Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
refnat
Earning My Ears

4 Adults + 3 Little Ones

We are looking to go to WDW in early 2013. We are two 15 month olds, one almost 3 year old, husband+wife, and grandparents. Our dilema is where to stay? We want to be close to the magic kingdom since that is where we will probably spend all our time and a kitchen to make at least breakfast are rated high on the list.

The cabins at fort wilderness is what is being pushed for by the grandparents. The older folks (coupled) each get a double bed, 3 year old on a bunk bed, and each baby in a pack n play. Is there even enough room for 2 pack n plays?
The a two bedroom villa at the wilderness lodge would be great but gets expensive.
The one bedroom villa in the bay lake tower at the contemporary would be grandparents in king bed, parents in sleeper sofa, 3 year old on sleeper chair and each baby in a pack n play. Down side is not much to the kitchen.

Anyone traveled with such a group and have advice?
refnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

The one bedroom at Bay Lake Tower has a full kitchen

Apr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
Maria1985
Mouseketeer

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment;not only about survival
Old 11-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
cvjw
DIS Veteran

I think you have too many people for the BLT 1 bedroom. I think occupancy is 5 plus one under the age of 3. If I am reading your post correctly, you have 7 in total - one person too many for a 1 bedroom. You would have to move to a 2 bedroom at BLT, which will be much more expensive.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Ft Wilderness is very spread out, and from the cabins you'd need a car to get around the resort. Many people rent golf carts.
I'm also not a fan of having to sleep on a pull out in the living room with 3 kids!
So I'd prob pic a 2 bdrm villa. Check out David's Vacation Rentals. Many people have been happy booking from him. The only thing about renting points is that you have to be sure about dates.

Your other option is to book 2 regular rooms. You won't get a kitchen for breakfast, but WL gift shop has many grocery items, so you could buy milk and cereal for breakfast and have it in your room. And pack some instant oatmeal packets, use hot water from coffee machine. I've done this, and just threw in some disposable plastic bowls in my luggage.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I second Sue's idea. I think that is your best option to get two rooms at a resort close to MK; WL would also be my pick and request them to be at least adjoining, if not connecting.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
refnat
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw View Post
I think you have too many people for the BLT 1 bedroom. I think occupancy is 5 plus one under the age of 3.
We are 4 adults and 3 under 3. Technically 7- so will the listed occupancy of 5 exclude us from this room choice (if we booked it and shoewd up will they say "no") or is the occupancy number more of a recomendation?
refnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
melissac
DIS Veteran

What about going to the rent/trade boards under DVC heading(disboards) and look at renting points. Depending when you go it is more resonable to rent points for a 2 bedroom then paying for 2 rooms.

For example: Most points run $10-$15. If you rent a OKW low season for 1 week sat-sat 2BR is 217 points.

I have never rented points but have sold points and it is a very easy process.

Just a thought.

Offsite 1978, DL offsite 1991 NYE, WDW offsite 1995, CBC and DC 2001, POFQ 2006, Purchased DVC 2006, OKW May 2007, CBC Dec. 2007, SSR Jan. 2008,OKW Oct 2008, AS Movies Jan 2009, HRH & THV Oct 2009, BWV Sept 2010, RPR, SSR & OKW Jan 2011, OKW & DLR Dec 2012, OKW Oct 2013
melissac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
shaynar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnat View Post
We are 4 adults and 3 under 3. Technically 7- so will the listed occupancy of 5 exclude us from this room choice (if we booked it and shoewd up will they say "no") or is the occupancy number more of a recomendation?
Yes you are "technically 7, but in terms of rooms you are 6 + 1 under 3. ou can only count one of your 15 months old kids.

A 1 br at BLT will fit 5 plus one under 3, not 2.

Too many than I can remember.....
Latest: 09/2008 Honeymoon @ Poly, 10/2010 First "family trip" @ WL, 01/2012 Bringing Baby #2 @ Kidani, 01/2013 @ BCV/VWL and 1/2014 @ VWL !!!!
shaynar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
kathie859
DIS Veteran

OP, I'm the Grandma of our troupe which includes Grandpa, our DD/DSIL and 3 grandkids (9,6,4). We've taken 3 trips with them. Once at a condo at Windsor Hills, once in a 5 bedroom house with a pool at WH and, most recently, in 2 rooms at the Poly CL. I ADORE my grands--but we really appreciate/NEED our separate space. At the very least, you need 2 rooms or a 2 bedroom unit or else you'll all be ready to kill each other by the end of the trip. Whether you stay offsite or on site depends on your priorities and budget. When we stay offsite, one of us buys an AP (saves the parking fee) and gets a TIW card which gives us 20% off food and drinks at several locations. It's also opens you to any AP room discount, btw. You can book an AP discount room (s) without having the AP in hand. You'll just need to show it within a small window at checkin.
kathie859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
cvjw
DIS Veteran

I just tried to book a 1 bedroom at BLT for your travel party on the DVC member site, and it would not do it. You have too many people for a 1 bedroom. You will have to book a 2 bedroom at BLT, or 2 studios, or consider other resort options. FYI - the 2 bedrooms at BLT are wonderful - my favorite 2 bedrooms on property.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnat View Post
Room occupancy is based on local, state and national fire codes that were established for people exiting a building in case of a fire. It is based on the number of people who can enter the corridors and get down the stairs to exterior grade without loss of life. Elevators can not be used in case of fire, because they are shafts which could spread the fire floor to floor, so they are shut down.

The reason you can count one child under the age of three is because most likely one parent will be carrying that infant and will not be taking up actual walkway space. However, the second must still be counted towards occupancy because two parents carrying children will be taking up more room trying to exit. In that case, the second infant would be counted.

If you booked a room and checked in over the occupancy for that room, you will be asked to leave and your reservation would be terminated.

Hope that helps! I am an architect and a construction manager, so I work with this all the time.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
amym2
DIS Veteran

Have you considered a family suite at AoA? They will hold 6 plus a child under 3 and have a kitchen. Personally I couldn't stay that close to the grandparents, I'd prefer some space, but you could manage if you had to. We've survived breakfast with just a mini-fridge... cereal, granola bars, etc. I'm pretty sure most of the resorts have a microwave you can use in the QS dining area (I know WL and POR have them).

I agree- look into renting points and getting a 2 bedroom. We joined DVC last year and wow, does staying in the villas make a difference.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

I would want to stay at AoA with that many people. We just stayed there with 4 adults and a 3 year. With luggage, stroller, etc it wasn't tight but it wasn't super roomy.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
Eeyore's Wife
DIS Veteran

I would suggest the family suite. Two bathrooms, bedroom for the grandparents, kitchenette.

Sorry you could not get the BLT one bedroom. We did that as a group of 5+baby and could have comfortably set up two pack and plays. Having laundry in the room with little ones is wonderful. The kitchen was perfect in the mornings!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: