Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
BlazerFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarangel View Post
Woo Hoo! Sounds like there will be 3 DIS Families there in that time period. We should try to meet up at least once while we're all there
Make that 4, although our group will be 9 adults and and 1 year old. We arrive on 11/23 and leave in waves on 12/1 and 12/2. I CAN'T WAIT!
BlazerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #17
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

Love this thread. Thanks for sharing all of your research.
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
Sarangel
Rumor has it ...
Often has info before the 'other boards'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerFan View Post
Make that 4, although our group will be 9 adults and and 1 year old. We arrive on 11/23 and leave in waves on 12/1 and 12/2. I CAN'T WAIT!
Welcome aboard!! 9:1 sounds like a great ratio (we did that at WDW when DD was 5 months old, and it was great). Hold down the fort until we get there on Saturday, and take notes...

We learn the best stuff by sharing with each other.

I'm still excited to know that they have Grills!! That's going to make a huge difference for us in the food department (I was despairing of coming up with meals with only a microwave, toaster and rice cooker). Now I'm planning on grilling Chicken a couple of nights, making chicken ceaser salad one night, Chicken/apple/pecan salad one night (also good for lunch), one night of Mac & Cheese with veggies and one of chicken quesidillas - Woo Hoo. We may even grill fish, but I'm less sure of doing that, since I haven't before...

Either way, it'll all be good.
Sarangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #19
renknt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Welcome aboard!! 9:1 sounds like a great ratio (we did that at WDW when DD was 5 months old, and it was great). Hold down the fort until we get there on Saturday, and take notes...

We learn the best stuff by sharing with each other.

I'm still excited to know that they have Grills!! Now I'm planning on grilling Chicken a couple of nights, making chicken ceaser salad one night, Chicken/apple/pecan salad one night (also good for lunch), one night of Mac & Cheese with veggies and one of chicken quesidillas - Woo Hoo. We may even grill fish, but I'm less sure of doing that, since I haven't before...

Either way, it'll all be good.
You are planning on doing the grilling? OMG I will really be in paradise, thanks Honey

is this gloating?
renknt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #20
lablady
Mouseketeer

It's coming so fast! We get there Monday night, and I wish the time would just get here already!! I've tried very hard not to plan our days like crazy, but I've managed to come up with something almost every single day, which annoys me, because I hate having somewhere that I HAVE to be when on vacation. It just seems that if we want to see and do some of these things we need to get up and get moving. The joy of having just one week....

Early stuff: Pearl Harbor, Hanauma Bay, Ko Olina Snorkeling excursion, horse back riding excursion on the North Shore...that's 4 days of getting up early....sigh. Oh well, I'd be getting up earlier to go to work in the dark and cold if I was at home!

Since I'm lazy, do you know what days that swap meet goes on at the Aloha Stadium? I see that you are going and I'm hoping I can fit in at some point. Thanks! :D

<Shawna>
lablady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #21
Sarangel
Rumor has it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablady View Post
Since I'm lazy, do you know what days that swap meet goes on at the Aloha Stadium? I see that you are going and I'm hoping I can fit in at some point. Thanks! :D
That's on Wednesdays. I'm hoping to find something awesome.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #22
lablady
Mouseketeer

Quote:
That's on Wednesdays. I'm hoping to find something awesome.
That might actually work! We are going to Pearl Harbor that morning and I know it's right by there. Maybe we'll stop there afterwords. Any money I can save on souvenirs would help!

<Shawna>
Old 11-21-2012, 03:36 AM   #23
DMarq
Adventuresome Family!

Swap Meet on Wednesdays, Saturday & Sunday. I think it goes from 7am-3pm
DMarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #24
spiroff.natasha
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So, now we move into the space Hawaii's all about.

BEACHES!

Since DH & I are avid snorklers (and divers, but can't afford dive prices for this trip ) for us it's all about how many fish we can scare... On my list are:
  • Hanauma Bay - Very Famous, protected Reef (closed Tuesdays). Marine preserve, with a $1/day parking fee + $5/per person fee to enter. Worth it to educate DD on the ecosystem, since there's a required educational film to see before entering the water.

Kuilma Cove - Sheltered North Shore snorkling. "one of the best places for beginer snorkeling in the islands" Do this before or after Hanuma Bay?

Kahe Point Beach Park - High fish population, just north of Ko Olina Resort area, Nicknamed "electric beach"... DO NOT snorkle/swim in front of the electric plant water outflows. More intermediate/advanced beach. Do this without DD?

Kaena Point State Park - more isolated than most beaches. Can be rough if the seas are running high.

Sharks Cove - One of the 12 best shore dives in the world - but the waters can be rough in the winter... Again, without DD?

We almost certainly won't do all of these, but it's nice to have the choices.

Good list! I live here on Oahu and will say that my husband and I love to snorkel Electric Beach, it's one of our favorites. Have fun!!

Blog
WDW College Program Trip Report
We've got the moves like Mickey...a January 2012 Trip Report

Spring 2011 CP Alumni - CRT
spiroff.natasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #25
Sarangel
Rumor has it ...

Well, we made it - almost exactly according to schedule. We got up at 5:00 am this morning, spent an hour getting everyone through the shower, and all those last minute things packed... We were out of the house by 6:15 and down to San Jose by 7:00.

DH dropped me, DD and the luggage off in front of the Alaska Air terminal and went to drop off the car at our long term parking. By the time he got back, DD and I had gotten us checked in (with a little re-arranging of weight, and one stubborn lock), the bags checked and found the gate number. Since we were running ahead of the curve, all our lines were short.

We walked into security and back out, with only the normal inconveniences, to find ourselves literally at the gate. A little reconoitering found us lunch (and coffee). By then it was time to take off for Oahu.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:35 AM   #26
Sarangel
Rumor has it ...

We got to Honolulu around 1:00 local time, collected our luggage and went searching for our rental car. Half an hour or so later we were well on our way to Aulani!

The first thing we noticed was that the entrance to the resort was well-hidden, we kept expecting it to be on one of the side roads that wrap around the edges of the resort, but it's in the middle without any neon signs to help the unwary tourists. All I can say is don't get so excited by the sign for the resort that you miss the turn in...

Once we parked for checkin, DH and DD started unloading the car while I snuck through the tag & release tourist trap (Lei greeting). Don't worry, they caught me later when I was tracked down by the family (trailing the poor chap who missed me the first time). The tuber roses were lovely, and I suppose I should have been more serious about the first lei I've ever gotten, but somehow it seemed a little, I dunno, over done.

The staff was wonderful, showing us little things about the lobby and resort (which we mostly knew thanks to you all): the animals carved into the volcano, the menehune, some hidden Mickeys, the compass in the lobby floor...

Oops gotta go, it's time to pick up DD from Aunties
Old 11-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
kabrice
Earning My Ears

update on the grills

Hey Sarangel thanks for the post/information. We leave for Aulani on December 12th and plan to use the grills. Please share your grilling experience. Also curious about the weather and the temperature of the water. We are Floridians and are used to "warm" water.
Have you found the daily Iwa is similar to the one posted online? I am trying to plan our days around Aulani activities and Oahu adventures.
kabrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #28
renknt
Mouseketeer

So any of you DIS people at the Aulani want to meet up for a drink :/ soda/ get acquainted . Our rm # 684 call

is this gloating?
renknt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:00 AM   #29
lablady
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We got to Honolulu around 1:00 local time, collected our luggage and went searching for our rental car. Half an hour or so later we were well on our way to Aulani!

The first thing we noticed was that the entrance to the resort was well-hidden, we kept expecting it to be on one of the side roads that wrap around the edges of the resort, but it's in the middle without any neon signs to help the unwary tourists. All I can say is don't get so excited by the sign for the resort that you miss the turn in...

Once we parked for checkin, DH and DD started unloading the car while I snuck through the tag & release tourist trap (Lei greeting). Don't worry, they caught me later when I was tracked down by the family (trailing the poor chap who missed me the first time). The tuber roses were lovely, and I suppose I should have been more serious about the first lei I've ever gotten, but somehow it seemed a little, I dunno, over done.

The staff was wonderful, showing us little things about the lobby and resort (which we mostly knew thanks to you all): the animals carved into the volcano, the menehune, some hidden Mickeys, the compass in the lobby floor...

Oops gotta go, it's time to pick up DD from Aunties
Dang, and I've been worried about getting lost on our way to the resort! We'll be coming in about 8:30 tomorrow night, so finding my way in the dark may be a challenge.

You got me laughing over your "tag and release tourist trap"! Now I can only imagine the nefarious purposes that the leis might be put to. We're next, assuming I find the place!

<Shawna>
Old 11-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #30
Sarangel
Rumor has it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablady

Dang, and I've been worried about getting lost on our way to the resort! We'll be coming in about 8:30 tomorrow night, so finding my way in the dark may be a challenge.

You got me laughing over your "tag and release tourist trap"! Now I can only imagine the nefarious purposes that the leis might be put to. We're next, assuming I find the place!
Finding the resort isn't hard, for us it was difficult finding the driveway! So when you see the Aulani sign, slow down, and right after you'll see a speed limit sign. The driveway is right behind the sign.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: