Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #211
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Don't know what you got till its gone I guess. Everybody wants to gripe and complain about how terrible a company or CEO is until they don't have one to gripe about. Then you start thinking "man, wish I had someone willing to write me a paycheck".

I own a small business and I know first hand how ungreatful workers can be. Even when you do sacrifice in hard times. As soon as you are becoming prosperous the minute you stick your hand in the till to claim what you deserve as the business owner and risk taker you get a dirty look from everyone. There are so few people that say "hey she owns this place she can do that". Most people rip me apart as greedy and say "we'll we deserve more!"

No you don't. Period. You dropped out of high school, got your GED and now you're on a factory line. You don't deserve NEARLY the amount of money the top guys earn. If you did everyone would be dropping out of school. What would be the incentive to EVER work harder to better your life? Want a piece of the pie? Work for it.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #212
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis View Post
I just thought of a great business idea for some of those soon to be unemployed but motivated bakers. How about a company that creates retro snacks that have REAL ingredients? Twinkies with real ingredients, preservative free and called something else. Cupcakes, zingers, etc. They can all look like them and taste the way they USED to taste in the 70's. As long as they came up with a new name, no problem with legal issues.

Whole foods I'm sure would stock these and they could be bought for premium -- there are people out there that would buy them, trust me. Maybe not a lot of budget minded people but those who are willing to spend money on real food.

I would buy it! Food is one thing we don't really have a budget for we live in area when most of the year there are tons of farmers markets with fresh fruits and veggies so I rarely buy any of that in the store. We also only buy meat from a butcher and only hormone free and grass fed. Heck I spend 10 bucks a week on a gallon a fresh apple cider. Like I said we try to eat healthy heavy protein veggie meals but I don't deny my children treats. HFCS is small amounts is not going to kill them at least I hope not!
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #213
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy View Post
He runs a major company what do you expect!! It could be anyone of us if that was the path in life we had taken. Would you be equally as appalled if this were you or a family member? All this faux outrage is so silly when not a single one of us would turn that type of money down simply based on principle.
Somehow I doubt there'd be that much outrage from someone if they were the more successful ones, or their children were.........
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #214
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Being unemployed doesn't mean the person/s have or will ever have any need for social welfare programs.

And you do not pay one single cent of tax or any other money for or towards any displaced worker's/workers' unemployment compensation.
really? Exactly where does that money come from? unemployment insurance is a tax, paid for ultimately by workers and consumers. It's a bit complicated so let's just look at the current federal benefits...

Paid for, 100% by taxpayers of every single state in the union.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #215
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
really? Exactly where does that money come from? unemployment insurance is a tax, paid for ultimately by workers and consumers. It's a bit complicated so let's just look at the current federal benefits...

Paid for, 100% by taxpayers of every single state in the union.
Unemployment insurance is 100% employer-paid. Has since the inception of the Federal Unemployment Tax Act in 1939. Before that there was nothing.

It's a cost of doing business.

Changing your complaint from "I as a taxpayer..." to "I as a consumer..." won't fly. There are many, many indirect costs that 'you the consumer' finance as the result of purchasing a product or availing yourself of a service, that 'you the taxpayer' don't.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #216
Pipkin
Mouseketeer

The parasites killed the HOSTess.
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #217
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
I doubt it. What bakery do you think made them?
Sara Lee bakes Walmarts rip off Twinkies. And they are unionized.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #218
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78 View Post
Don't know what you got till its gone I guess. Everybody wants to gripe and complain about how terrible a company or CEO is until they don't have one to gripe about. Then you start thinking "man, wish I had someone willing to write me a paycheck".

I own a small business and I know first hand how ungreatful workers can be. Even when you do sacrifice in hard times. As soon as you are becoming prosperous the minute you stick your hand in the till to claim what you deserve as the business owner and risk taker you get a dirty look from everyone. There are so few people that say "hey she owns this place she can do that". Most people rip me apart as greedy and say "we'll we deserve more!"

No you don't. Period. You dropped out of high school, got your GED and now you're on a factory line. You don't deserve NEARLY the amount of money the top guys earn. If you did everyone would be dropping out of school. What would be the incentive to EVER work harder to better your life? Want a piece of the pie? Work for it.
I think comparing a corporation to an indivdually owned business is comparing apples to oranges. I have no problem with an individual owner enjoying the fruits of his or her hard work, you are right, THEY have risked their own money, sometimes, even their own homes........but a corporate CEO isn't risking any of their own money, he is risking the money of stockholders, which is usually folks like you and I, and these days, often the employees of the corporation.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #219
Debbie7452
Aspires to be a Tag Fairy
Official Race Team Manager

Unemployment insurance is paid by employers, but the cost goes up astronomically if an unemployment claim is made and blamed on the company for whatever reason...(layoffs, etc.) If the company is already out of business that cost will be shifted to all the remaining companies in the state still paying into the system with a higher base tax rate. There is no free money pile laying around to pay these claims.
Debbie7452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #220
tvguy

I look at how things have changed in my mom's lifetime, she's 89, and I kind of think maybe the western world needs to reset it's priorities.

My mom grew up on a farm with no running water, no electricity, no telephone. My Grandfather actually used a horse to pull a plow and pull a combine to harvest his wheat crop. No tractors. They had a cow for milk, chickens for eggs, a vegetable garden than my Grandmother canned the vegetables from to eat in the winter, and bought only the things they couldn't grow or make themselves. They had everything they needed to survive.

Now, most Westerners expect to have a big screen TV, central heat and air, a nice car, a smart phone, and I know a few that actually can not cook and buy every meal prepared for them.....and few others that send all their laundry out rather than wash it themselves.

Our society created a lot of jobs than have for years actually paid more than the value of the work provided by the worker. A huge issue here right now in California are public sector jobs, some that allow you to work 30 years, retire with full medical benefits and a decent pension as young as 48. A lot of these folks are going to spend more of their lives retired than working. These situations have allowed people to buy more luxury items than the value of labor actually was worth. An issue in my community was a strike by grocery store clerks.....retirement was a big part of the strike, this is a private company where you can retire as young as 55 with full benefits and a pension.....but pay was a factor. Is dragging groceries across a scanner a skill actually worth $21 an hour 6 days a week, and $42 an hour on Sundays and Holidays?

Now the chickens are coming home to roost. Other nations are ramping up their industrial production as we are ramping ours down. They are doing it by paying wages that more than meet the cost of life necessities, but are a fraction of our inflated wages. This issue is frequently discussed over on the Cruise Line Forum......staff on cruise ships making very little by our standards......but that amount in a month is equal to what they could earn in a year at home.
So I suspect we're all going to have to scale back on our toys, and most of us will fight it. But what's more important, that smart phone, or feeding and clothing your family.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #221
nephthys43
DIS Veteran

just my 2 cents... i haven't eaten a twinkie since probably 1984 or so. i don't like them. But my fruit pies!!! i'll miss them sooooo much!

july 1980 - first trip (cried when i met the three little pigs) - offsite / march 1987 - offsite / march 1991 - offsite / august 1996 - offsite / march 2005 - offsite - celebration / march 2006 - offsite - celebration december 2006 - CBR / december 2007 - sports / december 2009 - offsite - celebration / august 2010 - POP
nephthys43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #222
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Sara Lee bakes Walmarts rip off Twinkies. And they are unionized.
Yeah but to buy them you'd have to shop at Walmart, which the term anti-union doesn't even begin to cover.

Quote:
I look at how things have changed in my mom's lifetime, she's 89, and I kind of think maybe the western world needs to reset it's priorities.

My mom grew up on a farm with no running water, no electricity, no telephone. My Grandfather actually used a horse to pull a plow and pull a combine to harvest his wheat crop. No tractors. They had a cow for milk, chickens for eggs, a vegetable garden than my Grandmother canned the vegetables from to eat in the winter, and bought only the things they couldn't grow or make themselves. They had everything they needed to survive.

Now, most Westerners expect to have a big screen TV, central heat and air, a nice car, a smart phone, and I know a few that actually can not cook and buy every meal prepared for them.....and few others that send all their laundry out rather than wash it themselves.
Again, I think this is geography more than chronology.

There are still people that live like this, or close to this.

My grandma, older than that, didn't grow up or live anything like that. The only things she ever grew were decorative potted plants. Never canned a thing. Sent her laundry out all the time, etc.

Yes, life and technology changes but this idyllic farmy life is specific to place more than time and I don't think it's at all reflective of values, but just of happenstance of lifestyle.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #223
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys43 View Post
just my 2 cents... i haven't eaten a twinkie since probably 1984 or so. i don't like them. But my fruit pies!!! i'll miss them sooooo much!

I used to love them, too. Haven't had one in years. I might try this recipe sometime, though:

http://www.thecookingphotographer.co...fruit-pie.html

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #224
tvguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Yeah but to buy them you'd have to shop at Walmart, which the term anti-union doesn't even begin to cover.
As a West coaster, Walmart is a relatively new option in my life. I go into a Walmart, I go into a clean, well lit store, and there are employees on every aisle working, and if I look confused they ask if they can help. They look happy to be there. When I go to the biggest chain in the area, which is the only store still ahead of Walmart in total sales here, I go into a dirty, dark store and I see unhappy employees.
Walmart has been a godsend to the unemployed here, especially those with disabilities.
As my wife nephew discovered after 10 years at Walmart, he quit and moved to a union job in a chain, Walmart pays less per hour, but they reward you with profit sharing in the form of stock. His paychecks are bigger now, but at the end of the year, his total compensation is about $5,000 less.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #225
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipkin View Post
The parasites killed the HOSTess.
Without the "parasites", as you so eloquently call the backbone of this country, there would be no "HOSTess".
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: