Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
FreeThinker
Mouseketeer

Where to stay for a large family?

We have DH and I, and our 5 kids (10, 8, 5, 5 and 2) and are thinking of staying on-site or very closeby for 3 nights in May. What hotel options do I have for a larger family? Or do I have to get 2 connecting rooms? Will any hotel be more family-friendly than another? We will have a car, so driving won't be a problem if needed, but I think that staying on-site might be better for going back and forth from the room to the park.

We also will go for 3 nights near Busch gardens if anyone has any large family recommendations for there!
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
MEK
DIS Veteran

All the hotels at Disney are very family friendly. Because your youngest is two I don't think he/she counts in your total occupancy number. If that is the case you could look at the family suites at Art of Animation or All Star Music (occupancy is 6).

Your other option is two adjoining rooms at any of the resort hotels.

Another option is doing a 2BR DVC rental. You rent points from a DVC member and they book your stay.

Lastly, you could look off site at Bonnet Creek. Its actually the closet non Disney resort and is on Disney property.

And finally, you could do a rental through VRBO. Most of those are weekly rentals, but you might be able to find something for 3 nights.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
MEK
DIS Veteran

Here is the place my brother and family are renting in June

http://www.vrbo.com/328705

He still has some days open in May. The rates are very reasonable. My bro has 4 kids, so he understands your dilemma. He has spoken with the owner at length and my brother is thrilled about this property. He actually invited me to go along so it will be my first off site stay. Supposedly this place is very close to AK and there is a back route to get there.

Good luck!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

I'm going to assume that you are going to Universal and not Disney like the previous poster.

There are a few suites hotels that are just offsite but very, very close to Universal. However, you won't get the unlimited express passes like you do by staying onsite. Personally, I would get two connecting rooms at the Royal Pacific as it will probably be the cheapest and has a great pool for your little ones.

If price isn't an option, you might consider getting a two bedroom villa or portofino suite at the Portofino. It will give you three bathrooms.

One thing I do recommend if you are going in May is to avoid going on a Friday if possible. The parks can be over run with school groups.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
MEK
DIS Veteran

haha Universal! Oops. I gotta stop hitting on these posts without seeing which forum they are in. Ok scratch that!

Old 11-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
FreeThinker
Mouseketeer

Yes, Universal, not Disney. We did Disney last summer and DH insists we do something different. We are thinking driving down (1 night stay in hotel somewhre along the way), arriving late Saturday night, Sun, Mon, at IoA and Universal, then part of a day Tuesday, and move to Tampa for 3 nights of Busch gardens and beach and an ecotour of some sort.
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: