Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #16
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

NOOOOOO!!!!!!! How will we survive the Zombie Apocalypse.

That is so sad.....I was watching this on the news last night.

RIP to Hostess.

The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Drake's makes Yodels. Hostess makes something similar.
Drakes is owned by Hostess.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #18
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

I feel bad for the workers. The Bakers Union was the only one striking.

I think they could have negated w/out a strike but they were asked to make huge concessions. Staff reduction (30+%) huge pay cut (I've read 8%), benefit reduction, pension freeze. Realistically, if your family depended on your income how many could live with those cuts?

The strike may have sped up the process but Hostess was headed this way anyway.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #19
rgf207
DIS Veteran

It's definitely sad for the workers but I don't think it will be the end of hostess products. They will be selling the assets and chances are Twinkies and other favorites will be picked up by other companies and they will still be produced just under another brand name

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy View Post
And now no one has a job who works there!! Guess the strike was not what they were hoping for. Sorry for those who did not strike and stuck around to work hopefully something good will come out of this for them but the strikers not an ounce of sympathy from me they walked out on their job so they are responsible for their unemployment now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610 View Post
While you don't like to see people lose their jobs, sometimes they have no one but themselves to blame for that. As a company, Hostess was in trouble. The union workers knew that, but instead of working with Hostess to try and work out a deal that would help keep Hostess open and keep people in jobs, they didn't so now there are no jobs, instead of a number of jobs at a lesser wage.

I just don't get why people have a hard time understanding, a little of something is a whole lot better than nothing.

And before anyone says anything, I'm not smiling that people lost their jobs. There isn't an emoticon that nods its head without smiling, though, and I agree with the above statements.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #21
EMAW_KSU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioNate View Post

I think they could have negated w/out a strike but they were asked to make huge concessions. Staff reduction (30+%) huge pay cut (I've read 8%), benefit reduction, pension freeze. Realistically, if your family depended on your income how many could live with those cuts?

and now a 100% reduction.
EMAW_KSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #22
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Well it is better then nothing until I found another job!
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #23
rgf207
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAW_KSU View Post
You're right, 100% reduction. But if they gave in, what's to say that it would not get worse. You (collective you) can't always give in because every time you do, they get more powerful. At what point do you need to stand up for yourself. All companies do is try to reduce, reduce reduce to make higher profits. The more you give in the more they reduce.

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #24
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But that is sacrificing the long term for the short term and it is always better to think long term. When your company is in trouble you have to make concessions or be willing to risk losing everything. It just is what it is.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #25
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You do what you have to do. You make changes to your life style.

Personnally, a 8% reduction in pay is a whole lot better than what they are going to get with unemployment. That will be more like a 60 to 80% pay cut. A benefit reduction - insurance (?) - I would rather have to pay more than not have any, seeing as you don't have an employer sponcered plan any more.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #26
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAW_KSU

Yep. But if the company is in bankruptcy you can't tell me that this wasn't already the likely outcome. Hostess has been headed this way a long time.

I said that I think it should have been worked out, if possible w/out a strike. It sucks for all involved.

Workers are hoping that the brand will be sold & they will return to their jobs.

It was a no-win situation.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #27
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610 View Post
While you don't like to see people lose their jobs, sometimes they have no one but themselves to blame for that. As a company, Hostess was in trouble. The union workers knew that, but instead of working with Hostess to try and work out a deal that would help keep Hostess open and keep people in jobs, they didn't so now there are no jobs, instead of a number of jobs at a lesser wage.

I just don't get why people have a hard time understanding, a little of something is a whole lot better than nothing.
Yup, the Teamsters recognized the issues & agreed to the wage cuts, but the baker's union wouldn't. Now they're all unemployed. My instinct is they will emerge from bankrupcy with an all non-union staff making less than half of what they made before. Those 17% cuts don't look so bad now
Old 11-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #28
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgf207 View Post
You're right, 100% reduction. But if they gave in, what's to say that it would not get worse. You (collective you) can't always give in because every time you do, they get more powerful. At what point do you need to stand up for yourself. All companies do is try to reduce, reduce reduce to make higher profits. The more you give in the more they reduce.
That's absolutely the stance to take with a healthy employer rolling in profits. It's the wrong stance to take with a company in bankrupcy. The correct stance is to suck it up, take the concessions, and sharpen your resume while you search for a better place to work.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #29
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610

You do what you have to do. You make changes to your life style.

Personnally, a 8% reduction in pay is a whole lot better than what they are going to get with unemployment. That will be more like a 60 to 80% pay cut. A benefit reduction - insurance (?) - I would rather have to pay more than not have any, seeing as you don't have an employer sponcered plan any more.
So would I but they saw differently. I never said the union was right. I think it was a no-win situation for all.

It's ok to have compassion & feel badly for people out of work.

Not that it matters much to me, I don't buy their products.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #30
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

I'm not crazy about Hostess products. But I do always buy a box of cupcakes for my daughter to keep in her class. She has a nut allergy so she can't eat birthday treats that the other kids bring in. I guess she's going to be eating a lot of Rice Krispie Treats.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: