Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #16
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singinglizzie

POFQ seems to appeal to lots of folks, but for me seems too close together and not "resort-y" if that makes any sense. Good luck deciding!
Thanks Singinglizzie. This sentence does make sense to me and I think it may be why I eliminated POFQ. The exotic theme of CSR appeals to me, as does the rustic bush-clad theme of the alligator section of POR. POFQ on the other hand looks lovely, but nothing about it's theme particularly excites me. If I stayed there it would be because I'd read that the resort is small and easy to get around.
Of course, I'm making all these presumptions based on research, with no firsthand experience to back them up. People, please feel free to correct me if I'm misinformed or if you disagree.
WanderlustNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #17
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,583

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom

I think upgrading to a moderate is a great choice. Yes, cbr still has doubles so stay clear of that one (although I really love it there). Personally, we love CSR for some of the reasons you mentioned. The rooms are beautiful, the grounds are lush, tranquil, and so relaxing. I don't necessarily think the linens or the toiletries are any nicer but maybe I just didn't notice. What I did love is the food court. It does have some Spanish foods as well as other food court offerings it offers a buffet for breakfast and lunch which is very reasonably priced as well. I like that you eat the food first and then pay. I hate waiting in the long food court lines and then our food is cold.

POR is also a nice resort but we stay clear of POR and POFQ because we are from Louisiana and south Mississippi. Looks like home to us but we have stayed at POR and it is lovely. The pool area might be better for your son here. To me it is a better fit for the younger crowd than the pool at CSR but I guess this depends on your child.

I think either resort is great. Perhaps look on you tube at videos of the resorts and see which one offers a better fit for your family.
Thanks for your thoughts. Very helpful!
WanderlustNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #18
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,583

Quote:
Originally Posted by incredigirl
You can't go wrong with POR. It's absolutely gorgeous. The food is good (love the make your own pasta option). And, Piano Bob is soooo much fun.
Make your own pasta sounds great. We love pasta. :-)
WanderlustNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #19
sigepmike
Mouseketeer
 
sigepmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ

Thanks Singinglizzie. This sentence does make sense to me and I think it may be why I eliminated POFQ. The exotic theme of CSR appeals to me, as does the rustic bush-clad theme of the alligator section of POR. POFQ on the other hand looks lovely, but nothing about it's theme particularly excites me. If I stayed there it would be because I'd read that the resort is small and easy to get around.
Of course, I'm making all these presumptions based on research, with no firsthand experience to back them up. People, please feel free to correct me if I'm misinformed or if you disagree.
The wonderful thing about Disney is that there are so many choices for every taste! We like POFQ for a few reasons...

- We love the smaller size of the resort. It's so nice after a long day in the parks to just have one bus stop to deal with. We've stayed at POR before and having 5 (I think) bus stops is annoying to us.
- I kind of view POR and POFQ as one resort, so, to me, you get the "resort feel" because walking between the two is quite easy...and it's a nice stroll along Sascagoula River.
- I've always been happy with the food court at POFQ. I've never had a desire to go to Boatrights, so I don't feel like we've missed anything there.
- you get to skip a stop on the boat to DTD. This is not that big of a deal, but it saves a stop on the boat.

Whatever you do will be great!
sigepmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran
 
Dixiemom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 803

Have stayed at Pop and CSR. The beds at Pop were comfy but if you don't want doubles don't go. We were on a tighter budget in June so went with Pop and loved it. Stayed at CSR prior to that and loved it as well. We only used the bus once when at CSR and had no problem. Same with Pop, just once and since they don't share with any other value resort it was great. I have read numerous complaints about the POR buses but it wouldn't apply in my case since we drive to Orlando and drive to the parks with the exception of MK. That said, we are booked at POR for June 2013 just to try something different and grounds look lovely. Gonna miss CSR but hope to return one day. Loved the hammocks by the lake and thr Pepper Market, just everything. You'll have a glorious 11 nights at either moderate.
__________________


Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 10
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #21
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,395

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Hi everyone,

My family of three (2 adults, one 5 yr old) will be traveling to WDW for 11 nights next October.

I am stuck trying to decide between a Value Resort (probably Pop) or a Moderate resort (POR or CSR). Weighing everything up (even the prospect of free dining), the two deciding factors I keep getting stuck on are price vs. sleep quality.

My family and I have decided that we can live without fancy decor and fancy pools etc if it means more money in our pockets for experiences and souvenirs. However, one thing that we aren't prepared to sacrifice on is a good night's sleep. The last thing we want to do is feel grumpy all day because we haven't slept properly or have sore backs from sleeping funny.

My husband and I are taller and wider than average and are used to the space of a king bed. My son, moves a lot in his sleep, and has a tendency to kick any bed sharers in the ribs and back. If all resorts had queen beds we would pick POP. But given that it only has double beds, I'm worried that none of us will have a restful sleep.

Does anyone have an opinion either way of what I should do? Are the double beds as bad as I am imagining them to be? (My husband and I haven't shared a bed that small in years). Also, are the quality of the moderates mattresses any better. We hate really soft beds.

Lastly, if we decide to upgrade to moderate, the next decision will be between POR or CSR. If you don't have an opinion on bed sizes, but are keen to share your opinion of these two resorts, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks everyone
In you case, the only way I would sleep value is to bring an air mattress for your 5-year-old.
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #22
osu2k1
Disneyland Veteran | Disneyworld Newbie
 
osu2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 151

We chose POR with a royal guest room because of the queens. We are used to a king and with 2 boys along with us we NEEDED the biggest bed possible! Now the POR has all queens, so we didn't have to get the RGR. But I look forward to it. Plus the grounds look amazing.
__________________
Melissa, Disneyland veteran, Disney World rookie!
~Me 34 : ~DH 33 ~DS7 ~DS4



______________________________________

SURPRISE TRIP FOR THE BOYS Dec 8-15, '12: Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest room
PTR: Santa's coming early!
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #23
believinthemagic
Mouseketeer
 
believinthemagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 357

I'll throw in another vote for a moderate. It's been a few years since we've stayed in a value, but the beds were VERY firm IMO, and gave me a back ache. We are also used to a king size bed at home, so the queens in the moderates are fine, but wouldn't want any smaller.

We love both POFQ and the alligator bayou section of PORS. Have stayed at both & LOVE them .
__________________
Many trips as a kid- Ft. WildernessJan 2000- offsiteJan 2001- Treehouse VillasJanuary 2002- PolynesianJanuary 2003 All Star MoviesNovember 2003- Disney Cruise & All Star MoviesFebruary 2005 - Port Orleans FQFebruary 2006 - All Star MoviesJune 2007- All Star MoviesOctober 2008 - Port Orleans FQOctober 2009- Port Orleans FQNovember 2010 - Port Orleans RiversideJanuary 2012- Port Orleans FQJanuary 2013 Cruise on Disney Fantasy
believinthemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #24
cannmom
Mouseketeer
 
cannmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SW VA
Posts: 111

We have a king bed at home and I can't imagine trying to sleep in a double. I think queen beds is a big reason to choose a moderate over a value resort.

We have stayes at POFQ and Riverside. Loved both. FQ is smaller so it's good if you have smaller children. We have never stayed at CSR so I can't comment on it.
__________________
Always thinking about the next trip!!!

POFQ 9/2008, POFQ 12/2009, BC 11/2010, POR 1/2012
cannmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #25
DisneyDad1257
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 19

My DW and I travel a lot doing dog shows around the Midwest. We have a king bed At home and have stayed in a wide array of different hotel accommodations. If you have a king bed at home you are never going to like anything else. We have actually stayed in hotels In a double bed and it drives me crazy. In fact I am writing this reply right now from a hotel in Iowa in a double bed. IT IS TERRIBLE

On your other question we both liked CSR when we stayed there last November. The resort is very large but I found that I liked that a lot. We are not people who like to hang out at the main part of the hotel with all the gift shops and food so we found it very nice that we were on the other side of the resort with a bus stop 100 feet from out door. We have both said we would stay there again no problem
DisneyDad1257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:04 AM   #26
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,583

Wow, thanks for all your wonderful help. It seems like most of you agree that double beds will feel cramped and for that reason I'm feeling quite swayed towards a moderate. Now to decide which one...
WanderlustNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #27
lisam427
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Interesting you say this. I looked at the position of the preferred rooms and didn't think they looked that preferred either. There are other locations in that resort I would much rather stay.

The reason I thought CSR looked quite nice is due to the following
- the clean, modern decor of the rooms
- the fact that the food court seems to sell a range of spicy foods which we love
- it's location between the four main parks and near Blizzard Beach.
- the fact that the Spanish/Mexican theming is quite different to anything we'd find at home.
- and the fact that I read somewhere that the toiletries and linen are a bit nicer than other moderates due to the business crowd that the resort attracts. (Would love to know if this is true)

The reason I like the look of POR is the lush greenery of the grounds and the boat to DTD. The alligator rooms look great, but I don't like the look of the Princess rooms (I'd find the decor too busy and my husband and son would find it all to feminine).

For some reason I'd eliminated POFQ, but now that two people have mentioned it I'll have to go back and re-look.
the one positive about alligator bayou if you stayed at por is the trundle bed, you and your husband could each take a queen and your little one could take the trundle. i also love csr. both csr and por are my top two favorite mods, i think you would be happy at both,
__________________
2005 POR, 2008 POR, 2009 POR, 2010 CBR
2011 CORONADO SPRINGS, 2012 POR, 2013 POFQ,
NEXT TRIP SEPTEMBER 2014 CORONADO SPRINGS

lisam427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #28
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran
 
sunsetbeachgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 961

We stayed at CSR earlier this year and the beds were ultra comfy...big, nice mattresses and the bedding was great quality. A vote for CSR!!
__________________
From the Sunny North Carolina Coast

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #29
softballmom3
DIS Veteran
 
softballmom3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KY
Posts: 1,386

Hi! I have stayed at Pop and POR. We loved the theming of Pop but honestly the beds are very uncomfortable and super hard. POR we stayed in AB and loved the room. Queen beds were very nice and not too soft. They were more on the firm side but I thought pretty comfortable.

I believe sometimes its more difficult to get AB at times due to most rooms sleeping 5 so the families of that size are put there first. There is a great website run by a diser www.portorleans.org with awesome info on this resort. Check it out if you haven't done so . Btw. POR has a great counter service area!!!
__________________
Always planning another trip......

1977 Heck...I don't remember, I was 4 .
2002 Holiday Inn Family Suites (Nick hotel now)
2007 Pop Century
2010 Windsor Hills
2011 POR
2013 Wilderness Lodge/POR/CSR
2013 Pop Century
2014 POFQ x 2
2015 POFQ
softballmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #30
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,583

Thanks so much to all of you for the info on the mattresses. Comfortable, but on the firm side sounds perfect. We'd hate rock hard beds, but even worse would be ultra soft ones that sag in the middle.

We are definitely interested in the murphy bed rooms at POR for the reason that we could all have a bed each. However, it's interesting to hear that we might not be eligible because there's only 3 of us. I'm not as keen on the decor of the standard mansion rooms and the princess rooms are bit OTT for us - not to mention more expensive.

To be honest, I think the CSR resort is what appeals to us the most. The problem now, however, is that I have just checked the prices and it is also the most expensive. It seems that they have no standard rooms left during our stay and we will need to pay more for a water view. I really couldn't care less what view is out my window. I'd rather be close to a bus stop, even if it means staring out at parking lot.

CSR is coming out at $400 more than a standard room at POFQ and POR is priced somewhere in-between (although closer to CSR if we try for a murphy bed room). It seems I need to go back and do some more research into the FQ as that $400 could really be useful elsewhere in our trip.

A few more questions if you don't mind:

1. Do any of the Bayou rooms at POR not have the extra murphy bed?
2. If free dining is offered again this year (fingers crossed), are any moderates resorts more likely than others to be excluded from the deal? In the past when I've looked, I've noticed that POFQ is sometimes excluded from specials and was wondering if that might include the dining.
3. Lastly, if I book a room now as 'room only', how easy is it to change it later on to a package?

Thanks everyone! You help so far has been much appreciated.
WanderlustNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: