaked linens and pajamas every morning. In my world, the child would not get to have veto privileges on the matter.

If you feel that your older daughter needs more time to unwind, one of the parents can take her outside of the room while the little ones settle in. Maybe for a stroll around the resort (POR is lovely at night)? Or just sit outside the room and count the stars. If she enjoys being read to, take a book and spend some one-on-one time with her, away from the other kids. Being in a new environment can be very stimulating and this might help her relax a bit. Or if she has an ipod, let her listen to it in bed until she falls asleep.

It can be tough when you have the entire family crammed into a single room for the entire vacation. Everyone is going to have to compromise a little. But I'll bet that by the end of the week, you will all be so tired when you get to the room that everyone will drop off to sleep with no problems at all.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
kohlby
DIS Veteran

I'd sleep in the same bed with the wandering child. I'd put Goodnights on the bed wetter.

We have 5 and share a hotel room. We've found it works well for one parent to take the older child/children out of the room while I get the youngest to sleep. (Or younger two). That way, the oldest doesn't keep the others awake. And it gives the oldest some wind down time which is very important for him.
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

If I were you I would get a bigger place. That many people in a hotel room would drive me batty!!

After our second child came along we stopped doing Disney resorts and started staying at Bonnet Creek. It is on Disney property and you have SO much more space and LOTS cheaper than a Disney resort. We get a two bedroom. One bedroom has a king bed and the other has two double beds. You can also get 3 and 4 bedroom. We love having our own space and not being cramped in a small hotel room.

kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifie View Post

Stressing won;t make it any better. The little ones will crash hard after a daya t the parks. I don't know the extent of you daughter's special needs but maybe you could sleep with her. I suspect after a day at the park, she may be more than ready to snooze

As for the bed wetting, make sure they go potty right before bed AND use the pullups just for bed time.

Good luck!
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (March)
2012 BLT (November), 2013 BWV
brettcw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Another vote for larger accomodations.

We're a family of 6, and we typically rent a 4BR house in Windsor Hills. Even when we only had 3 kids, we found that a single hotel room meant for 5 was too small. we were tripping all over each other, and everyone was grumpy. I've also found that, even without a bed-wetter in the crowd, there seems to be some reason that I need clean sheets at some point during a vacation--this is less true now that mine are getting older, but it seemed like I couldn't make it through the week without a special call to housekeeping or a run down to the hotel laundry.

Also, everyone got their own bed. It was great to put the little two down, and then have the older people stay up later.

We've done DVC, and I've heard great things about Bonnet Creek, but my gang just loves renting a house.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

I was also going to suggest Bonnet Creek. It is not on Disney property, so you don't get Disney perks. But it is directly adjacent to Disney property (right next to Caribbean Beach Resort). At the very least get a room with two queen beds and one day bed (YC, BC, Polynesian, Contemporary) vs. the Murphy bed. Those resorts will have slightly bigger rooms as well.

Or try the Fort Wilderness Cabins which actually sleep six. POR, though you are legal there, will be very tight.

And require the little guy to wear Pullups at night.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Honestly? I would look for more space. Either 2 value rooms or a family suite would be the cheaper options. In my opinion you don't have enough room for everyone to be comfortable, and for everyone to be able to relax and sleep when they need to.

I've done a legal 6 at POR, and it was very very very very tight. And that was without having anyone with special needs to consider. You couldn't get me to do it again. I was actually grateful that trip when we moved off-site and had more space.

If you want to stay on-site 2 value rooms should only be a few dollars more a night thatn 1 room at POR. Go that route and ask for connecting rooms. As you have many children and one that has special needs, you should have no problem getting connecting rooms. POR is a beautiful resort, but I don't think you have enough space for everyone to be comfortable and stay sane.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

I second the suggestion of melatonin for your child that has trouble sleeping. I use it for my 11yo and 8yo on school nights because they have trouble sleeping as well and within a half hour they are both asleep. I buy the liquid from Amazon and give them less than 1/2 tsp. mixed with a little apple juice (it tastes nasty).

As for the one who wets the bed still, definitely make him wear good-nights. Also when my ds had trouble with that I would always get him out of bed before I went to bed and make him go one more time just in case. That usually helped, but still not always.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
Ladcassidy
Mouseketeer

UnderJams are great. My nearly 5 year old wears them every night. Especially in a hotel room. Middle of the night sheet changes are no fun.
Ladcassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
set1208
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Hill

For the 9yo, I would get melotonin to help with the sleep.

4 kids in o
I agree. My 12 year old (not special needs) has a hard time sleeping and we just had her physical the other day and the doctor suggested it. We have yet to try it though.

I also have four kids and we are staying at POR too. My plan is to have my 2 and 12 year old girls in one bed and my 4 and 6 year old boys on the little Murphy sleeping end to end. They're little enough to share a small space and don't really wiggle too much at night.

We travel a lot as a family and when it's time to sleep, we all go to bed at the same time. It gets DH and I to go to sleep a lot earlier than we normally would which is nice when we are at Disney. If we try and watch tv at night, the kids just don't fall asleep. If the kids need a break during the day, we can head back and let the sleepy ones nap and take the others to the pool.

If you're like us, getting two rooms or a suite just doesn't fit into the budget. $3000 is a lot for a week with 6, not including travel costs!

My three littles all wet the bed (bad genes unfortunately!!!) so they all use pull ups at night. They make a medicine that the kids can take at night that will stop them from peeing. My DS6 just got a script from the doctor. It doesn't cure the bed wetting but it can be used for a few days in a row with no worries which may ease our mind sleeping in a hotel.

Good luck!
May 2010.....ASMu Mother/Daughter Trip for DD's 10th Birthday
February 2009.....CBR family trip
October 2004.....Pop Century, MNSSHP with me and DD
set1208 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: