Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #136
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
I've just read the entire thread and I'm surprised that one point hasn't been raised at all (unless I missed it). Within the past few months, Disney has installed free Wi-Fi throughout the parks. Disney not only knows guests are using their smartphones and iPads in the park but they are adapting and providing free Internet access as a result. It only stands to reason that if thousands of guests are taking advantage of this new service, there is going to be a need for people to charge their electronic devices

I also believe the WiFi is going to play into the new Fastpass system somehow. So for the person who wonders why anyone needs their phone in the parks, Disney is actually driving that need themselves.

What I don't really understand, actually, is why we need a thread mentioning where to find an electric outlet. Building codes require there to be an outlet every certain number of feet apart, so every restaurant in Disney, every gift shop in Disney, every restroom in Disney, has numerous outlets accessible for guest use. They are located both indoors and outdoors in fact. So if your battery is running low, take a break, have a seat, plug in and charge.
Just because WDW has an outlet every certain amount of feet because of a building code does not mean that they were put there for guest use. That would be quite an assumption, actually. The outlets in the queues, for example - think that they are there for guest use?
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #137
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
Just because WDW has an outlet every certain amount of feet because of a building code does not mean that they were put there for guest use.
I wasn't suggesting that they were specifically put there for guest use. Obviously they weren't. I was just saying that since they are there, guests can and do use them.

Here's a question. Does anyone see a difference between me charging my phone in my hotel room vs. charging it at the hotel food court while I'm having breakfast?

I think that ultimately, we are going to see charging stations come to the parks. Maybe they'll be free. Maybe not. Time will tell, but I think it is only a matter of time until charging stations come to be. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Disney is already working on how and where to put them.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Me, DW, DD and MIL with cast of Festival of the Lion King, 11/10/06
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #138
Rememberingthe70s
Old School

I don't see much difference in the hotel room or the hotel food court, maybe other that I don't think it's ideal to have phones and cords laying around in public areas. I charge mine in the hotel, mostly because ...

1. My room is "my" space
2. I don't want a charger in my pocket all day
3. No one invited me to use the park plugs
4. I don't want to be seen as impolite
5. I don't want to have to set my expensive phone down potentially outside my reach

On the flip side, I don't give it a thought if I see a phone plugged into a stray outlet. (Except for maybe the safety of their phone.) None of my business. I love my park apps and all, but it's no big deal to me if the phone dies because I forgot to charge it. The world is certainly beginning to accommodate this all though. Airports certainly do, in a huge way. I believe someone above mentioned that DL already has paid charging. I probably wouldn't use charging stations even if they had them.
WDW Commando Club Member #119
36 Years of Vacationing at WDW
Rememberingthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #139
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememberingthe70s View Post
I believe someone above mentioned that DL already has paid charging. I probably wouldn't use charging stations even if they had them.
I'm curious about this. At DL, if they have paid charging stations, do they restrict people from just plugging in at open outlets, like in a restaurant?

Old 11-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #140
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Wow...so much angst about charging your phone. Is it still bad for phones to be recharged when they aren't fully depleted?? That used to be the case, but since I am not technologically knowledgeable, I just don't know for sure.
I can't imagine sitting around, plugged into a wall at a WDW restaurant, killing time, waiting for my phone to charge.
But, unless someone says something to you about it not being allowed, then go for it.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #141
msteddom
We always wait in line in California, just like we sit in traffic

Quote:
I'm curious about this. At DL, if they have paid charging stations, do they restrict people from just plugging in at open outlets, like in a restaurant?
Not to my knowledge.

Melissa
Aug. 1986- Off Site, Feb. 1992- Off Site, Nov. 2000- Off Site, Aug. 2003 POR, April 2004- POFQ, Aug. 2004- YC, Feb. 2005- POFQ, Aug. 2005- BWV,Jan. 2006 BCV,Aug. 2006 POP, Dec. 2006 POR, Aug 2007-YC, Dec. 2007- BWV, Aug. 2008 4 night Wonder Double Dip, Jan. 2009- BWV, Aug. 2009 BWV/Dolphin, Jan. 2010 BLT/BWV, Aug. 2010 WL/BWV, Aug. 2011 5 night Dream/ WLV, Jul. 2012 POR/BVV, June 2013 BWV/Fantasy Eastern/YC
msteddom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #142
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I can't imagine sitting around, plugged into a wall at a WDW restaurant, killing time, waiting for my phone to charge.
You wouldn't be sitting around killing time. You'd be eating lunch or dinner at the same time, or maybe just taking a little break, getting out of the sun, having a snack, getting your baby to nap, whatever.

My wife and I went out to dinner just last week here at home and she plugged in her phone to charge as there happened to be an outlet on the wall right by our table. Nobody from the restaurant said a word.

Pretty regularly, I walk into an exam room to see a patient and find them charging their phone. I'm certainly not going to ask them not to. I'm happy to provide the service. It can't cost us more than pennies per month.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #143
AngieMouse86
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve

Not that I know of. I've charged numerous times at the Golden Horseshoe (a CS restaurant) and never had an issue, and a couple CMs usually see me. Haven't charged elsewhere, but I have seen many others doing so around the park.

Me - DBF -
AngieMouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #144
markay714
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytheblood View Post
Just curious - and by no means is this a snarky comment about people and their phones - but how is it that people on vacation in WDW need their phones that badly that seeking a spot to charge is imperative for their trip?

Is it that your battery wears down real fast or do you take work with you on vacation?
I only take pictures with my phone...wouldn't dream of bringing work with me!
markay714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #145
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

I cannot believe this is still being argued., oh i mean discussed

;p
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #146
jodeeb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytheblood View Post
Just curious - and by no means is this a snarky comment about people and their phones - but how is it that people on vacation in WDW need their phones that badly that seeking a spot to charge is imperative for their trip?

Is it that your battery wears down real fast or do you take work with you on vacation?
Some jobs are not that easy to just leave behind.

First of all we would all like to leave all our problems behind, but sometimes we do need to stay in touch with our real lives. Luckily our trip this past week both DH and I were able to not be in touch with work. Sometimes it is not possible. Our last trip in 2009, DH was in the middle of a long project and needed to be available to answer questions and make a few dicissions. If it werent for the Cell, we probably would not have been able to have a vacation that year. He probably only spent a total of 20 min on the phone, but we had a wonderful 10 days. Responsibility to work is just a reality for many professionals. Not a big deal. We just got back from a 5 day trip. This time we did not have to worry about work, but still were connected. I used my phone for "My Disney Experience" and found it quite useful. DD and DH were using their's for pictures and keeping in touch with people from home. Also, we split up a couple of times because we had different things we wanted to ride/see and it was great to let each other know where we were.

I dont see any problem in charging a phone in a place of business. We ate at the LTT. There was an outlet by our table so DH plugged his phone in while we ate. We had just gotten there after flying from CA and all our phones were low. He also found a spot to the left of the shooting range in Frontier Land.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #147
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by markay714 View Post
I only take pictures with my phone
This is extremely common today. I'd venture to guess that more people use their phones as their cameras than have actual cameras at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodeeb View Post
Some jobs are not that easy to just leave behind.
True, and it isn't just job issues. Some have elderly parents who they need to be in touch with as another example. Personally, I'm the president of our synagogue, a congregation of over 1,000 people. During our last trip in August, I still had to prepare everything for the Board meeting that would be held in my absence. I was sending and receiving e-mails and documents as well as texting the administrator and VP who was running things for me. At night, back in our rental home, I was on the laptop as well, but still needed to handle stuff during the day from my phone while we were out and about.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #148
candielips
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec
I cannot believe this is still being argued., oh i mean discussed

;p
I know. I thought we were finally getting somewhere and then it begins again.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #149
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
You wouldn't be sitting around killing time. You'd be eating lunch or dinner at the same time, or maybe just taking a little break, getting out of the sun, having a snack, getting your baby to nap, whatever.

My wife and I went out to dinner just last week here at home and she plugged in her phone to charge as there happened to be an outlet on the wall right by our table. Nobody from the restaurant said a word.

Pretty regularly, I walk into an exam room to see a patient and find them charging their phone. I'm certainly not going to ask them not to. I'm happy to provide the service. It can't cost us more than pennies per month.
Sure, but I'm not going to walk around, looking for a specific table that is near an outlet. And then, unless it's a table service restaurant, I'm not spending more than 20 or so mins at that table.
I'm not saying I have an issue with charging at a restaurant. It's good use of time....if an outlet is nearby and you don't need a full charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markay714 View Post
I only take pictures with my phone...wouldn't dream of bringing work with me!
Wellllll, I'm using my phone to monitor my particular board, here on the DIS. Seems that some posters feel that 'while the cats away, the mice can play'...so, I'm watching them, always watching....

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #150
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Goodness, can not believe this is still going on. If only one thing, sure does reinforce my choice of phones with user swappable/replaceable batteries. I can't imagine all the gyrations needed in trying to charge a battery while out and about.

Hope to see you while there, Diane.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: