Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Can I ask how you keep track of your intervals on C25K? I really want to get into it but have trouble listening to music and keeping track of the intervals at the same time. Is there a timekeeping app or something you use?
I use my phone. When I was doing C25K, I used the app. Now I use my own intervals via the Runkeeper app. Both let me listen to music at the same time. I use Pandora for my music.

No running for me today - yet. I'm running a 5K tonight. It goes through Dollywood at night with all the Christmas lights on. Should be fun, even if it will be cold. I'm a morning runner & this race doesn't start until 11 PM, about when I usually go to bed. I took a nap, so that will help.

MoonFaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
AuroraRosesMom
Yes, they named her after the dawn, for she filled their lives with sunshine.

Quote:
Can I ask how you keep track of your intervals on C25K? I really want to get into it but have trouble listening to music and keeping track of the intervals at the same time. Is there a timekeeping app or something you use?
I use an app on my phone. Initially, I downloaded a C25k app, or I thought it was... but it was not a good one. Then I found another app which I believe must be an official version, because it is much better. C25K Free by Zenlabs. I use spotify on my phone too. The c25k app can play music, but since I use spotify, I don't think that part works for me... Occasionally I do have to switch between the two apps while running, but it's not a big deal.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #18
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice View Post
I have a question...

I was looking at the results for the W&D 1/2 Marathon and I see that the "last place" finisher in my age bracket finished the race in just over 4 hours. If it is a 13.1 mile race and you are required to maintain a 16-minute mile pace, how does one finish the race in 4 hours? Wouldn't a 16-minute mile pace mean you have to finish in about 3.5 hours? Or is there a math component I am totally missing?
When I did the Everest Challenge 2 years ago, the pace requirements didn't start until the last person crossed the start line. As long as they weren't in the last corral they had wiggle room.

Oh, and I'm a non-runner runner. My kids are all runners so I didn't have any choice but to start running. I suck at it, but I still run.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #19
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I use Ease in 5K, by Bluefin. You can add music to the app but it has alerts that talk over the music telling you when to switch. It also has GPS capability so you know how far you've gone. I also like the journalling part, you can pick weather conditions, how you felt, outside or treadmill, and then add your time and mileage and it will calculate your pace.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #20
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

Mrs Tex and I are doing the couch to 5k, using an app on my phone. We spent about 5 weeks on week 1, and will be spending at least two weeks on week 2. We're the most non-runner runners you could meet. I'd love to try a 5k but ya gotta get up too early for races. So far we've found that it doesn't get any easier. We can just endure deeper misery.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Deaver Tex Mrs. Tex Tex Jr.

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #21
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaverTex View Post
Mrs Tex and I are doing the couch to 5k, using an app on my phone. We spent about 5 weeks on week 1, and will be spending at least two weeks on week 2. We're the most non-runner runners you could meet. I'd love to try a 5k but ya gotta get up too early for races. So far we've found that it doesn't get any easier. We can just endure deeper misery.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
It will get better and easier. I've done C25K about 3 times over the past 3 or 4 years. I, too, have repeated a week because I'm in no hurry, I just want to feel like I'm progressing well before I move on to a new week.

I think it is great you all are doing it together. I'd love to run with DH but he's so far along that me that there is no way. He could just run and run and run and run... He claims he does not enjoy it, no runner's high, but the man's got stamina for sure. Like the energizer bunny. Me? I'm tired, I stop, lol. Overcoming my head talk is far worse than my body at this point in my progress.

Keep up the good work!

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #22
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Where is everyone? Are you all out running?

I tried something new today...

When I started "training" for the 1/2 Marathon, I set my goal at a 14-minute mile pace. I have been fairly consistently running (any distance) at or below a 12:30 pace. So I decided to try something different. I did my 1/4 mile warm-up walk, but then I only ran 3/4 mile. I alternated a 1/4 mile walk with a 3/4 mile run for a total of 3 miles. (I have to work today and I ran out of time...otherwise I would have gone further) My first mile was 12:12, my second mile was 11:53 and my third mile was 11:26. This is the first time that I've gotten faster with each mile. I wasn't straining myself too bad either so I am looking forward to trying this pattern out on a longer run.

Hopefully, I will get a day within the next week when I can go out and try for 6-7 miles using this technique. I'm interested in seeing if I can do it and what kind of times I can turn in.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #23
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

I always walk during a run and my time usually stays about the same per mile. I must walk as fast a I run. Maybe faster! Doesn't seem to matter if I run 3 miles or 9 miles...I stay the same. Slow and steady, lol.

You are doing the Princess? Or the Wine and Dine? DO they have a download program for those races (once you have registered) like the January races do? It tells me what to run on what day--it started in September and takes me 1 week past the race.

Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #24
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

No running for me. I had a 5k on Friday night. I felt fine Sat, but Sun morning, my back was killing me. I did an easy 3 mile run with a friend, and by the time we were done, I was miserable. I've got a 10K Thursday morning that I'm hoping to still be able to run, so I skipped my second short run this week. I'm not pain free yet, but I'm feeling much better today. Fingers crossed that one more day of rest will be enough to get me through the race Thurs.

After finally finding the running groove about a month ago, the past 2 weeks have been a real struggle physically and mentally. I think I figured out why. Without even trying my average pace is now about a minute faster. I'm still really slow, but at least I'm moving in the right direction. I'm also comfortable saying, barring injury, I'll get through the Princess Half without getting swept, and I still have 3 more months of training.

MoonFaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #25
poohlover
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Buckalew11;46728343] Overcoming my head talk is far worse than my body at this point in my progress.

I so agree! My DS and I did a 5K on Sat morning, made my best time yet but I still had to stop and take a few walking breaks. My DS tells me if I can still breathe, I can still run. Yep, he motivates me! Made my best time yet!

It's getting so dark so early I haven't been able to run outside as much as I would like. How does everyone keep from getting bored running on the treadmill? Not looking forward to running on it all winter.
poohlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #26
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Congratulations to all for starting a new chapter in your book of life by becoming an athlete out to accomplish a goal, be it a 5K a half marathon a full marathon or beyond.

Quote:

When I started "training" for the 1/2 Marathon, I set my goal at a 14-minute mile pace. I have been fairly consistently running (any distance) at or below a 12:30 pace. So I decided to try something different. I did my 1/4 mile warm-up walk, but then I only ran 3/4 mile. I alternated a 1/4 mile walk with a 3/4 mile run for a total of 3 miles. (I have to work today and I ran out of time...otherwise I would have gone further) My first mile was 12:12, my second mile was 11:53 and my third mile was 11:26. This is the first time that I've gotten faster with each mile. I wasn't straining myself too bad either so I am looking forward to trying this pattern out on a longer run.

Hopefully, I will get a day within the next week when I can go out and try for 6-7 miles using this technique. I'm interested in seeing if I can do it and what kind of times I can turn in.
You have describe the Galloway Run/Walk Method that is used by many athletes. If you were to go to the W.I.S.H forum then Events/Competition threads you will find many posts about the Galloway Method. http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #27
timmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have a question...

I was looking at the results for the W&D 1/2 Marathon and I see that the "last place" finisher in my age bracket finished the race in just over 4 hours. If it is a 13.1 mile race and you are required to maintain a 16-minute mile pace, how does one finish the race in 4 hours? Wouldn't a 16-minute mile pace mean you have to finish in about 3.5 hours? Or is there a math component I am totally missing?
Just to answer this question, the pacing/cutoffs are based on when the last person crosses the starting line. So, anyone who starts before the last person, actually has a bit of extra time. Also, towards the end (last 2 miles or so maybe?) they no longer cut anyone off, again allowing an extra few minutes.
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #28
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm so mad at myself...it has been 8 days since I ran. It has been so cold (high's in the low 30's with wind) and I've been working so I kept using that as an excuse. Finally, today it was about 35 degrees but it was sunny and I did not have to work so no excuses.

I tried my "Walk 1/4, Run 3/4" technique and I am really not that impressed with myself. I did manage to go 7 miles which is 2 miles further than I have ever gone so that is a plus. OTOH, I never really felt "good" during the run. My legs got sore around mile 4 (which has never happened before) and I was really feeling dizzy and nauseous around mile 5. I took it a little easy on that mile (walked 0.35 and ran 0.65) and then I felt better, but still achy. My overall pace was 12:36/mile so that isn't too bad. I think I felt so lousy because it is cold and I had to wear a lot more clothing than I am used to wearing. I layered tights with yoga pants, then a long-sleeve running shirt under a short-sleeve running shirt, topped off with my compression running jacket. I also wore gloves and a headband. I never felt cold (thank goodness)...just really heavy! I felt like I was running in a snowsuit. All of my clothing is black so the sunshine helped keep me warm, despite the fact that it was 36 degrees with a mild breeze.

Overall, I am satisfied with my performance today. I can't say that I am happy with it because I know that I can do a lot better, but I am not disappointed either.

(My husband went out running today too and when he got back, I asked him how far he went and he said, "All total? Six miles"...HA!! I actually went further than he did for once.)

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #29
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Add me to the team!

Couch25k was wonderful for me; I have a serious love-hate relationship with running but it is so rewarding, even though I typically feel like I'm going to die before I get home.

Glad we all can support each other!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #30
Dr.Girlfriend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi! My name is Kristen and I am NOT a runner.

...but after reading about all of the fun events that RunDisney puts on, I decided back in August that I am going to start running. My first goal was to try and run in a Disney 5K race and finish it!

A little about me...I am a 38-year old paramedic who is a little out of shape. I was always very athletic in high-school but, due to bad knees, I was never able to run more than a mile. In fact, my doctor told me that I would "wreck my knees" if I ever ran more than a mile...so I didn't. I was afraid of "wrecking" my knees which could end my career so I avoided running. I'd ride my bicycle or use my elliptical for cardio exercise. Over the last 4 years, through dieting and exercise, I have slowly lost 35 pounds and kept it off. I am now at a respectable 157 pounds (I'm 5'7" and I have a "large" frame) but I'd like to drop another 5-10 more.

My husband (a police officer in his 40's) started running about 3 years ago. He has slowly been building his distances and now he runs about 5-7 miles at a time, on average. His longest run was just over 10 miles. I was motivated by how well he is doing so, back in August, I decided I would try running too.

I started out using a 10K training app which had me do a warm-up walk followed by intervals of 30 second runs and 60 second walks. Each day, the intervals increased, calling for more time running with less time walking in between. I followed that program for about 2 weeks and thought, "hey, this isn't so bad". I was never sore and my knees, hips and back were doing fine. Then, I tried to "free run"...I just wanted to see if I could run a mile. Nope! I made it about a half-mile before I had to revert to walking. I was disappointed, but I kept at it. I remember using the program and seeing, "run for 5 minutes" pop up. I thought, "OK, it's only 5 minutes...I can do it!" ...and I did. It was hard, but I pushed through. About a week later, I had to "run for 22 minutes"..."NO WAY", I thought...but I did it! According to my journal, on October 2, I was so overjoyed that I was able to run a full 1.75 miles without stopping.

DH bought me a Garmin Forerunner for my birthday. With an accurate way to monitor my distance, I dropped the 10K training program and started to try for distance instead of time. I have been slowly (sometimes not so slowly) increasing my distances. On October 21, I journaled that I made a personal best...2.5 miles! On November 6, I ran 3.5 miles!

That brings me to today...For the first time, I ran 5 miles. I'm not setting any land speed records, but I was able to do it in under an hour. I cannot believe that just three months ago, I was unable to run for more than 5 minutes and the thought of running 1, 2, 3 miles seemed completely unattainable. Today, I ran for 57 minutes and made it 5 miles. Now that I know I can do it, I have adjusted my goal. I am now going to try and "participate" in the 2013 Wine and Dine Half Marathon. Right now, my goal is simply to be able to keep pace and finish the race. I have no aspirations of running the entire 13.1 miles. Since I live in Michigan, I don't see myself running much once the snow starts to fall. That means I will be sticking to the elliptical for my winter-time cardio. I know I'll have to work to get back on track next spring and hopefully, we won't have a wicked-hot summer like this year.

So, are there any other "non-runners" out there that want to join me in trying to become a "runner"? Anyone else need a little kick in the pants for motivation?
Wine and Dine 2011 was my first race - any kind of a race. I've now run 5 1/2 marathons and 2 ten milers. I was not a runner by any means when I started training for the W&D last year. Here is my story if you want to read it.
Wine & Dine 1/2 - 2011 ~ WDW Marathon Relay - 2012 ~ Princess 1/2 - 2012 ~ Tower of Terror 10 Miler - 2012 ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 2012 ~ Goofy Challenge - 2013 ~ Tower of Terror 10 Miler – 2013 ~ Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5k - 2013 ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 – 2013 ~ Family Fun Run 5k - 2014 ~ Minnie Mouse - 10k 2014 ~ Donald 1/2 - 2014 ~ Castaway Cay 5k - 2014

UPCOMING:
Royal Family 5k - 2014 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge – 2014 ~ Everest Challenge 5k - 2014 ~ Dumbo Double Dare - 2014
Dr.Girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: