Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #46
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

I love their cupcakes but haven't eaten any in ages since I have to be careful with chocolate. Such a shame. All those employees is the biggest shame. I really feel sorry for them.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #47
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Interesting. Hostess is now controlled by a group of investment firms, including hedge funds Silver Point Capital and Monarch Alternative Capital.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #48
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Unions have their pluses & minuses.
Absolutely. These union issues always end up with the "unions are the best thing ever" crowd against the "unions are ruining the country" crowd. The reality is in the middle. There are good things about them and bad things. Sometimes they help a situation and sometimes they hurt a situation.

It appears in this situation they hurt it. I'm sure they were only one of the problems, I don't think it came down to only the baker's union, but it is better to be part of the solution than part of the problem, no?
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #49
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
Interesting. Hostess is now controlled by a group of investment firms, including hedge funds Silver Point Capital and Monarch Alternative Capital.
Ok, why is that interesting? They were in bankruptcy, were they not?
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #50
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Ok all you A cattle, get in the chute. Moooo. Moooo.
It has a kick. Otherwise, yummy yummy.
Onions rule!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610 View Post
While you don't like to see people lose their jobs, sometimes they have no one but themselves to blame for that. As a company, Hostess was in trouble. The union workers knew that, but instead of working with Hostess to try and work out a deal that would help keep Hostess open and keep people in jobs, they didn't so now there are no jobs, instead of a number of jobs at a lesser wage. I just don't get why people have a hard time understanding, a little of something is a whole lot better than nothing.
Hostess demise can be laid at the feet of way too much debt in takeover restructuring, horribly out dated products, and bad management. Seriously, their plan to save the company was
Wait for it.
Wait for it.
BOOM!!!! BANANA FLAVORED TWINKIES!!!!!

And even as the company was crumbling under the weight of too much debt and slagging sales, and even as the unions that many are going to blame for all this were making concession after concession, the CEO got a 300% raise and the next top 4 executives received pay increases averaging 80%. If you want to actually build a baking business, you put someone with experience in charge. If you want to extract what you can out of a baking business regardless of the impact on the company itself, it's creditors or workers, you put "restructuring experts" and third tier managers with no experience in the industry in charge. And that's just what they did. Hostess could have survived if it had developed new products and marketed them. But nobody was put in charge that knew how to do that or even cared because there was no desire to do that. If the unions made any mistake it's that they actually thought the other side was bargaining in good faith when all along, they were not. The union could have caved on everything and it wouldn't have changed a thing. And at this point, there is no way the workers can even trust that management would have even kept to any contract they agreed to. They've broken them in the past. And now the union and the strike is being used for cover.

Last edited by Cannot_Wait_4Disney; 11-16-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Cannot_Wait_4Disney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #51
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorsha View Post
I feel very very bad for the workers who will be out of work, especially right before Christmas. Not good timing.

However, I will not miss the company at all. IMHO most of their products are disgusting; and super-over-processed white breads and snacks that are full of HFCS and other junk have contributed way too much to our nation's problems with obesity and diabetes.

Also, because of board rules, I will simply state that I have no sympathy with huge companies that refuse to pay their workers a living wage or give them full-time hours or benefits. If a company cannot figure out a business model that allows them to take care of their own workers and still stay financially solvent, then they don't deserve to be in business. And that's all the further I will discuss it.
Really I assuming from this post you have run many successful businesses?
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #52
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannot_Wait_4Disney View Post
Hostess demise can be laid at the feet of way too much debt in takeover restructuring, horribly out dated products, and bad management. Seriously, their plan to save the company was
Wait for it.
Wait for it.

And even as the company was crumbling under the weight of too much debt and slagging sales, and even as the unions that the usual suspects are going to blame for all this were making concession after concession, the CEO got a 300% raise and the next top 4 executives received pay increases averaging 80%. If the unions made any mistake it's that they actually thought the other side was bargaining in good faith. They weren't. Even if the union caved in on everything it wouldn't have changed a thing. And at this point, there is no way the workers can even trust that management would have even kept to any contract they agreed to. They've broken them in the past. Liquidation was the plan all along. The strike had nothing to do with it other than management playing CYA by blaming it for the company's demise which was coming anyway.

I just don't get how this happens.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #53
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Wait for it.
Wait for it.

And even as the company was crumbling under the weight of too much debt and slagging sales, and even as the unions that the usual suspects are going to blame for all this were making concession after concession, the CEO got a 300% raise and the next top 4 executives received pay increases averaging 80%. If the unions made any mistake it's that they actually thought the other side was bargaining in good faith. They weren't. Even if the union caved in on everything it wouldn't have changed a thing. And at this point, there is no way the workers can even trust that management would have even kept to any contract they agreed to. They've broken them in the past. Liquidation was the plan all along. The strike had nothing to do with it other than management playing CYA by blaming it for the company's demise which was coming anyway.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #54
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I just don't get how this happens.
Doesn't make a lot of sense. From a practical standpoint however, $1 an hour for 18,000 people is a lot more expensive than a 300% raise for the boss. Not arguing right or wrong, just trying to put it in perspective.

And if liquidation was indeed the company's plans all along, I still say the unions shot themselves in the foot by standing firm. At this point, it matter not if they trusted Hostess or thought they'd get robbed again down the road. If you're on a sinking ship, and you know it's sinking, you can try your hardest to keep it afloat long enough for a lifeboat to come by. Or, you can jump into shark infested waters and swim for it. Personally, I'm afraid of sharks.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #55
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Just want to start off by saying i didnt read any of the previous posts....

OMG I couldnt agree more. The company warned employees that if they go on strike, the company might not survive. Well they went on strike anyway and guess what? All you people are out of a job. You gambled and thought the company was bluffing about closing down? Well now all you suckers are out of a job. What good came out of the strike? NOTHING! No sympathy from me either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy View Post
And now no one has a job who works there!! Guess the strike was not what they were hoping for. Sorry for those who did not strike and stuck around to work hopefully something good will come out of this for them but the strikers not an ounce of sympathy from me they walked out on their job so they are responsible for their unemployment now.
Totally agree. I'd rather see small bakeries succeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
Hopefully this will be good news for small, locally owned bakeries. I'd much rather see them succeed than any big food manufacturing conglomerate which is at least partially responsible for this nation's current state of health.

I dont eat twinkies etc anymore, but im still sad to see them go. Such a shame.

EDIT: Just read the below. I didnt know all that. Interesting. Thanks for posting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannot_Wait_4Disney

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

Last edited by goofyintoronto; 11-16-2012 at 11:23 AM.
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #56
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Wait for it.
Wait for it.

Corporate greed? I am shocked! And yes when you have hedge funds involved you know the liquidation is coming.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #57
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610

While you don't like to see people lose their jobs, sometimes they have no one but themselves to blame for that. As a company, Hostess was in trouble. The union workers knew that, but instead of working with Hostess to try and work out a deal that would help keep Hostess open and keep people in jobs, they didn't so now there are no jobs, instead of a number of jobs at a lesser wage.

I just don't get why people have a hard time understanding, a little of something is a whole lot better than nothing.
This exactly!! I feel no sympathy for these people that walked out on their jobs. They made their beds, let'em lie in it.

I do feel bad for the rest of us that will miss Hostess products & be forced to take care of a whole bunch more people with economic handouts. I personally don't think they should see a dime, but most will end up better off not working. Sad, what this country has become.
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #58
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

I am thinking there is a good chance some of these products will be bought by other companies. Hostess owned lots of brands, not just junk either. THey made Natures pride breads, and those had good ingredients, I really liked them.

I can see Nabisco or someother company at least buying recipes. I can't see no more Twinkies (I havent eaten them in decades) or Yodels or devil dogs. I see them being made elsewhere.

But the little ppl lose their jobs, and the hedgefund rich guys sell the company by the recipe and walk away even richer.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #59
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Who knows it may make an increase for Little Debbie and make more jobs. It is hard when you work for a union. The top people of Hostess should have taken a decrease in the wages and bonuses. I have seen so many corporate top people get bonuses that are huge. And the workers wages never got an increase. I hope they all find jobs.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #60
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsneprincess View Post
I personally don't think they should see a dime, but most will end up better off not working. Sad, what this country has become.
I seriously doubt that someone make a decent wage with decent healthcare benefits is going to be "better off not working."

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: