Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace

Things to amuse a dog

I have a two year old corgi. He is kept active, gets lots of attention and walks. DH plays a kind of rough play every night for a half hour. But it's winter and we don't go to the beach to play with other dogs now. He is bored and makes us a bit crazy. I have a treat ball but it seems like he gets the treats out too fast, wants more (he's on a diet so not too many) and starts bringing it to us over and over. What are some things I can give him to amuse himself for a bit?

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Tiggeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggeroo View Post
I have a two year old corgi. He is kept active, gets lots of attention and walks. DH plays a kind of rough play every night for a half hour. But it's winter and we don't go to the beach to play with other dogs now. He is bored and makes us a bit crazy. I have a treat ball but it seems like he gets the treats out too fast, wants more (he's on a diet so not too many) and starts bringing it to us over and over. What are some things I can give him to amuse himself for a bit?
Our Shiba will chase a laser/flashlight red dot all over the place. You don't actually have to move off the couch to play.

He also really like this toy called a Fling 'n Floss.

From that same company, we get a tug toy made from fire hose material, that our Ori-Pei really like. He's super rough on his toys and this stands up to his rough play. They have 2 different kinds, one with a handle and one without.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

My dog loves to play fetch with her tennis balls, she could do it for an hour without wanting to stop. I saw a kind of treat puzzle thing at the pet store I was thinking of getting for her.
She also has this fascination with reflected light, so anytime something reflects from the sun onto the wall or floor she goes crazy trying to get it. (Yeah, she's a little dim ). When my dd was little she had this solar powered crystal spinner in her window that would shine little reflections all over her room. I'm thinking of getting one for my livingroom window and let the dog chase the light all afternoon.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace

my dog does not like a laser light. He has toys and plays with them, with us. He is very hard on toys and isn't happy until he rips the squeaker out and then doesn't like them any more. But sometimes I want him to amuse himself. I want to be able to use the computer for awhile without him bringing me toys and bumping me with his nose to play. I would like to find something that he likes to do by himself for a little while.

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Tiggeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Tarheel Tink
Cosmos mariner-destination unknown
I've shown in obedience and know the thrill you must feel
Using "robots" means I can DIS

Location: North Carolina Coast (California, Oahu, New York,Washington D.C., etc. as a military brat)

We make "pacifier bones" for our dogs. We purchase sterilized beef bones at a pet supply store and stuff them with cheese sticks or peanut butter. Our dogs will shove us aside for one of these. Sometimes we prepare several and store them in a bag in the freezer.

Tarheel Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

Can you make a little indoor agility course for him? Get one of those pop up tubes, make a slant board and/or a "teeter totter," put some cones down to have him weave through, some tiny little hoops to jump through or over, etc.

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

I don't have any advice, but I love Corgi's. PICTURE PLEASE
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Antlers Chews and Bully Sticks. They both keep my dogs happily busy for quite a while. Nothing else lasts long enough.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
asktriplets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggeroo View Post
my dog does not like a laser light. He has toys and plays with them, with us. He is very hard on toys and isn't happy until he rips the squeaker out and then doesn't like them any more. But sometimes I want him to amuse himself. I want to be able to use the computer for awhile without him bringing me toys and bumping me with his nose to play. I would like to find something that he likes to do by himself for a little while.
My dog rips the squeaker out, too. Try a skein of yarn...we start off by playing catch with it and as soon as it starts to unravel, he'll just keep pulling at the yarn. He'll do this for 10-15minutes at a time, easily. He the big wadded up ball of yarn that it becomes stays a good toy for quite a while, but eventually it is just too nasty and stinky.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
meliss8599
DIS Veteran

Freeze water layer by layer in a large plastic tub (like a gallon ice cream container). In the actual water and/or between the layers, put various treats/bones/toys.

Once it's all frozen, dunk the container in hot water to loosen the ice from the edges and, voila, you have a "toy" that should keep him entertained for AT LEAST an hour. It slides around so it involves movement and exercise, and they're chewing (which tires them out) is rewarded with treats and/or new toys.

We let our dogs have at it outside.

I know you said you have a treat ball, but Kong makes a Wobbler which is better at gradually dispensing the treat. If you're worried about weight gain, put the dog's actual food (small kibble) and use it as a feeder.
meliss8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
Minerva Mouse

I'm still waiting
Old 11-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #12
Mickeyrella
Mouseketeer

Bully sticks, tracheas, kongs filled with delicious treats, puzzle toys, elk antlers, hooves... bestbullysticks.com is a good place where you can buy these kind of stuff for a cheap price, I always buy my dogs treats from that website and the best thing is that everything is made in the USA
Mickeyrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
Minerva Mouse

I'm tired of waiting, so I'll post a random one off the internet, just to get my fix.

Did you have him/her as a puppy, I can't even imagine having one as a puppy, I wouldn't go to work, or leave the house. I wouldn't want to miss a second of that cuteness.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #14
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Get a cat.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:30 AM   #15
Minerva Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78 View Post
Get a cat.
so wrong,

OR some sheep so the little guy can herd them

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: