Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
rlilly79
Mouseketeer

discovery cove at christmas

Hi all, i am really torn about doing discovery cove rhe week after Christmas... we have never been and I am concerned after paying all that money that our experience will be less than great due to cokd water/weather... has anyone has any experience with this? Is the water heated or warm? Thanks, any help is appreciated!
rlilly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Krystalynn
Mouseketeer

I believe they keep the water temp for the dolphin, fish, and stingray pools at 77F and then the other pools, including the lazy river, are in the 80s. Discovery Cove is such an awesome place and I am sure you will all have an amazing time

Krystalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

If you choose to do the dolphin swim, that water will be the coldest in the park with a water temp in the low 70's. The good thing is, the dolphin interaction is so interesting and engaging (and fun!) that you tend to forget about the cooler water quite quickly because your attention is elsewhere .

The Grand Reef is the second coolest. The Fresh Water Oasis and Lazy River are the warmest (think bathwater warm.....its awesome).

From the DC website:

Water Temperature
The temperature of our pools remains constant throughout the year. The fresh water Serenity Bay and Wind-away River are maintained around 85-88 F (30 C). The salt water dolphin pools maintained around 72 F, and The Grand Reef are 77 F (25 C).

We went last year around the same time (our visit was on New Years Day) and we had a gorgeous day with air temps in the low 80's and sunshine. Now, being winter, it took a while to warm up to that temperature and the morning was quite cool. The wetsuits helped alot and there were heaters scattered throughout the dining area that you could dry off and warm up in a hurry if need be.

Despite it being January, it got nice enough for us to do this in the afternoon:

Just another reason why I love Florida!!!

I wouldn't hesitate to go in the winter again. I would, however, be sure to have a "plan B" to be able to switch to an alternate day (pending availability, of course) should the area experience a brief cold snap on the date we had planned to visit.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: