Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #16
codimouse
Over 45 Trips to Disney from San Antonio, Tx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall

Just FYI you can find mophie cases for $30-$40 on amazon and even cheaper on eBay. I saw one for $15!
I bought a Mophie off of both sites. Both were fakes and did not work. After my money was recovered I went straight to Mophie and purchased directly for $59.
Just beware. Sometimes cheap isn't best.

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
codimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #17
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by codimouse View Post
I bought a Mophie off of both sites. Both were fakes and did not work. After my money was recovered I went straight to Mophie and purchased directly for $59.
Just beware. Sometimes cheap isn't best.

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
The nice thing about both sites though is you're covered under their buyer protection so other than being frustrated about getting a bad product, you'll be fine. That's the chance you take when buying stuff online though. I will say that I've had REALLY bad luck buying things Amazon.com that were not from Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon.

Oh god there's the yeti! - The Trip Report!.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!- Aug. 2015 DL @ Stanford Inn & Suites -

stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
reiella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall View Post
Just FYI you can find mophie cases for $30-$40 on amazon and even cheaper on eBay. I saw one for $15!
I have a nice mophie dual charger that was about 70$ for my droid phone and tablet. Works nicely [and I guess, it would technically also charge my Vita should I be so inclined]. But it's not a case one, and it has a nice thick battery to it.
reiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:12 AM   #19
NYDisneyKid
Expedition Everest Record Holder

I'd be leary and carefull about charging your phones at Disney (or any park for that matter). Read the following:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...used-of-theft/
Old 11-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #20
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post
I need my phone to post to DIS
That's a want, not a need. Waiting to post to any online forum until the phone owner is in a non-public location (home, hotel room, work if employer-permitted) and instead using the phone as simply a phone, eliminates or severely reduces the need to find a public outlet to recharge.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #21
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

A future Disney concession stand? Little individually lockable cages with power receptacles to recharge cell phones, etc. Rent one, take the key, then come back later for your phone. Or have a separate charger and spare battery to leave in the cage while you keep your phone. Maybe different sizes for laptop, iPad, cell phone, Game Boy, etc.

Useful accessory: A 3 prong to 2 prong adapter. Use as a standoff or extension in case the receptacle is recessed in the wall or floor and your charger block (wall wart) won't fit.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #22
MomtoGKC
DIS Veteran

Sorry I never got to come back to the thread last night. I have different reasons for needing to charge my phone. When I am with my kids I use it as my camera. We usually don't stay at a park all day so I can make it without charging until we get back to the hotel, but there have been times that we've stayed longer and my battery got very low.

This trip was a little different. DH had a trade show in Orlando so I tagged along and went to the parks alone. I felt kind if funny being alone but did have fun texting pictures and videos to my mom, aunt & cousins in MA & CA who love Disney. We had a fun conversation back and forth which made the solo trip more fun for me because I don't see them much (I live in FL.) It was fun to give them a narrative of my day and show them videos of the new LM ride.

I got to MK about 9:30 and my phone was just about dead by 12! I can't remember if it was fully charged when I got there. Anyway, I needed the phone to keep in contact with DH because I didn't know what time he was going to leave the trade show and come pick me up to go home. We weren't going back to the hotel so we couldn't meet up there.

Anyway, it worked out well and I am not at all worried about being arrested for stealing electricity.

Oh, and the funny thing is that my husband's company makes a portable phone charger but I didn't have it with me!

Mom to DD 13 , DD 11 , DS 9

1975-present - Too many trips to remember - CR, Poly, GF, BWI, BCV, WL, AKL, ASMu, POR, CSR, Dolphin, Swan, Treehouses (old), cabins, tent camping, SOG when it was the golf resort

A few offsite - Hilton Bonnet Creek, Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Buena Vista Palace, Nick Hotel
MomtoGKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #23
candielips
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec
I need my phone to post to DIS
Definitely a need

Who cares what people use their phones for? My iPhone dies quickly. We use it as a camera, my kids use it entertain themselves in lines, but very rarely as a phone as we are from Canada and unless we get wifi, data is way too expensive.

Thank you to all the posters giving us the secret outlet spots.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #24
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcterry View Post
In my opinion, there should be more mobile charging stations throughout the 4 parks, like at a guest relations area or somewhere. I was out in the West Coast and they were built into public chairs, public areas, anywhere, anyone could recharge.
I carry a spare battery with me. If the phone runs low after a full day, I pop in a fresh battery. I only charge my phone/backup battery back at the resort overnight.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #25
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by candielips View Post
Definitely a need

Who cares what people use their phones for? My iPhone dies quickly. We use it as a camera, my kids use it entertain themselves in lines, but very rarely as a phone as we are from Canada and unless we get wifi, data is way too expensive.

Thank you to all the posters giving us the secret outlet spots.
It's presumptuous to use a business's own electric outlets, in place for its own use, to recharge phones the users choose to allow to run low; especially when foreknowledge (battery life plus non-telephone features) and planning (charging cases, extra batteries, etc.) so easily lets phone owners be in control.

It's not as if the outlets are there for guest usage. Even you refer to them as secret.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #26
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcterry View Post
In my opinion, there should be more mobile charging stations throughout the 4 parks, like at a guest relations area or somewhere. I was out in the West Coast and they were built into public chairs, public areas, anywhere, anyone could recharge.
I agree.

I was actually told by guest relations at MK and at DHS that they are no longer allowed to charge anything for people and that I should just find a spot to plug my camera battery charger into and I could charge it there. I don't know if that was really true bout Guest Relations no longer charging devices or I just caught Guest Relations at a bad time.

That would be fine except I was stopped and told I couldn't do that either by Cast Members.
Pretty annoying when I wanted to take more pictures but couldn't because both my spare batteries quit holding a charge and the one in the camera was low.

I would love it if they'd set up charging lockers at all 4 parks at the very least.
I would have happily paid the price to charge the camera battery and not have had to leave the park and go back to my resort to do so.

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips

Last edited by GaSleepingBeautyFan; 11-17-2012 at 11:46 AM.
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #27
NMDisneyFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr
It's presumptuous to use a business's own electric outlets, in place for its own use, to recharge phones the users choose to allow to run low; especially when foreknowledge (battery life plus non-telephone features) and planning (charging cases, extra batteries, etc.) so easily lets phone owners be in control.

It's not as if the outlets are there for guest usage. Even you refer to them as secret.
I'm pretty sure that Disney will not notice the 0.0004 cents it will take to charge an average phone for one hour. Let's say that 10,000 people charge their phones in the park on a typical day. That will add 40 cents to the electric bill.
NMDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #28
AlixaLock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytheblood View Post
Just curious - and by no means is this a snarky comment about people and their phones - but how is it that people on vacation in WDW need their phones that badly that seeking a spot to charge is imperative for their trip?

Is it that your battery wears down real fast or do you take work with you on vacation?
The best thing about vacation is doing whatever it is YOU like to do. Some people like the leave the world behind. I like text and Facebook with friends, I like to take pictures, I like to read a good book or browse the web... all things I do on my phone. Forget about the fact, that most of us have some degree of obligation at home that requires us to reasonably reachable.

I always have a charged phone with me, at home or on vacation. I, frankly, don't know anyone who doesn't prefer to have their phone with them and charged. Certainly, Disney is not obligated to provide charging stations, but it would be a cool perk...

Blowout Trip for Seven to the GF Villas! August, 2014! Surprise! You are going to the Denstist trip to the Beach Club, February, 2014! Halloween Birthday Party, 2013 at the Contemporary! January, 2013 our last off season getaway at the Grand Floridian! June 9-18, 2012 Summer at the Bay Lake Tower! October 5-11, 2011 Food and Wine/MNSSHP at The Grand Flo; Jan/Feb 2011 Polynesian Dream Trip; June 2010 Grand Californian Dreaming (DL); March 2009 Boardwalk with Baby; May 2008 Baby meets Mickey at the Grand Californian (DL); January 2007 Grand Floridian, Dec 2005 Christmas at the Beach Club; 2003 Caribbean Beach ... 1974-1995 ..... Disneyland, Disneyland, Disneyland ...
AlixaLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #29
AlixaLock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMDisneyFan View Post
I'm pretty sure that Disney will not notice the 0.0004 cents it will take to charge an average phone for one hour. Let's say that 10,000 people charge their phones in the park on a typical day. That will add 40 cents to the electric bill.
I totally agree, but I would also happily pay an appropriate nominal charge for a charging locker or charging station.

During the power outage following Sandy we in our community were out of power for 8-11 days. We were quite lucky to have a generator and became a charging station for many. There is a comfort and security in having your devices charged and I personally like feeling comfortable and secure on vacation.

Blowout Trip for Seven to the GF Villas! August, 2014! Surprise! You are going to the Denstist trip to the Beach Club, February, 2014! Halloween Birthday Party, 2013 at the Contemporary! January, 2013 our last off season getaway at the Grand Floridian! June 9-18, 2012 Summer at the Bay Lake Tower! October 5-11, 2011 Food and Wine/MNSSHP at The Grand Flo; Jan/Feb 2011 Polynesian Dream Trip; June 2010 Grand Californian Dreaming (DL); March 2009 Boardwalk with Baby; May 2008 Baby meets Mickey at the Grand Californian (DL); January 2007 Grand Floridian, Dec 2005 Christmas at the Beach Club; 2003 Caribbean Beach ... 1974-1995 ..... Disneyland, Disneyland, Disneyland ...
AlixaLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #30
labattblue
DIS Veteran

Once again the high and mighty have entered a dis thread. It is no one's business why me or anyone else chooses to use their phone frequently(to the point where some are sharing some potential spots to charge them) while on vacation.

I thank the OP for pointing out a potential charging spot, and no I will not disclose what I use my phone for in the parks or anywhere else on vacation.

labattblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: