Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #16
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

This is why we dine at Victoria & Alberts and other restaurants not on the dining plan when we want adult dining. When we dine at a Disney signature, we now expect a family dining environment even at the later times (we are west coasters).

I don't know that it really bothers me. If I want adult dining, I go to San Francisco or Las Vegas. My expectations at WDW are quite different.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
freshmanjs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herfnerd View Post
Did I specifically point you out? I am talking about those that allow kids to have total meltdowns, allow them to throw crayons at other patrons and the like.
ok but i don't see why all kids should be banned because some kids (or parents) are rude. if we apply that kind of logic, everyone will be banned.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
KimBeano
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherandnick
I'm sure this will be a very unpopular post with many, but I sort of wanted to see if others agree with me at all or if I am completely out of line here...

After a fantastic DxDP trip last week, DH and I made an observation about many of the signature dining establishments where we dined. Quite a few of our dinner ADRs were after 7:30 or 8pm. After a couple meals where children were either sleeping on the booth attached to ours, having major meltdowns, or watching loud videos on Dad's iphone while the parents tried to enjoy a bottle of wine, I started thinking.... (here is where the flame suit will be necessary)...

Wouldn't it be a great idea if signature (and only signature) restaurants allowed no children under 10 years old at any ADRs past 7pm?

To those of you with children, this might seem ridiculous and even insulting, but hear me out. I LOVE kids. But I also love some adult time past a certain time of the evening. I do not think children should be sleeping at signature dining tables at 9:30 at night. They should be in bed. I know it is a vacation that you all paid a lot of money for and you want to get the most bang for your buck, but really?!? I think it's ludicrous. If you want to enjoy a late adults-only dinner, then book a sitter. It takes something away from those around you when they are being kicked by your sleeping kiddos or enduring a temper tantrum from someone who is too exhausted to stand.

Sorry to anyone if I offended you. I'm sure some kids can handle later dinners, but, believe me, many can't. I paid a lot for my vacation, too.
Lower it to 8 years old and up it to 8pm and this parent is in!!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #19
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

I agree that kid meltdowns can be an issue, and while an 8 p.m. "curfew" (7 p.m. is too early) sounds great on some levels, it's simply an idea that will never fly and does punish those parents whose children do well in such settings. Besides, say a reservation is made for 6:45, and the meal takes two hours (not unusual in a signature eatery), then that wouldn't help those who tried to avoid the possible issue and were seated at, say, 7:30 or 8:00. Instead, while we're wishing, how about a lovely new restaurant in one of the resorts (perhaps GF since it is expanding with DVC) that is adults only, a la Remy or Palo on DCL? Now, that is an idea I can get behind.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #20
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

My 2 cents:

Keep in mind the MANY families that are from other time zones. So 7:00pm or even 9:00pm EST might be WAY EARLIER to the body clocks of many families. Similarly, a family from the West Coast might have a child ready to pass out at 6:00pm.

I would like the separate section idea.

Honestly I think they should just add a couple other adult only restaurants. Even tho I have a 9 and 10 year old that I am very comfortable bringing to nice restaurant (without loud videos) - i can totally understand the ambiance is much different with adults only. And I totally get that adults prefer that sometimes.

And honestly I would often PREFER that they allow 7 - 10 year olds in rather than 13 - 16 year olds.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #21
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

I'm not in favor of the rule OP proposes. We are repeat AP holders, visit several times per year, and book multiple signatures per trip. We've seen many children in signatures, and haven't had a negative experience yet. We've seen kids with electronics (which we don't permit at the table and our boys don't request) but that's about it. Perhaps we've just been really fortunate.

Our boys are ages 13, 12 and 5, and at home, we eat between 7pm and 7:30pm. Between homework and activities, we have the choice of eating early separately or eating late together, and we choose to eat late together. At Disney, our reservations are usually at 7pm or 7:30pm - our typical dinnertime.

While the kids and I love Disney, and my husband is wonderful to accomodate us, I think it would be difficult for him to stay with the program if Disney restricted our signature dining opportunities. (I entirely get V&A - nice to have that option available - just wouldn't want to extend it.) One of our favorite things about Disney is the variety of restaurants with interesting menus and a nice selection of wine and the ability to enjoy that with our kids.

Yes, our 5-year-old might fall asleep on my lap while my husband, older boys and I finish our dinner and enjoy talking, but I'm not sure why that would bother others. He's certainly never kicked anyone while sleeping, and a few times when we got up to leave, other diners are surprised to see that there was a 5th person in our party. If he raised his voice above appropriate levels or did anything that could possibly interfere with others' enjoyment of their meal, one of us would take a walk outside with him right away.

At the end of family vacations, whether it's WDW, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, LA, Seattle, etc., we've all agreed that some of our most memorable times are meals together. All of our boys LOVE dinners at WDW, including signature restaurants. So I'm glad that we can continue to enjoy that experience with them at our typical dinner hour, and I'm really glad that Disney doesn't restrict those opportunities.
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #22
Peaseblossom
Mouseketeer

Nope...not the right tone at Disney, in my opinion. If I want adults-only, I'll go to a Sandals resort or Las Vegas or a Shades of Gray book club, etc. If I want time with the kids, I'll go to Disney.

We eat at signature restaurants once or twice every trip, and rarely before 7 or 8. We're not farmers! [That may a regional joke.] I've taught my son how to behave in nice restaurants by taking him to nice restaurants, and he's figured it out.

The family you don't want to sit next to in Narcoossee's? Well, you wouldn't want to be beside them in line for a ride or on the bus home, but what are you going to do, ban them from WDW entirely?

PS - 'Breeders', come on folks, can't we get along!? Where do you think all these kids came from, anyway - ROMANTIC DINNERS, that's where...
Old 11-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #23
Bertnie20
Mouseketeer

What I think would be cool is if they had kid clubs at the resturant. Like on the cruise ships. They feed the kids let them play or rest and then when mom and dad are done they go back
Old 11-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #24
freshmanjs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertnie20 View Post
What I think would be cool is if they had kid clubs at the resturant. Like on the cruise ships. They feed the kids let them play or rest and then when mom and dad are done they go back
they do have them. not in the restaurants per se but very close by.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #25
Bertnie20
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanjs

they do have them. not in the restaurants per se but very close by.
I meant in the restaurant. That way the parents have the choice if they need to send or stay because like others said some kids need it some don't.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #26
freshmanjs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertnie20 View Post
I meant in the restaurant. That way the parents have the choice if they need to send or stay because like others said some kids need it some don't.
but why does it matter if it's literally in the restaurant vs just nearby?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #27
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for all your great feedback, responses, and opinions. I must say, it has been interesting.

I did not think of the time zones. That is a very good point.

Additionally, I was not talking about infants in car seats, although I know they are still children under the original age requirement I had posted. However, I have sat through many dinners with infants screaming their heads off while the parents try to quiet them instead of immediately walking out of the restaurant. That's a whole other thread. Lol

I LOVE the idea of an adults-only section of signature restaurants. IMO, that seems to be a great option to not "punish" everyone with kids. Also, I totally agree with the idea of lowering the age to 8 and upping the time to 8pm. I agree that 7pm was probably unrealistic of me.

Please, let's keep all the posts friendly so this doesn't get shut down. My point of this was to see if others agree with me, and I can tell that the consensus is pretty much in favor of some adults-only dining. Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #28
meredith1
DIS Veteran

I was 36 before I had kids so, I get where you're coming from. You do have to remember that some people are not in Florida's time zone so, they naturally eat later.

It would bother me if a child was having a temper tantrum and bothering others at a nice meal however, it wouldn't bother me a bit if a preschooler or older child was watching an Ipad turned down low.

As a parent I know what my kids can comfortably handle and what they cannot. I don't push those boundaries and I certainly do not let them bothers other either at the grocery or at a fine dining establishment-ever.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
Old 11-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #29
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

It's not feasible. I would LOVE to see an adults only restaurant that wasn't as $$$$$ as V&A's. Or a restaurant with an adults only section. If the cruise line can have adult only areas of the ship, then the resort can make it work too.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #30
Lucille1963
DIS Veteran

It has been years since we dined there (ds is 5), but The Brown Derby used to have that small dining room (The Bamboo Room?) off to the side that we were told families weren't sat in.

I don't think it would be terrible if other restaurants had similar areas.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: