Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtm610 View Post
This past week we celebrated my granddaughter's 5th birthday. She had a birthday celebration button on all day. Several people offered their good wishes. She loved it!
We made dinner reservations online. I said we were celebrating her 5th birthday on the online reservation form.
We went to dinner at Yachtsmans. We arrived 15 minutes early. We waited 1 hour and 5 minutes for our ADR. I spoke to the hostess about the delay , told her we were celebrating a birthday.....I spoke to the manager, told him how distressed I was about the wait as we were celebrating a birthday. I told our server we were celebrating a birthday. My granddaughter had on her birthday pin. We heard and saw 2 other groups singing and celebrating birthdays. We ordered desert. Nothing was ever said about the birthday. I asked the server if we could get a candle for her desert. "of course" Guess what came instead? Our check. We spent more than $400 and couldn't even get a candle to celebrate a 5 year olds birthday!
If you wanted to celebrate then order a cake and sing to her yourself.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #17
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
If you wanted to celebrate then order a cake and sing to her yourself.
OP said they did order desserts....they asked for a candle for the FIVE year old's birthday and the server never bothered to bring it out. It's like the OP said, Disney has been telling us to "Come Celebrate" for over 2 years now, so when you bring your child to do just that it's not unrealistic to expect a "happy birthday!" and a candle. Disney brings much of the "expectation" on themselves, if the CM's are sick of it they shouldn't take it out on the guest.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #18
monkistan
Mouseketeer

i'm kind of amazed here at all of the negativity. if i go to any old restaurant and tell them it's my dad's birthday, or sister's bday, or whoever, and then order a dessert, i expect a candle. i've actually never been somewhere where that didnt' happen.

i don't think it's too much to assume that disney would do the same. i don't think the OP was whining about not getting free stuff. it was about alerting the CM of the kid's bday, ordering a cake, asking for a candle and not getting it.

that's just bad customer service all around. if you think it's a sign of people wanting something for nothing, i think you've missed the point.
monkistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #19
Sweetpeamd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkistan View Post
i'm kind of amazed here at all of the negativity. if i go to any old restaurant and tell them it's my dad's birthday, or sister's bday, or whoever, and then order a dessert, i expect a candle. i've actually never been somewhere where that didnt' happen.

i don't think it's too much to assume that disney would do the same. i don't think the OP was whining about not getting free stuff. it was about alerting the CM of the kid's bday, ordering a cake, asking for a candle and not getting it.

that's just bad customer service all around. if you think it's a sign of people wanting something for nothing, i think you've missed the point.
I agree. They received bad customer service. We just returned from a week long trip and we were amazed at how poor the service was at our table service meals. We are a party of 6 so the tip is almost always automatically added, maybe that has something to do with it? None of our service was as bad as that which the OP faced, but we were disappointed. Our drinks were slow to be refilled, if they were refilled at all. The waitstaff was not as friendly or attentive as we have experienced in the past. Nothing worth reporting to management in any of the cases, just disappointing. Actually, we have been noticing a decline over our past several trips. We are planning a trip for Spring 2013 and we will not be using the DDP for the first time in years. We are going to try eating mostly counter service. We are tired of paying 18% gratuity for sub-par service.

[COLOR="Magenta"]1977-2007 Off Property Visits [COLOR="Lime"]2008 Beach Club [COLOR="Magenta"]2009 Beach Club [COLOR="Lime"]2010 Beach Club Villas[COLOR="Magenta"] 2010 Saratoga Springs 2011 Saratoga Springs2011 BLT 2012 OKW 2012 BLT

Me DH DS12
DD10 DS8 DD6
Sweetpeamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #20
Figment2101
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtm610 View Post
This past week we celebrated my granddaughter's 5th birthday. She had a birthday celebration button on all day. Several people offered their good wishes. She loved it!
We made dinner reservations online. I said we were celebrating her 5th birthday on the online reservation form.
We went to dinner at Yachtsmans. We arrived 15 minutes early. We waited 1 hour and 5 minutes for our ADR. I spoke to the hostess about the delay , told her we were celebrating a birthday.....I spoke to the manager, told him how distressed I was about the wait as we were celebrating a birthday. I told our server we were celebrating a birthday. My granddaughter had on her birthday pin. We heard and saw 2 other groups singing and celebrating birthdays. We ordered desert. Nothing was ever said about the birthday. I asked the server if we could get a candle for her desert. "of course" Guess what came instead? Our check. We spent more than $400 and couldn't even get a candle to celebrate a 5 year olds birthday!
I totally support you and are surprised by some of the non supportive replies. After all it is Disney that promotes 'celebrations' and you had mentioned the birthday celebration with your online reservation.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #21
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkistan View Post
I agree with it being bad customer service. Maybe I wasn't clear by what I meant. I don't mean the person in this particular post was looking for anything free. I meant that there is more and more of a culture of "this day is special because <whatever> so I want to be singled out and treated special". CMs see more and more of this and just get tired of it so when someone asks for something simple like a candle they are cynical and just assume they are looking for something for free. It may not be right but because so many guests are greedy and looking for it the rest of us that are normal are thrown into the same category.

I didn't mean the OP in this scenario was looking for anything free. I just think we should all go down, realize we are no more or less special than every other guest there, and if we are lucky enough to get a little extra pixie dust from a CM be grateful. That's all I meant. Some of my first post was more in response to the title of the thread than the specific scenario. It is your celebration, not Disney's. Celebrate it yourself and don't care if Disney ignores it.

Last edited by FireDancer; 11-16-2012 at 07:27 PM.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #22
Tissa
DIS Veteran

One year for my ds's birthday he had a birthday button on and a special shirt and never got a happy birthday, didn't get acknowledged at dinner although I mentioned it when making the reservation. I was a little bummed but he was so happy about being there that it didn't really matter in the end.

Next year no button but we did eat at Yachtsman and I did mention it was his birthday when making the reservation and he not only got a special dessert but also a personalized menu and a card signed by Mickey and gang. Now that was special. That was 3 years ago though.

To the op, they should have at least given you a candle. Guess I will bring some in my pocket for ds's next birthday just in case.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #23
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

You had me at $400.00
Old 11-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #24
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
I agree with it being bad customer service. Maybe I wasn't clear by what I meant. I don't mean the person in this particular post was looking for anything free. I meant that there is more and more of a culture of "this day is special because <whatever> so I want to be singled out and treated special". CMs see more and more of this and just get tired of it so when someone asks for something simple like a candle they are cynical and just assume they are looking for something for free. It may not be right but because so many guests are greedy and looking for it the rest of us that are normal are thrown into the same category.

I didn't mean the OP in this scenario was looking for anything free. I just think we should all go down, realize we are no more or less special than every other guest there, and if we are lucky enough to get a little extra pixie dust from a CM be grateful. That's all I meant. Some of my first post was more in response to the title of the thread than the specific scenario. It is your celebration, not Disney's. Celebrate it yourself and don't care if Disney ignores it.
I get your point Frank, but at the same time the CM's are working in a place where people go to celebrate things. Yeah, people are celebrating every little thing nowadays, but still it's like working at Chuck E. Cheese and complaining about all the birthday parties. Much like Kevin talks about Disney training their guests to complain to get what they want, Disney has fostered the "Come here to feel special" mentality. Yes, there are greedy guests, but there are also many, many guests who are really just happy with the candle.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #25
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post

You aren't being clear because as you admit, you are trying to make some point that is unrelated to the OP.
I agree with the OP's complaint. OP wasn't asking for or expecting pixie dust, OP asked for and expected the same treatment she would have received at Olive garden, Red Lobster, Buffalo Wild Wings, Ihop, or the dozens of other restaurants that are just outside the gates. Bringing your dessert and singing to you on your birthday is pretty much standard at most places and not something one should feel "lucky enough to get" especially at Disney. Do not forget that OP observed others in the restaurant being recognized. I don't think it ruined anything for OP but it is a valid complaint.
Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #26
pxlbarrel
They won't allow any kind of cow though
Geez, I gotta start cleaning your rooms so I can get those treats

I'm not going to comment about the lack of birthday celebration that the OP's server ignored but we ate at Yachtman's Steakhouse on that same Thursday. We ended up being 15 minutes late because we got stuck on the I4 during a traffic jam. We got seated right away .... BUT that was the end of good service. We waited 30 minutes for our server to reappear to remove our entre plates, 15 minutes before she came back with a dessert menu and so on and so on and so on. Our server was pleasant enough but was terrible. The table next to us, with a different server, were seated way after us and had dessert before we even had our dessert menu.

I'm just wondering if they had a really bad night that Thursday or is this the norm?
1975 WDW Fort Wilderness | 1983 Disneyland | 1992 WDW Offsite | 1996 Disneyland (DL Pacific Hotel)| 1999 Disneyland | 2000 WDW Dixie Landings | 2002 Disneyland | 2003 WDW Offsite | 2004 Disneyland | 2005 WDW Offsite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 Tokyo Disneyland /Disney Sea / HK Disneyland (Disney's Hollywood Hotel) | 2008 Disneyland | 2008 WDW Offsite | 2009 Disneyland Paris | 2009 Disneyland | 2009 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - DCL Disney Magic | 2011 Disneyland | 2011 Disney Magic Mediterranean | 2012 Disneyland (VGC) | 2012 ABD -Enchanted China | 2012 HK Disneyland | 2012 DCL Disney Magic NYC/Canada | 2012 WDW Boardwalk | 2013 Disneyland | 2013 Disney Magic Mediterranean Greek | 2013 Disney Dream Bahamas | 2014 Disneyland (VGC)
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:37 AM   #27
fall08CP
Cheesehead

I worked at a Disney deluxe back in 08, and I ALWAYS asked what the guest was celebrating (and this was before the celebrate promotion). Even if it was just "getting away from home", I'd blow up balloons and give stickers to every kid. For any special celebrations, I'd make a note to send a card off to the characters to autograph, then have it delivered on their special day.

Fast forward 2 years, after working in attractions, I returned for a short stint back at the hotel. I was informed that they no longer delivered celebration cards because guests were becoming irate if they didn't receive the character they wanted. It broke my heart that a few greedy guests ruined it for everyone.

Nonetheless, you saw guests being treated well at other tables during your dinner, so it's not like it had be discontinued. Did you have the same server as those tables? Maybe it just slipped his/her mind?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #28
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

My first trip to WDW was back in '99. We were there, celebrating my dd's 6th birthday..actually on her birthday. At CP, our table was decorated with Disney glitter, a card was there, signed by the characters. AFter the meal, a cupcake was delivered, with a candle, and dd was sung to. That was it for the entire trip.
I celebrated my 50th there...no big deal was made, although we made note of the birthday for all ADRs since they ask what you are celebrating.
Then, when my dd went with her friend, to celebrate their turning 13, within three days of each other, not much was done. We did manage to get a stage side table at HDDR...so when they asked who was celebrating a birthday, my dd got to stand up and get a ton of attention, but that was only due to our proximity to the stage.
At other restaurants, the girls got special placemats and a few cupcakes. They both wore special teeshirts I had made for them, as well as birthday buttons.
I decided, that based on previous experiences, I would provide my own 'magic'...so booked a lunch at Grand Floridian Cafe, with a very special birthday cake to be presented. That cake was beautiful and set me back about $100 but it was worth it. The server got the whole place singing to my dd!!!
I also bought a Lenox Mickey Mouse holding a birthday cake that I gave dd when she woke up on her birthday.

I still maintain that if you want something special to happen, you need to provide it yourself. It's the only surefire way to get what you want.

Now, to have that kind of service at Yachtsman??? Not acceptable at all. I have eaten there several times, and no more!!! I have yet to have a meal there that is worth the money I have paid!!! And to have to wait more than 30 mins is unacceptable. And to think that they couldn't remember to bring out a candle??? As my f-i-l used to say...'Very poor'.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #29
mjtm610
Mouseketeer

I think my disappointment came from the fact that
1-Disney advertises to come "celebrate with them"
2-other people were getting the "celebration"
3-we DID provide everything except a candle.
4-my granddaughter was only 5. The other "celebrants" were adults. And she saw the celebrations going on.

We have been very fortunate to be able to go to WDW as often as we do. However, that's not the case for everyone. What I think about is the people/families that save us for YEARS to come to Disney. Disney markets to that dream. Is the attitude we experienced at the Yachsman what people are finding when they come on their "dream celebration"?
We were at WDW for almost 3 weeks (not with the whole family- they only came down for a long week-end) After the rest of the family left we stopped eating on property. We found the service, the food, the attitude to be really poor! I can spend my money somewhere else.
Not that Disney notices! HaHa I'm sure we weren't missed!
mjtm610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #30
SoScary'09
Has Friends on the Other Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapwhitey View Post
I have been to WDW for many celebrations, (wedding/honeymoon, anniversary, birthdays....you name it). We have sometimes worn celebration pins and other times not. We never expect anything from Disney. We have been surprised on occasion with a special little treat and some congratulatory remarks but it is never expected. We are of the mind that just being able to be in WDW for a celebration is special enough.

I can understand someone hoping for a little something, especially for a young child but I don't feel it is a situation that should cause anger or a complaint to be lodged. I can speak from my own experiences that it's not the "happy birthday or congratulation" comments that stay with my memory it's the time spent there with family and friends.

I get being a little disappointed but I wouldn't let it skew your memories. Ultimately you got to see a friend or family member spend a birthday, anniversay, etc. in the coolest place on earth.
Well said!

Halloween '09:-CR Halloween '11:-Poly Halloween '13-BC March '14: First DL Trip
SoScary'09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: