Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #121
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
China.

And Diana Sawyer will go there to investigate.
naw, give it to Japan... maybe they can create HD Twinkies. :P
Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #122
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
China.

I just had an amusing mental image of the Chinese eating Twinkies and making our Olympic Ceremony uniforms.

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #123
Anjelica
Self-Declared Queen of WebSphere

Have they or will the employees lose their pension balances? I assume they had a cash value of their existing pensions.
Anjelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #124
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castleview View Post
You're talking consulting type work. I'm talking laborers. If someone shows up the machine shop every day to work the same hours doing the same job, should he be an independent contractor?
You statement said, "Independent contractors are just an excuse for a business to not pay insurance or social security on an employee." When others show that your statement is not true you just reinvent what you said.

Many laborers in construction, for example, are independent contractors. It has been like that for as long as I can remember.

All the independent contractors I know go to the same place every day, work the same hours and do the same job every day. Some have been at the same place for over a decade. Independent contractors go back over a century. They are not a new invention.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #125
Hollywoodhaha
After all this time? Always
Mad Hatter It's a love story, Baby just say yes

NOO! Wonder bread

WDW College Program Alumni: Spring Advantage 2012 merchandise & Fall 2013 Space Mountain

Hollywoodhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #126
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Again, if someone feels the company they work for treats them like dirt, they are free to leave that company, are they not?
And go where, exactly?

Not just talking to you, luvmy3 but I see this so many times in these types of threads. "If you don't like the working conditions, find another job". There are no other jobs.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #127
sadiras
Mouseketeer

Quote:
China.

Yes, China. Trinkies with a fortune in the middle.
sadiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #128
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Let's be fair. Everyone is "greedy" because everyone wants to make money. Now, in this specific situation, Hostess told the Union workers that they (Hostess) could no longer contribute 2% towards their (the union) retirement and that the union would need to pick up that tab. They told the union that if they (Hostess) continued to contribute that amount, it would put them out of business. The union refused to budge and now EVERYONE is out of a job. In this specific situation, it sounds like the union was greedy and uncaring.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #129
castleview
I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown my bangs out
I'm too impatient with the skillet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
You statement said, "Independent contractors are just an excuse for a business to not pay insurance or social security on an employee." When others show that your statement is not true you just reinvent what you said.

Many laborers in construction, for example, are independent contractors. It has been like that for as long as I can remember.

All the independent contractors I know go to the same place every day, work the same hours and do the same job every day. Some have been at the same place for over a decade. Independent contractors go back over a century. They are not a new invention.
Those would be subcontractors who would OWN their share and take it into their own hands. I'm talking about those that don't.
castleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #130
castleview

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
For you, the glass is always half empty.
No, I'd say it's half full because I believe people can be good and do the right thing. You, on the hand, seem to think it's natural for people to be devious and uncaring. So I'd say you're the one who is a little pessimistic.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #131
pumpkinmomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjelica View Post
Have they or will the employees lose their pension balances? I assume they had a cash value of their existing pensions.
I read in a Fortune article (from back in July) that they owed about $2 billion in unfunded pension liabilities so who knows what will come of that. Probably a good bet that the employees will lose out on a lot of their pensions.
pumpkinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #132
castleview

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
"sounds" being the operative word. While I have no love your unions, they were either going to screw their members by taking another cut or this.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #133
DisMN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjelica View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that their pensions will mysteriously vanish
... (into the coffers of the higher ups. VERY common. happened to my husband with his 28 year pension. months later we find out that one of the bigwigs had a beautiful new second home built that included gold plated toilet fixtures.)

Of course PBGC will cover them but only at a small fraction of what they should have been, and that's if the PBGC itself survives.
DisMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #134
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castleview View Post
So an employee with a high school education chooses to work as an independent contractor? I don't think so. My state just kept Linda McMahon from becoming a senator and one of the biggest gripes was that her wrestlers in the WWE were paid as independent contractors even though it's a physically taxing job.

As for the companies that did leave, they probably had no intention of staying. They were just trying to put the onus on someone else and some people still fall for that.
This is totally off topic, but why was the wrestlers being independent contractors a problem? It is a physically taxing job but most would rather be independent contractors at least until they get a big contract because they are free to jump from organization to organization.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #135
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
And go where, exactly?

Not just talking to you, luvmy3 but I see this so many times in these types of threads. "If you don't like the working conditions, find another job". There are no other jobs.
I have friends and acquaintances in local professional groups that have a hard time filling the jobs they have opened. One was trying to fill somewhere around 15 accounting jobs and it took them all summer to get enough qualified applicants, many from out of town, even though they tried to fill all the positions with local applicants. I get jobs emailed to me at least weekly from them looking for IT people to see if I can recommend any.

As long as you have in demand skills and make the right contacts there are jobs out there. Yes, some jobs that were once plentiful are going away but that is what happens as technology and society evolves. If I wasn't willing to expand my skill set constantly I would quickly be obsolete. The skills I had when I graduated college even in 2003 would get me nowhere had I not continually added onto them. There are people out there that haven't expanded their skill set in decades. That just isn't good enough in the modern world. It might suck, I'm sure it does for many, but you have to roll with change.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: