Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Bleu Zoo
Earning My Ears

Digital TV only as of today at the Fort

The Fort switched over to Direct TV a couple of months ago. Today Direct TV decided to switch to a Digital only feed. If you have analog TV sets you will need a converter. The one that converts Digital air waves to analog will not work. They have converters at the front desk ( One per site ) on a first come first serve basis. Disney puts the blame on Direct TV for the switch. Wanted to give everyone a heads up that has older TV's to get your converter before you arrive if you want cable TV. Still Love this place
Old 11-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Bleu Zoo,

Thanks for the update. Technology marches on.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
kltigger
Mouseketeer

Sorry for this question, but DH is asleep for me to ask.

How does this work if we have DirectTV in our MH already?

We normally would use cable at the fort since we cannot pick up satellite because of the trees.

kltigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Bleu Zoo
Earning My Ears

Depending on the age of your TVs.. If you already have new digital ( Flat screen ) TVs you are good to go. (Note some old flat screens are analog ) ..To use your sat TV request a site with less trees. Low numbered 600 loop and high number 900 loop are good bets.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
kltigger
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu Zoo View Post
Depending on the age of your TVs.. If you already have new digital ( Flat screen ) TVs you are good to go. (Note some old flat screens are analog ) ..To use your sat TV request a site with less trees. Low numbered 600 loop and high number 900 loop are good bets.
Thank you.

kltigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
retired and happy
Auburn-him/Alabama-her

Exactly what is being converted using the "Disney" converter? If I have an analog TV, don't I need a converter that converts the supplied digital signal to analog? Isn't that what I bought a couple years ago? Virtually all over-the-air signals are digital, and I use a converter to receive that signal on my analog set. Does Direct TV provide any direct signal other than satellite signal? Either some detail has been left out or this is a bogus report. Any expert out there?
retired and happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
Bleu Zoo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired and happy View Post
Exactly what is being converted using the "Disney" converter? If I have an analog TV, don't I need a converter that converts the supplied digital signal to analog? Isn't that what I bought a couple years ago? Virtually all over-the-air signals are digital, and I use a converter to receive that signal on my analog set. Does Direct TV provide any direct signal other than satellite signal? Either some detail has been left out or this is a bogus report. Any expert out there?
Dear Retired and Happy,
I am sitting on site 312 typing this report. Your current digital converter that converts digital air wave ( antenna) to analog will not work. Direct TV is NOW the provider for Disney Worlds TV connections. Call 407-824-2727 ex. #2 and ask for your self.. Don't worry be happy and be prepared.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
Bleu Zoo
Earning My Ears

Forgot to add that my wife did not feel well today so we stuck around the coach..and the site next door had a howling dog all day..We didn't complain he had a nice tone ..Wrong thread but didn't want to keep that one going.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
stpetedisneydad
Mouseketeer

Not knowing a whole lot about this subject but I would assume DirectTV has scrambled their signal so not just anyone can pick it up since they are a pay subscriber which is why just any ol' converter won't work.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu Zoo
Forgot to add that my wife did not feel well today so we stuck around the coach..and the site next door had a howling dog all day..We didn't complain he had a nice tone ..Wrong thread but didn't want to keep that one going.
Did you ask the dog for your $100 gift card?!? LOL!

Hope your wife feels better!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu Zoo View Post
Tell DW we hope she feels better "real soon".

And good call on the "other" thread.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
Bleu Zoo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpetedisneydad View Post
Not knowing a whole lot about this subject but I would assume DirectTV has scrambled their signal so not just anyone can pick it up since they are a pay subscriber which is why just any ol' converter won't work.
You still have to attach your coax cable to their output connection. I works just like any park cable. However it is an digital only signal. The converter they let us use was simple to connect however if you want to keep it it will cost you 125 dollars I'm sure camping world and Radio shack will have converters at a much more reasonable price. Thanks everyone for my Wife"s well wishes she feels like new money so off to the parks we go to spend some of it.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
wdwrroad
Earning My Ears

I think what you would need is a QAM tuner. A google search shows them to be about $100.
wdwrroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
happycamper47
Earning My Ears

The new Direct TV line-up was both analog and digital ( most stations were duplicated) in Oct so all they did was drop the analog. Also DISNEY controls the frequency type being rebroadcast not DIRECT TV (talked to a CM (TV/phone/internet) tech while we were there.
happycamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #15
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

I just hope all the channels finally come in clear.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: