Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

Can anything be done for my tooth?

I had a root canal on this molar about 6 yrs ago. It didn't last - maybe a year or so before it broke. SOOOO I have 1/2 a tooth there. It has been fine all these years - no pain - nothing. My dentist (a different one than did the rootcanal) was surprised it wasn't bothering me - but all was just fine until recently.

Now it bothers me- I thought it was just sore in the gum from eating on that side - nuts - things too hard to eat there.

BUT I've stuck my finger in there to check it out & it (GULP!) wiggles! Can the dentist save it (ya know with super glue or something) or will it have to be pulled do you think?

The original dentist said they wanted to do an implant - but when I heard the price & what they do (PAIN!) I declined & we just went with the root canal, I guess he knew it wouldn't last...I'm afraid that's what is gonna need to be done...but I'm hoping to delay it if I can...

Now I know why my grandfather had all his teeth pulled out! The $$$$!
luvmyfam444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
sommergirl25
Mouseketeer

Unfortunately, no. Sounds like you would have to have it removed. There are different options to replace a tooth though. Hope you can get it worked out and feel better soon
sommergirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
chris1gill

But you know I'm thinking (scary enough)

After your root canal while the tooth was still intact, why didn't you get a crown? They are much less than an implant? At this point you will have to see if a crown is still a possibility, otherwise it's an implant or nothing.... I'm sorry, we've had extensive dental bills for one of our kids this year so I feel your pain.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Nik's Mom
Karl Pilkington is a genius

I've had a dental implant. Honestly, the pain isn't bad. I just took Alieve after the procedure. It only hurts for the first day. It is expensive, but so worth it.

Proud Mom to 2 boys, and wife to a great husband!
Nik's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

My situation was teeth with a lifetime of fillings and refillings, and a severely cracked tooth in the middle. The choice was an implant, or a permanent bridge. I chose the bridge. The bad tooth was removed. Crowns were made for the teeth on either side of the removed tooth. A false tooth was made for the removed tooth, and attached to the crowns. So the 3 "teeth" went in as one piece, and the false tooth just rests on the gums. I've had it for awhile now, and it looks very natural. Bonus is that I have 3 teeth in a row that look "filling-free" and much more attractive than one good looking implanted tooth next to other teeth that show years of silver fillings. I have dental insurance, which helped. You want to try to save your teeth and not have them removed. I have 2 older neighbors with false teeth, and they never wear them. It's not a pretty sight. Invest in yourself.
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the replies! I'm avoiding the inevitable...I'll suck it up eventually & go to the dentist again.
luvmyfam444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
castmemberb4
DIS Veteran

I'm the Office Manager for a Dentist and the PP who said you should have had a crown right after your root canal is correct. After a root canal the tooth is basically dead and will become brittle and eventually break. Which is what happened to you. A crown reinforces the tooth and keeps it from breaking. If there is not too much tooth structure missing you may still be able to get a crown which is your best and cheapest choice at this point. If the tooth has to be extracted you want to replace it with something, if there is a intact tooth on either side you can do a bridge, if not then an implant is your only choice, UNLESS you have other teeth missing then a removable partial may be better to replace all of them.
I'm wondering why your former dentist recommended an implant after your root canal, Or was that after the tooth broke? Maybe I'm not clear on that, but if you're doing an implant you have to extract the tooth and therefore a root canal is not necessary.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: