DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
TheDalys
Mouseketeer

Just wondering, say we cannot use all of our points one year and we decide to rent out the remainder. Does the other party have to be Dvc members? Is there any sepecific forms to fill out.?

I know the points are usless to non dvc members but, what i mean inthat question is to make the reservationsfor them and they pay
TheDalys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

the other party does not have to be a DVC member.

We rented points several times on the DIS before we decided to buy. You can require your renter to sign a contract if you want. I don't think we ever signed a contract, just had a "gentleman's agreement."

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
TheDalys
Mouseketeer

How did it work,, you booked everthing for them?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDalys View Post
How did it work,, you booked everthing for them?
You have to book the room. If they want a dining plan, you have to add that and it requires payment when added. If they want to use Disney's Magical Express, you would need to give DVC their flight information.

They can make their own dining reservations by calling the main dining line (407-WDW-DINE) or at disneyworld.com/dining.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
TheDalys
Mouseketeer

Ok cool, thanks
Old 11-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

"Renting points" is kind of a misnomer. What actually happens is that the owner makes a reservation for the renter, with the renter paying the owner for the number of points used.

As an owner, it's fine for you to make reservations for others; many of us have treated family members to stays on our points, or booked additional rooms for friends vacationing with us, or rented to strangers when we can't use our points. If you're making a reservation for a stranger, you'll want to have a contract. Not so much because it's legally enforceable, but it's important to spell out the details of the transaction. When payment will be made, what happens if the renter wishes to cancel, who's responsible for doing what.

Member services will not speak to anyone who is not a member, so you will need to make the reservation, add any requests that the renter wants, and add the dining plan if your renter wants it.
Lynne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Also per DVC guidelines if you are renting, you need a contract between you and the renter and also when you call to book the reservation you need to let Member Services know this is a rental.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
Figment2
DIS Veteran

I would highly recommend David's Rentals. I used them recently when I had a bit of a "siutation." They find the renter for you but you need to make the reservations for the room, magical express (if needed), etc.

I would use them again in a heartbeat.

Cyn
Old 11-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Also per DVC guidelines if you are renting, you need a contract between you and the renter and also when you call to book the reservation you need to let Member Services know this is a rental.
However, if you let MS know its a renter, don't be surprised when the MS rep tells you you can't rent. You can, but it isn't uncommon for MS to say you can't. Most people don't seem to bother to mention it, although it is in the contract to do so.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Since the OP ask about Rules on renting points, I felt it should be shared that per DVC it is required to have a contract and know they are required to let MS know it is rental.

As to whether others do what is right that is their concern just like occupancy levels etc.

I personally would never rent without notifying Member Services.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
TheDalys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie
Since the OP ask about Rules on renting points, I felt it should be shared that per DVC it is required to have a contract and know they are required to let MS know it is rental.

As to whether others do what is right that is their concern just like occupancy levels etc.

I personally would never rent without notifying Member Services.
Thanks Sammie
Old 11-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDalys View Post
Just wondering, say we cannot use all of our points one year and we decide to rent out the remainder. Does the other party have to be Dvc members? Is there any sepecific forms to fill out.?

I know the points are usless to non dvc members but, what i mean inthat question is to make the reservationsfor them and they pay
Know up front that there are risks in renting. This is a private transaction between you and the renter, and Disney will not intervene.

Check out the stickies on the rental boards for a primer on renting.

As previously mentioned, you'll probably want to have some sort of written agreement with the person who's renting from you. The renter has to trust you, because they're giving you their money up front, and because they're not permitted to talk directly with DVC Member Services, pretty much has to take your word for it that there really will be a reservation in their name when they show up. As others have said, if they want to add the dining plan, they need to trust you with their credit card information to book it for them (or send you Disney gift cards to use).

You as the member also need to trust them. If they leave an outstanding balance on their room charges or damage the room, Disney is going to come after you as the member for restitution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
I know that members are supposed to notify Member Services that they're being paid for a reservation when they book it (and that this sometimes leads to an issue with a Cast Member who isn't familiar with the rules and doesn't think it's allowed.) I'd never heard about the requirement for a written contract, though. Is there actually language specifying this in the POS?
Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #13
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post

I know that members are supposed to notify Member Services that they're being paid for a reservation when they book it (and that this sometimes leads to an issue with a Cast Member who isn't familiar with the rules and doesn't think it's allowed.) I'd never heard about the requirement for a written contract, though. Is there actually language specifying this in the POS?
Yes, there is specific language in the POs covering rental agreements and leasing in general. I have not been able to locate the requirement to notify MS that the reservation is for a renter however. Perhaps someone can quote that language in the POS to cover that policy.

From the 5/1993 POS - Club Membership Agreement, Section IV:
Rentals

Club Member Rentals - A Club Member may make a reservation tp use the accommodations of the Condominium or other DVC Resorts, if any, himself, make their use available to family or friends or guests, or rent them solely through his own efforts. DVD's approval of a rental by a Club Member is not required after a reservation has been made in the renter's own name, and Club Members are permitted to rent their occupancy rights on terms and conditiona that they may establish. No rental assistance is being offered by DVD or DVC or any affiliate or subsidiary of DVD or DVC. All renters must comply with the rules and regulations affecting occupancy, and the renting Club Member will be responsible for the acts and ommissions of his renters or any other person or persons permitted by the Club Member to use the accommodation. Neither DVD nor DVC in any way represent or promote that a particular DVC Resort accommodation can be rented, or if it is rented, that any particular rental rate can be obtained for such rental.

From the July,1995 POS - Exhibit "F" to the Master Deed -
Condominium Rules and Regulations of Disney Vacation Club Horizontal Property Regime:
5. Leasing of Vacation Homes.
All of the terms and provisions of the Condominium Documents and these Condominium Rules and Regulations pertaining to use and occupancy shall be applicable and enforceable against any person occupying a Vacation Home as a tenant to the same extent as against an owner. Any lease or rental agreement, whether oral or written and whether specifically expressed in such agreement or not, shall be deemed to contain a covenant upon the part of each such tenant designating the Associations as the Owner's agent for the purpose of and with the authority to terminate any such lease or rental agreement in the event of violations by the tenant of the terms and provisions of the Condominium Documents or Condominium Rules and Regulations. All leasing or rental agreements relating to the use, occupancy and possession of any Vacation Home must be in writing and must set forth an acknowledgement and consent on the part of the lessee-sublessee-tenant to use, occupy and possess such Vacation Home in conformance and compliance with the provisions of the Condominium Documents and these Condominium Rules and Regulations. In the event an owner fails to secure a written leasing or rental agreement, the Association reserves the right to request the lessee-sublessee-tenant to execute an acknowlefgement to use and occupy the rented or leased Vacation Home in conformance and compliance with the Condominium Documents and these Condominium Rules and Regulations.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
Sammie
DIS Veteran

IV.Member Benefits and Privileges

3. Making Reservations for Non-Members

1) Club Members may use their Home Resort Vacation Points to reserve Vacation Home that will be occupied by non Club Members.

2) When a Club Member uses his or her Home Resort Vacation Points to reserve Vacation Homes on the behalf of a non-Club Member, and the Club Member does not charge any rental or other fees to the non Club Member for the reservation, the non-Club Member is eligible for all or some of the Club Member privileges and benefits that a Club Member would normally receive during his or her stay in the reserved Vacation Home. If the non Club member is renting, it is the responsibility of the Member to notify Member Services when making the reservation. Member privileges and benefits cannot be extended to non-Club Members who rent Vacation Homes from Club Members.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: