Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
fernandesfam
Earning My Ears

Bay Lake Tower vs. Grand Floridian

Hello, we have booked a 1 br at Bay Lake Towers, cash. We usually go to GF, concierge level and want to find out if Bay Lake Towers is comparable. I don't want my children to be disappointed, but the extra room, washing machine and bathroom make it very desirable. We went to Yacht Club last year and were very disappointed. Thanks. YC charges for intertubes at pool and Hurricane Harbor bartender was not the nicest.

Last edited by fernandesfam; 11-15-2012 at 08:26 PM.
fernandesfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Pixie Dust Maven
Earning My Ears

We have stayed at both the GF CL standard room (RPC many times - SL 2 times) as well as a 1 bdrm villa LV at BLT cash reservation (2 times). We have also stayed at the YC CL standard room and Jr. Suite several times as well. Well, nothing compares to the room that you get at BLT with the 1 bdrm villa.

We decided to give it a try back in 2010 and once we did we were spoiled. For us having that much room makes it very difficult to go back to a regular room again.

The w/d is a dream. I thought I would never use it while on vacation but I used it every day. The kitchen is a must for us with 2 teenage boys and the extra bathroom is a big . The boys took turns using the sleeper chair and the sleeper sofa.

We are GF lovers to the end but we have to say that the space wins us over. BLT definitely doesn't have that GF feel and this took us a bit to get over, but it didn't take us long.

Last edited by Pixie Dust Maven; 11-15-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Pixie Dust Maven is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

This isn't really an easy thing to compare. At BLT you don't get the concierge lounge benefits. That may, or may not, be a big thing for you. You certainly do get the benefit of much more spacious accommodations at BLT. If the MK is the big draw for you, then the ability to walk there from BLT may give it the edge over the boat/monorail from the GF.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
baler31
DIS Veteran

We usually try to stay in the Deluxe Queen RPC rooms but sometimes if unavailable we do the standard RPC. The benefits of the lounge and other amenities are too important for us too switch to BLT. We use room service a lot, especially when returning from the parks at 2 or 3 am. We like valet parking and other services we receive from concierge.

Would not be worth it for us unless we were staying for 10 or more nights. Other factor: I do not want to see a kitchen while on vacation.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandesfam View Post
Hello, we have booked a 1 br at Bay Lake Towers, cash. We usually go to GF, concierge level and want to find out if Bay Lake Towers is comparable. I don't want my children to be disappointed, but the extra room, washing machine and bathroom make it very desirable. We went to Yacht Club last year and were very disappointed. Thanks.
This may be comparing apples to oranges. With BLT, you will be getting the benefit of space, washer/dryer and the extra bathroom, but you will be giving up all concierge amenities - lounge, planning services, etc. Decor is vastly different. Victorian vs. modern. It really depends on what you want for this particular trip. We go back and forth between villas and resorts - CL level all of the time. Again, it comes down to whether we want the lounge and food offerings of CL or if we want the space and washer/dryer.

If you could elaborate as to why you were disappointed in the Yacht Club, we may be able to help you determine if BLT is right for you.

If you want some extra space and still have CL amenities, you may want to consider a resort suite. You would not get the washer/dryer, however.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Pixie Dust Maven
Earning My Ears

Yes, I agree with OKW Lover. The walk to and from MK is a definite plus while staying at BLT. Also, I have to agree with baler31 that if CL is important to you BLT may not be the choice for you and your family.

I am sorry, I am no help at all.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
andersonfamily
Mouseketeer

We generally stay CL, but last year we stayed in a 2 BR at BLT. We were coming at the end of a cruise, so the washer/dryer were what hooked us. I was disappointed with the less than Disney feel. It wasn't bad, it just didn't feel special. I also found it so far from food options and the monorail that it wasn't very convenient to anything except MK.

Why didn't you like YC? We were thinking of booking for spring break there next year. We had an adults only trip there this year and loved it.
2014 Fantasy 7 Day Cruise 3/15/2014
DD9, DD7, DS5

andersonfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
fernandesfam
Earning My Ears

The only thing that's good for us about concierge are the drinks. With the Deluxe Dining plan we usually have a hard time using up all of the points.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
fernandesfam
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust Maven View Post
We have stayed at both the GF CL standard room (RPC many times - SL 2 times) as well as a 1 bdrm villa LV at BLT cash reservation (2 times). We have also stayed at the YC CL standard room and Jr. Suite several times as well. Well, nothing compares to the room that you get at BLT with the 1 bdrm villa.

We decided to give it a try back in 2010 and once we did we were spoiled. For us having that much room makes it very difficult to go back to a regular room again.

The w/d is a dream. I thought I would never use it while on vacation but I used it every day. The kitchen is a must for us with 2 teenage boys and the extra bathroom is a big . The boys took turns using the sleeper chair and the sleeper sofa.

We are GF lovers to the end but we have to say that the space wins us over. BLT definitely doesn't have that GF feel and this took us a bit to get over, but it didn't take us long.
Thank you so much Pixie Dust Maven. Great to know that you love it.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
fernandesfam
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by baler31 View Post
We usually try to stay in the Deluxe Queen RPC rooms but sometimes if unavailable we do the standard RPC. The benefits of the lounge and other amenities are too important for us too switch to BLT. We use room service a lot, especially when returning from the parks at 2 or 3 am. We like valet parking and other services we receive from concierge.

Would not be worth it for us unless we were staying for 10 or more nights. Other factor: I do not want to see a kitchen while on vacation.
What is RPC? Is that Polynesian? Thanks so much for the feedback. We usually have a hard time using all of the points w/ the deluxe dining plan that it's hard to munch at concierge level, but the drinks and cookies for the kids are nice before bedtime.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #11
fernandesfam
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthasor View Post
This may be comparing apples to oranges. With BLT, you will be getting the benefit of space, washer/dryer and the extra bathroom, but you will be giving up all concierge amenities - lounge, planning services, etc. Decor is vastly different. Victorian vs. modern. It really depends on what you want for this particular trip. We go back and forth between villas and resorts - CL level all of the time. Again, it comes down to whether we want the lounge and food offerings of CL or if we want the space and washer/dryer.

If you could elaborate as to why you were disappointed in the Yacht Club, we may be able to help you determine if BLT is right for you.

If you want some extra space and still have CL amenities, you may want to consider a resort suite. You would not get the washer/dryer, however.
Thanks for the feedback. We were so disappointed with Yacht Club. The concierge level was not the same calibur as GF. The maid service was awful, the whole floor smelled like old lady perfume. Also, at GF they bend over backwards to make it special for my kids; from chocolate mickeys and balloons, signed pictures and stuffed animals in the rooms for their birthdays. Not one thing from YC, not even a pin. Reservation desk was useless and lacking enthusiasm. Dull and drab and dirty and smelly are the words that I would use to describe YC. However, the location was great.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
fernandesfam
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonfamily View Post
We generally stay CL, but last year we stayed in a 2 BR at BLT. We were coming at the end of a cruise, so the washer/dryer were what hooked us. I was disappointed with the less than Disney feel. It wasn't bad, it just didn't feel special. I also found it so far from food options and the monorail that it wasn't very convenient to anything except MK.

Why didn't you like YC? We were thinking of booking for spring break there next year. We had an adults only trip there this year and loved it.
Thanks for the feedback. That is what I'm worried about, the less than special feeling. We were so disappointed in YC last year in May that we vowed to only go back to GF. However, after a Myrtle Beach vacay this summer with separate bedrooms, kitchen and washer/dryer and it being so homey and enjoyable we feel BLT might be just what we need. YC Concierge was not even a fraction as good as GF, maid service skipped two days and when they did come never even vacuumed and did a horrible job. No towel pets, nothing. The whole floor smelled like cheap perfume. The reservation desk was useless and they never even did something special for my kids like GF (happy birthday stuffed animals, chocolate mickeys, balloons, nothing) not even a pin. We are not complainers and not too hard to please, but this place was sub-standard with the exception of the location.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
baler31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What is RPC? Is that Polynesian? Thanks so much for the feedback. We usually have a hard time using all of the points w/ the deluxe dining plan that it's hard to munch at concierge level, but the drinks and cookies for the kids are nice before bedtime.
RPC is the CL in the main building at GF. They have two levels for club there; the outer Sugarloaf club level that is in an outer bulding and RPC that includes some standard, deluxe and suites in the main building.

We have not done Sugarloaf so I cannot comment on it but we love RPC. Atmosphere, castmembers and amenities are wonderful. We do not do dining plans and make liberal use of the club level amenities. We all dislike large meals so the food service is perfect for us. We also enjoy the wine,beer and late night drinks.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #14
fernandesfam
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by baler31 View Post
RPC is the CL in the main building at GF. They have two levels for club there; the outer Sugarloaf club level that is in an outer bulding and RPC that includes some standard, deluxe and suites in the main building.

We have not done Sugarloaf so I cannot comment on it but we love RPC. Atmosphere, castmembers and amenities are wonderful. We do not do dining plans and make liberal use of the club level amenities. We all dislike large meals so the food service is perfect for us. We also enjoy the wine,beer and late night drinks.
ok, we have always stayed in Sugar Loaf bc we like the water view. RPC seems nice too and I have heard good things about it. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #15
Pixie Dust Maven
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Thank you so much Pixie Dust Maven. Great to know that you love it.
My Pleasure. We have stayed Royal Palm Club (RPC) many times and have always had a theme park view (Castle/marina view) and it was amazing. We have also stayed in the SL as well with a pool view. Although the SL is nice it just wasn't the same for us as RPC. We would also do the DxDP along with CL and we found that it was definitely too much for us. So we switched to the regular DP instead while staying CL.

With that said. When we first ventured to BLT I cried as it wasn't my GF. It didn't have the same feel (of course), you had to walk to the CR to get our snacks and drinks and to even shop in the market place. Not that the walk was far but it wasn't really as convenient as staying RPC.

But after 4 days, I started to think, hey it wasn't that bad. The space for us was great. For the first time on vacation, me and my DH had our own bedroom and bathroom. That's when I started thinking, hey I am really liking this. The boys really loved that they had their own space as well apart from us at night and that they could have late night snacks if they wanted too.

The first time we stayed there we ordered from Garden Grocer and they delivered our groceries to CR bell services. They kept all the frozen and cold items in the fridge/freezer. Once we arrived, we had bell service deliver everything to our villa.

The second time we stayed there, we only purchased the items that we needed in the market place in the CR.

I never thought in a million years that I would love having a w/d as well as a kitchen while on vacation but I really do.

Since we have done TPV while at the GF we have only stayed in a LV at BLT. The boys are past the "oh we have to watch the fireworks from the room". They now prefer to watch them at the park.

So, depending on the ages of your children, maybe a 1 bdrm villa with TPV would be great for your children.

This is not an easy decision to make especially when it comes to making everyone happy while on vacation. Does BLT have that wonderful GF feeling, no way but sometimes children might surprise you. But then again you said that you didn't like the YC.

Once you have that special feeling for something such as the GF as we do, it's very hard to entertain the thought of going somewhere else. This is what was so difficult for me especially.

So at this point we have decided to go the GF every other year. This way everyone in our family is happy. The boys will be graduating HS next year so then me and my DH can stay at the GF all we want.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: