Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
ambr1377
Earning My Ears

Riding with a spica cast

My 2 year old is getting a spica cast for hip displaysia correction in January. My question is: Does Disneyland have any rules about riding rides with casts? It will be from the chest down her left leg. My 10 and 5 year olds are very concerned she wont be able to do anything. She isnt tall enough for the fast rides anyway. So, we're talking Peter Pan and Dumbo type rides. Anyone have any insight on this?
ambr1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambr1377 View Post
My 2 year old is getting a spica cast for hip displaysia correction in January. My question is: Does Disneyland have any rules about riding rides with casts? It will be from the chest down her left leg. My 10 and 5 year olds are very concerned she wont be able to do anything. She isnt tall enough for the fast rides anyway. So, we're talking Peter Pan and Dumbo type rides. Anyone have any insight on this?
I have gone on attractions with casts on and no one said anything to me. I am not familiar with a spica cast, but will her leg be extended out? I am just trying to think if her leg is extended, will she fit on seats that are designed for a bent leg?
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
First of all, I'm sorry your daughter will be in the cast. It is not the end of the world, but it sure is a pain. It will hold her leg(s) out at a weird angle. She may not fit in her stroller anymore. I found an umbrella stroller was more comfortable, but still not a great fit. I also used a soft sling to help hold my girl.

Finding a way to sit at meals will be a challenge because she won't be able to sit up- the best way to explain it is to put a piece of tape on you, from your chest down your leg- now pretend it is solid and can't bend- you will lean not sit. Does that make sense? My daughter was in it from month 2 thru month 10 though so there will be differences in our experiences. She will not be able to bend at the waist and will not fit well into any rides that use a lap restraint. I would call customer service at Disney and ask some very specific questions. The chances are likely that she will be unable to do many things- prepare the older kids that it may be that they only ride with mom or dad, not both because someone has to stay with sister. Be prepared for her to be uncomfortable and not understand why she can't go with the older kids. I wish you all the best.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Check with the surgeon placing the cast. Our doc here tells the parents "Now remember no trips to disney. There will be time for that after the cast is off".

How will you be getting to Disney? By car? At 2 years of age she may very well have to ride in the car laying longways on the vehicle seat in a EZ on vest taking up 2 or 3 seating positions. If she is able to fit in the HIPPO car seat (seat made for the spica casts) that would be great for car travel if you have an SUV or van.

By plane? She would be required to have her own seat on the plane and since she won't be able to bend at the waist that means she would have to be in the HIPPO car seat in the plane seat and unfortunately these seats do not have enough leg clearance to be used forward facing on the airplane.

Now if she is tiny for a 2 year old and can be rear facing (legroom is the problem rear facing) then that changes transportaion somewhat. I can tell you that our doc here recommends travel only to and from the doctors office until the cast is off.

Can you tell we have been through this before.

Would it be possible to delay one of these? Delay surgery until after the disney trip OR delay the disney trip until after the cast is off?

Whatever you do I hope both experiences are magical for you and you children.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

Oh I am glad you thought about the travel part- I had completely forgot how difficult the car seat issue was. I actually thought about this question last night- in all honesty there is no way I would take a 2 year old in a spica cast to Disneyland. The more I remembered about just how much we had to adapt the more I thought it wouldn't be worth it. You don't say where you are coming from or how long the trip is supposed to be, but I would start thinking about alternatives... your daughter is so young, can she stay with Grandma or someone else? Like indygirl said, can you get cast after trip? One or two more weeks won't make a difference in her hip displaysia...

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
ambr1377
Earning My Ears

We are in San diego, so we would be driving. We have an SUV, so room in the car wouldnt be an issue. Her surgery is scheduled for Jan 15 2013. We wanted to go to Disney Feb 26-mar 1, as to use the Costco passes. It would still be the off season then and that is when we like to go (who doesn't?). She needs this surgery asap, her condition is severe and I don't want to delay it any further. It would be 6 weeks after surgery. But, 4 days at Disney might be too much. I am definitely going to talk to her orthopedic, but I'm starting to think it would be too much for all of us and too risky. I dont want to risk redislocation. Also, I can't leave a 2 year old in a spica cast for 4 days with grandma, that is a lot of care and I would feel guilty the whole time and prob wouldn't enjoy the trip at all. I guess I'm going to look for a disney deal for 2014...when it gets here. Thank you everyone, I appreciate your responses greatly.
ambr1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are in San diego, so we would be driving. We have an SUV, so room in the car wouldnt be an issue. Her surgery is scheduled for Jan 15 2013. We wanted to go to Disney Feb 26-mar 1, as to use the Costco passes. It would still be the off season then and that is when we like to go (who doesn't?). She needs this surgery asap, her condition is severe and I don't want to delay it any further. It would be 6 weeks after surgery. But, 4 days at Disney might be too much. I am definitely going to talk to her orthopedic, but I'm starting to think it would be too much for all of us and too risky. I dont want to risk redislocation. Also, I can't leave a 2 year old in a spica cast for 4 days with grandma, that is a lot of care and I would feel guilty the whole time and prob wouldn't enjoy the trip at all. I guess I'm going to look for a disney deal for 2014...when it gets here. Thank you everyone, I appreciate your responses greatly.
What about a long weekend next September. Still nice weather, off season so crowds are much less and park is not yet crazy with halloween.

DH and I went the tuesday after labor day (stayed 8 days) and walked on many rides. Got to eat where we wanted without crazy wait times. Saw the shows we wanted without waiting forever in lines.

Sending and much patience your way for your DD surgery and casting. It will be the longest 2 months of your life but when it is time to get the cast off you will wonder where the time flew to.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

and after your daughter gets her cast- come back and let us know how you are doing- we send our to you and your daughter- you all will get thru this just fine!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: