Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #61
LisaCat
Counting too many days till my next trip to Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Tressel View Post
I don't understand how you can run out of battery by lunch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall View Post
I don't either. I have an iphone 4 and the battery lasts a good while. I play a lot of games on it and even then it doesn't drain that quickly.
There are a couple of things that may be "on" that are HUGE battery drainers. One is GPS and the other is Wifi. Only turn them on in the parks when you need to use them. They are big power suckers. It's worth the time and effort to turn them back on and wait for them to connect when and if you need them. I can go almost all day at the park on a battery when I do this. When I forget to turn the GPS back off I usually don't make it past 3PM on my battery. Fortunately, I have an older phone with a removable battery, so I carry a charged spare!

LisaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #62
richard39
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytheblood
Just curious - and by no means is this a snarky comment about people and their phones - but how is it that people on vacation in WDW need their phones that badly that seeking a spot to charge is imperative for their trip?

Is it that your battery wears down real fast or do you take work with you on vacation?
Where's the like button....
richard39 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #63
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCat

There are a couple of things that may be "on" that are HUGE battery drainers. One is GPS and the other is Wifi. Only turn them on in the parks when you need to use them. They are big power suckers. It's worth the time and effort to turn them back on and wait for them to connect when and if you need them. I can go almost all day at the park on a battery when I do this. When I forget to turn the GPS back off I usually don't make it past 3PM on my battery. Fortunately, I have an older phone with a removable battery, so I carry a charged spare!
Location services is the GPS, turn it off for all apps, unless your using one to find out where you are, like maps, or disney mobile, geocaching etc. i turn it off all the time till i use those app too
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #64
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCat View Post
I have both of those on all the time and my phone still does well. I do understand the apps that won't close though, my old phone (LG Optimus V which was an awful phone) would have things open but I had a task killer which helped.

Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop,Dec. 2009 surprise for dad (aka worst trip ever) @ Pop, Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop, Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!
and many other trips throughout my childhood!

stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #65
AngieMouse86
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
A future Disney concession stand? Little individually lockable cages with power receptacles to recharge cell phones, etc. Rent one, take the key, then come back later for your phone. Or have a separate charger and spare battery to leave in the cage while you keep your phone. Maybe different sizes for laptop, iPad, cell phone, Game Boy, etc.
We have those at Disneyland, charging lockers! They're on Main Street in the locker section; Some have the cables for most phones inside, the others have an outlet for your own cord, for only $2/hour.

Maybe they'll come to MK?

Me - DBF -
AngieMouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #66
Burnedout
DIS Veteran

I drain my battery taking pictures. Whole I know the quality isn't like my canon, I actually look at and enjoy the photos on my phone. Per the question re why people need their phones so much.

Snobbery about the use or not of technology is pretty silly. If you like it, use it and enjoy the experience. If you don't...then don't.
Burnedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #67
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout
I drain my battery taking pictures. Whole I know the quality isn't like my canon, I actually look at and enjoy the photos on my phone. Per the question re why people need their phones so much.

Snobbery about the use or not of technology is pretty silly. If you like it, use it and enjoy the experience. If you don't...then don't.
It's not snobbery.

Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop,Dec. 2009 surprise for dad (aka worst trip ever) @ Pop, Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop, Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!
and many other trips throughout my childhood!

stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:21 AM   #68
Kaspar Houser
Mouseketeer

I found a very small solution.

It's a battery smaller than a pencil and I can load my phone three times with it.
It comes wit a cable and I just plug it is,put it in my bag and after a short time the phone is fully loaded.

Last edited by Kaspar Houser; 11-18-2012 at 02:28 AM.
Kaspar Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #69
Burnedout
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Houser
I found a very small solution.

It's a battery smaller than a pencil and I can load my phone three times with it.
It comes wit a cable and I just plug it is,put it in my bag and after a short time the phone is fully loaded.
What brand is it? Couldn't find it on amazon. Please.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #70
Kaspar Houser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout View Post
What brand is it? Couldn't find it on amazon. Please.
I am very sorry but I have no idea.
I bought it in a little Chinese shop.
It was a blister without explanation.The seller just showed me how to use it.
Kaspar Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #71
Burnedout
DIS Veteran

Thank you. ill keep hunting.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #72
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytheblood View Post
Just curious - and by no means is this a snarky comment about people and their phones - but how is it that people on vacation in WDW need their phones that badly that seeking a spot to charge is imperative for their trip?

Is it that your battery wears down real fast or do you take work with you on vacation?
I'm a social media junkie....so I drain my battery pretty fast at the parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
But that's just perpetuating the vicious circle. Using the phone as a phone, and closing applications not being used (park maps show restroom locations and can be entertaining; probably the Imagineers hoped guests would find the queues entertaining...) would reduce or eliminate the need to charge midday or multiple times during the day.
different strokes for different folks.....my family likes social media to enhance our vacations....it makes it more fun for us, but we don't care if other people don't like to do the same thing.

I have one of these battery packs (not the exact one, but same brand) and it is awesome!

http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-IMP1...+trent+charger
Old 11-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #73
Burnedout
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW

I'm a social media junkie....so I drain my battery pretty fast at the parks.

different strokes for different folks.....my family likes social media to enhance our vacations....it makes it more fun for us, but we don't care if other people don't like to do the same thing.

I have one of these battery packs (not the exact one, but same brand) and it is awesome!

http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-IMP1...+trent+charger
Thank you!

I post photos to my limited fb friends and family. They live across the country and love seeing he kids. They do the same an the distances don't feel quite so big.

Eta: and they go straight to my hp that I use as a digital frame.

Last edited by Burnedout; 11-18-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #74
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
That's a want, not a need. Waiting to post to any online forum until the phone owner is in a non-public location (home, hotel room, work if employer-permitted) and instead using the phone as simply a phone, eliminates or severely reduces the need to find a public outlet to recharge.

Haven't read the entire thread but why do you care? So what if someone wants to use there phone while at the parks.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #75
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
Haven't read the entire thread but why do you care? So what if someone wants to use there phone while at the parks.
Thank-you.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: