Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Serenlas
Mouseketeer

Normal boots & wellies - will we be OK?

I had planned to buy us all snow boots for our upcoming trip, but to be honest I could really do without spending the money on them if I can get away with it - ditto walking boots! My girls gave Clarks boots (http://www.shoesforkids.co.uk/images..._IN_PURPLE.jpg), they're not lined but they seem warm and comfortable. I have new Rocket Dogs which I think would be toasty if I wear thermal socks. We could take wellies for REALLY wet days (fingers crossed there won't be any!!) and wear thermals + extra socks/tights if needed. I could also scotchguard our boots to make them a bit more water resistant (not found out for sure if they're waterproof or not yet!). What do you think??
Old 11-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
DLPDreams
I am like a child in a sweet shop, all hyper on sugar

I think you probably read that I bought us all boots (and yes, for 3 of us, it mounts up and it's cost associated with the trip that you don't think about). We have tried them a few times now and honestly, I wouldn't be without them now.

BUT, you know your childrens' boots - like you say, with thermal socks they will probably be fine but if it is really wet, then no, I don't think they will suffice, but wellies with thick, thermal socks would do I'm sure . We are flying so there is no way I could take normal boots & wellies for all of us.

I have probably gone over the top with our stuff for this trip but having never been at that time of year (and the weather being so unpredictable), I'd rather be OTT about warm weather clothes/footwear. We can always take off layer if need be - but hard to add them if you don't have them! We had an evening out the other weekend and it was freezing - we weren't that well prepared and the girls were crying with the cold (hands & feet in particular) - I don't want to repeat that if I can help it .

One thing to bear in mind - if you are going for those heat hugger type socks (and honestly, they are amazing), they are really thick. We have sized up on our boots and with those socks, they fit just fine. I wouldn't have liked to wear my normal size with those socks on as I think our feet might have felt very constricted.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
pascalstongue
DIS Veteran

I went in December in 2010 right when we had loads of snow. I had wellies and Ugg boots and my feet were FREEZING. Things may have improved since but they didnt grit many areas making most of the walkways treacherous and when the snow melted the walkways were flooded in places. If it looks like it may snow definitely get snow boots. If it will be dry you should be fine in normal boots.

pascalstongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
nicola
Tinkerbell
Bring it on baby!!!

I'm going to be honest and say that I would strongly suggest that you invest in some proper gortex walking boots. Wellies are not going to be comfie to wear for any length of time.we have been several times at this time of year and it could easily rain heavy a good deal of the time you are there.one year it rained really heavy the entire time we were there and if we hadn't had our warm gortex walking boots our week would have been ruined.i would not skimp on footwear...try to cut back in other areas.u might get lucky but the chances of rain are quite high and I just could not imagine wearing wellie boots round...you would prob end up with blisters.just my opinion...I would hate to see your week ruined due to uncomfortable or wet feet! Xo

2 trips to WDW in early 90's
May, 2003 DLP NPBC
June, 2004 DLP HNY
May, 2005 DLP HNY

Nov, 2005 DLP DLH (Yea!!!)

nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
MissSkellington
Of cabbages and kings...

We're basically doing the same thing!

I've never been before, so I really can't offer advice, but we're also taking something similar, and waterproofing them. Hopefully this is enough as I'm just not taking snow boots. No more room in the car, and simply don't want to wear them!

I'm also taking tennis shoes, as I have a bum knee and if I plan to make it through the week, I'll need them.
*WDW 2005 - POP (April) *DLR 2008 (May) - offsite
*DLR 2008 (Oct) - offsite *DLR 2009 (Dec) - offsite
*WDW 2011 (Feb) POR *1st DLRP 2012 (Nov) SL
*DLRP 2013 (Feb) NPBC *DLRP 2013 (June) DLH
*DLRP 2013 (Oct) SL *DLRP 2013 (Nov) HNY *DLRP 2014 (Jan) DLH
MissSkellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
tinks_1989
need a like button

I would def suggest wellie's If you are wearing ugg type boots (sorry dont know what rocket dogs are) they aren't great at all once they get wet I wore mine in march and once they were wet they were cold walking all the way back to hotel just to change socks and shoes was such a waste of park time I am taking my wellies and wellie thermal socks this time x
tinks_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
Serenlas
Mouseketeer

I did budget for snow boots (can't stretch to anything more expensive than that), but having never needed them before I was just wondering if they're really essential. To be honest we've spent long days walking around in wellies at festivals, and in thinner socks, and been fine comfort wise.. they're definitely not warm though and that is a concern! I bought normal thermals in the end rather than Heathuggers. Perhaps I will just bite the bullet and get us all some snow boots and hope we have a cold snowy Winter & they'll get plenty of use At the moment it's still quite mild, nowhere near snow weather here, but of course that could change any moment!

Can I ask where people that have worn snow boots previously have bought them from? I assume Tesco/Asda/Ebay are going to be fine for 4 days? Would you travel in them on the Eurostar or are they going to be too warm and bulky?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
DLPDreams

I bought Karrimor weathertite (those are the waterproof ones) for all of us. I did pay a bit but not as much as you are probably thinking. I googled some last night and actually, you can get some Karrimor models quite cheap if you shop around.

They are not snowboots (we have those and they are too bulky to walk in all day imo - well, ours are). They are more of an all weather walking boot. Like I say, we have tried them a few times now (although admittedly not in really wet weather, wet ground, but not heavy rain). The girls (4 & 7) have never complained about sore feet, bulkiness/heaviness in walking in them.

Have you got a JD Sports or Sports Direct near you? - sometimes they have good deals on boots. Asda etc may be fine but you'll need to ensure they are waterproof which isn't always the case with cheaper snowboots.

I am hoping we'll get next winter out of ours with them being a size bigger but I think we'll get plenty of use anyway - I've already worn mine for a very wet school run day and they were great!

I have Rocketdogs too - lovely and warm but no good in wet weather at all. I also have two pairs of lovely FLY boots (knee high) - gorgeous and I wear them every day but they leak terribly - worse than anything I have ever known! And uggs as well (bit of a bootaholic!) and again, not good in wet. So - for me a new pair of warm, waterproof non bulky boots was a winner .
Old 11-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
DLPdaft
Cannot stop singing "Just like we dreeeeamed it"
Has a calming influence

DISboards Moderator

my walking boots are Cotton Traders - and they only come out of the wardrobe to go to DLP with me (on every trip since I bought them). For adults waterproof walking boots are always going to come in handy.

For winter trips to DLP, my DD has been fine in waterproof boots, with a pair of thermal socks and another pair of socks or tights underneath. However, my DD has never been in a pushchair at DLP, she's always walked, and we do walk for miles at DLP, so if your feet are moving, they're less likely to be cold. For a little child in a puschair, I think they'd need warmer footwear.

Waterproof is important, and warm layers are important, including on your feet.

Elaine
Feb 07 Santa Fe, Oct 07 Santa Fe, Nov 07 Cheyenne, June 08 Explorers, Oct 08 surprise upgrade to the Newport Bay Club! May 09 Magic Circus, Dec 09 Santa Fe VIP, Oct 10 Santa Fe "Cars stylee", March 11 St Patricks Day Santa Fe, Nov 11 Dream Castle bonfire and Christmas, June 12 Dream Castle 20th Dreams, Feb 13 Santa Fe & Dreams, April 14 Santa Fe Spring Festival Fun
DLPdaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
Serenlas
Mouseketeer

I think we'll check out Sports Direct tomorrow Thanks all!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

Location: sur les cases bleues du monopoly -1 mile from Disneyland Paris

Leather boots and trainers are what I wear in winter be it at DLP or walking around Paris all day in the wet and or snow.

Wellies are not a common site here unless you live on a farm.

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
Serenlas
Mouseketeer

I did wonder what you do about footwear Carrie!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #13
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

Location: sur les cases bleues du monopoly -1 mile from Disneyland Paris

I've got 2 pairs of leather boots which are waterproofed before winter and then a pair of trainers with good grips.

I've never seen a French adult in wellies besides in the country and even children don't have them beyond some pink ones for toddlers..after that everyone wears shoes, boots, trainers.

You might see children in moon boot type things when it snows but not in the rain

As an idea here are some of this years childrens shoes for winter

http://www.chaussea.com/saison/enfan...limit=Tous&p=1

and I guess this is the closest thing to a moon boot

http://www.chaussea.com/enfant-fille...otte-1932.html

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
DLPDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie_Cat View Post
Leather boots and trainers are what I wear in winter be it at DLP or walking around Paris all day in the wet and or snow.

Wellies are not a common site here unless you live on a farm.
Interesting that you don't wear anything snowboot type Carrie. However, do you think you realistically spend as much time out in DLP as someone who is there for just a few days trip? For example, if it rains (and I mean pours down), would you still really go to DLP and spend the day outside (or most of it), or would you postpone or go and maybe have a meal/shop then go home? Just asking really, as if it were me and I lived so close, I am sure I wouldn't go out in high snow/heavy rain for a long period of time there (and certainly wouldn't spend hours queuing for rides etc), if I could go a week later or even a day later when the weather might have improved, if you see what I mean....

Agree about wellies - we only really ever use them for farm trips or school trips where they are specified. Never in the snow as they just do not keep your feet warm enough and can be quite unwieldy to walk in on ice etc. And believe me, where we live we get plenty of bad weather/snow etc!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
Serenlas
Mouseketeer

This is true, if you're local and have an annual pass it's probably easier to fit trips around the weather? Must be fabulous!! At the moment it doesn't look like it's THAT cold there, even at the lowest night time temperature. I wish there was an accurate way of predicting what the weather will be like, it'd be so much easier!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: