Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Any Other NON-Runners Trying to Become Runners???

Hi! My name is Kristen and I am NOT a runner.

...but after reading about all of the fun events that RunDisney puts on, I decided back in August that I am going to start running. My first goal was to try and run in a Disney 5K race and finish it!

A little about me...I am a 38-year old paramedic who is a little out of shape. I was always very athletic in high-school but, due to bad knees, I was never able to run more than a mile. In fact, my doctor told me that I would "wreck my knees" if I ever ran more than a mile...so I didn't. I was afraid of "wrecking" my knees which could end my career so I avoided running. I'd ride my bicycle or use my elliptical for cardio exercise. Over the last 4 years, through dieting and exercise, I have slowly lost 35 pounds and kept it off. I am now at a respectable 157 pounds (I'm 5'7" and I have a "large" frame) but I'd like to drop another 5-10 more.

My husband (a police officer in his 40's) started running about 3 years ago. He has slowly been building his distances and now he runs about 5-7 miles at a time, on average. His longest run was just over 10 miles. I was motivated by how well he is doing so, back in August, I decided I would try running too.

I started out using a 10K training app which had me do a warm-up walk followed by intervals of 30 second runs and 60 second walks. Each day, the intervals increased, calling for more time running with less time walking in between. I followed that program for about 2 weeks and thought, "hey, this isn't so bad". I was never sore and my knees, hips and back were doing fine. Then, I tried to "free run"...I just wanted to see if I could run a mile. Nope! I made it about a half-mile before I had to revert to walking. I was disappointed, but I kept at it. I remember using the program and seeing, "run for 5 minutes" pop up. I thought, "OK, it's only 5 minutes...I can do it!" ...and I did. It was hard, but I pushed through. About a week later, I had to "run for 22 minutes"..."NO WAY", I thought...but I did it! According to my journal, on October 2, I was so overjoyed that I was able to run a full 1.75 miles without stopping.

DH bought me a Garmin Forerunner for my birthday. With an accurate way to monitor my distance, I dropped the 10K training program and started to try for distance instead of time. I have been slowly (sometimes not so slowly) increasing my distances. On October 21, I journaled that I made a personal best...2.5 miles! On November 6, I ran 3.5 miles!

That brings me to today...For the first time, I ran 5 miles. I'm not setting any land speed records, but I was able to do it in under an hour. I cannot believe that just three months ago, I was unable to run for more than 5 minutes and the thought of running 1, 2, 3 miles seemed completely unattainable. Today, I ran for 57 minutes and made it 5 miles. Now that I know I can do it, I have adjusted my goal. I am now going to try and "participate" in the 2013 Wine and Dine Half Marathon. Right now, my goal is simply to be able to keep pace and finish the race. I have no aspirations of running the entire 13.1 miles. Since I live in Michigan, I don't see myself running much once the snow starts to fall. That means I will be sticking to the elliptical for my winter-time cardio. I know I'll have to work to get back on track next spring and hopefully, we won't have a wicked-hot summer like this year.

So, are there any other "non-runners" out there that want to join me in trying to become a "runner"? Anyone else need a little kick in the pants for motivation?

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV May 2015 AKV Expedition Everest Challenge
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
dworldlovers
Mouseketeer

My wife went from a non-runner to a runner and completed her first half marathon last month!! She and 6 co-workers joined Team-in-Training and raised $$$ for luekemia and went to San Francisco to run the Nike Womens' Marathon and Half marathon. She followed a training program and worked very hard. She didn't run the entire distance, but she wasn't doing it to win. Now my wife and daughter are in training as they are registered to do the Disney Princess half in Feb!!! Good luck with your training!!
dworldlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
MickeySP
DIS Veteran

Yep a very non-runner here. I decided to do a marathon when I was on the road to losing a large amount of weight.

I started with local fun 5Ks, amped to the 1/2 in WDW and finally in '07 I did the Goofy.

So it can be done I used Marathoning for Mortals as a guide, also joined a running club.
MickeySP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Is it weird that I run better when I am by myself? DH came with me once and I just felt so unfocused. I always run with my iPod because if I can hear myself huffing and puffing or if I can hear my feet hitting the pavement, I start dragging. I have to have my music and I am not one to hold a conversation while I am running. It's not that I am too winded, it's more that I can't focus on my run and have a conversation at the same time. I usually get so engrossed into the beat of the music that I will forget that I am even running. When someone is with me, I get distracted.

Maybe I'm just a "snobby" runner. It doesn't bother me if there are other people around...just so they're not trying to talk to me.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV May 2015 AKV Expedition Everest Challenge
Old 11-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

I started running in late July. I'm now running 7+ miles. My first 10K is next week, and I'll be doing the Princess Half in Feb. I too started running to do a runDisney event. I'm getting a little nervous because I didn't realize the 10K is mostly serious runners, and I'm looking at a very likely dead last finish.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
poohlover
DIS Veteran

Well I started running over the summer, but I still have to stop and walk every once in a while. Just ran 3 1/2 miles this morning! I'm pleased with my progress, I've gone from a 45 minute 5K (back in April) to a 35 minute one this past week!

Being as I am a bit older, over 50, I would love to do a half marathon, but I figure that may be a few years yet! Running has made me stronger and more flexible! I'm also hoping not to lose my stamina over the winter, but I hate running on the treadmill!

I figure until the snow starts I'll be running outside and do what I can! I found I actually do better with someone else running with me. My 22 yr old son was my running partner in Aug and kept me going! We are running a 5K this weekend together since he'll be home form school for the holiday!
poohlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

I have a question...

I was looking at the results for the W&D 1/2 Marathon and I see that the "last place" finisher in my age bracket finished the race in just over 4 hours. If it is a 13.1 mile race and you are required to maintain a 16-minute mile pace, how does one finish the race in 4 hours? Wouldn't a 16-minute mile pace mean you have to finish in about 3.5 hours? Or is there a math component I am totally missing?

Old 11-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started

I'm a non runner runner, and most people would NEVER expect it when they looked at me. My junior year of high school I was a size 20-22 and I joined the cross country team. I started out not being able to jog a single lap around our track to joining the team in the 6-8 miles a day runs. I was slow, but I always finished! I also was on the track and field team, where in my area you have to do at least one running event to participate in the field portions. My main events were the shot put and discus, but I also did the 50m sprint.

What's funny is that I still never got to a size that people expected from a runner. My smallest was 18, even though I worked out for two + hours a day, 5 days a week. I was also on a healthier diet since eating cheetos right before a 5km race was never a good idea

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009176
ladypage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure about the Wine & Dine, but I've read that at the Princess once you reach a certain point in the race they'll let you finish. I don't know that that's accurate & I don't remember what that point is, but if there are finishers after 3.5 hours, that makes sense.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice View Post
Is it weird that I run better when I am by myself? DH came with me once and I just felt so unfocused. I always run with my iPod because if I can hear myself huffing and puffing or if I can hear my feet hitting the pavement, I start dragging. I have to have my music and I am not one to hold a conversation while I am running. It's not that I am too winded, it's more that I can't focus on my run and have a conversation at the same time. I usually get so engrossed into the beat of the music that I will forget that I am even running. When someone is with me, I get distracted.

Maybe I'm just a "snobby" runner. It doesn't bother me if there are other people around...just so they're not trying to talk to me.
Kristen, meet your RunningSister Brenda!

I've been running since June. I'm 48 and am a new runner.

You ARE a runner! And I bet if you didn;t run in the next three days, you'd miss it. Crazy thought, I know, but that is what is happening to me.
Yesterday I was to a perm and she cancelled so my first thought was "Yay! I get to go for a run!" And I did!

I signed up on Father's Day to the January WDW 1/2. I completed it in 2007 but it was not pretty--I walked a lot of it--long story around the death of my dad. Anyway, every race that DH does, I get excited at the race atmosphere and think I want to do one so I decided I'd sign up.

There's been high and lows in my excitement and nerves but I am really enjoy a 3-5 mile run these day.
I like to run alone too. I like to listen to music and listen loud enough that I can't hear my breathing or pounding the pavement... honest!

My DH runs all the time and has for years. He's a FF/paramedic and an Ironman. Running the 13.1 is a short run for him but he'll run with me and he'll go at my pace not matter how much faster he'd love to go. True love. He does not run with music and our reasons are the exact reasons I give him for using it.

I just got a new pair of running shoes and was actually excited about it!

Like I said...I think you ARE a runner! Congrats! And keep up the great work!!

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
AuroraRosesMom
Yes, they named her after the dawn, for she filled their lives with sunshine.

Hello!

I am becoming a non-runner, runner. Growing up I was very athletic too, but not a runner. I'm 28 now and after my last pregnancy, a lot of weight has really stuck with me. I've been really hard on myself about it, but I decided that I was going to try something different. Something I never thought I could do... which is running! I've been doing the C25k program. I am on week six. Jogged 20 minutes straight last week. I really surprised myself. However, I cannot thank you enough for your post, because I've had a bad week this week in terms of getting off my butt, but your post is re-motivating me. :D My father is doing the c25k program as well. We hope to run a 5k together in the not too distant future. I didn't realize Disney had a 5k. I will have to look into that for sure!
Thanks again for your information and your motivating post and congrats on your success with running!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Who went out and ran today?

I did! It is about 50 degrees and not a cloud in the sky so I had no excuses. I didn't want to push myself as hard as yesterday, but I know that I won't be running this weekend at all so I wanted to do a short run.

I pounded out 3.36 miles in 38:39. It wasn't a lot, and I even started out with a 5-minute walk (instead of the quarter-mile I usually do) so I was trying to take it easy from the beginning.

About halfway through, the shuffle feature on my iPod tried to kill me. It chose "Gangnam Style", "I Like to Move It" and "I'm Sexy and I Know It" all in a row. Yes, I admit it...I like the beat of those songs...they're silly and light so they really get me moving. Luckily, I wasn't on an uphill stretch or I probably would have keeled over.

The kids are now home from school, and of course, they want to take the dog for a walk. So, I'm heading out for another mile.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice View Post
Who went out and ran today?

I did! It is about 50 degrees and not a cloud in the sky so I had no excuses. I didn't want to push myself as hard as yesterday, but I know that I won't be running this weekend at all so I wanted to do a short run.

I pounded out 3.36 miles in 38:39. It wasn't a lot, and I even started out with a 5-minute walk (instead of the quarter-mile I usually do) so I was trying to take it easy from the beginning.

About halfway through, the shuffle feature on my iPod tried to kill me. It chose "Gangnam Style", "I Like to Move It" and "I'm Sexy and I Know It" all in a row. Yes, I admit it...I like the beat of those songs...they're silly and light so they really get me moving. Luckily, I wasn't on an uphill stretch or I probably would have keeled over.

The kids are now home from school, and of course, they want to take the dog for a walk. So, I'm heading out for another mile.
Not today but tomorrow--AFTER Thanksgiving with my DH's family. So, I'll be eating very little! Can't today as I am still working. Can't tomorrow a.m. because I am working. SO, it is tomorrow afternoon before it gets dark. I just am scheduled for 3 miles--last Saturday was 9.5!!

I know what you mean about songs...not sure why but I actually like running to Soulja Boy's Bird Walk and Get Silly. I just like the beat of these songs! Fun to run too!

Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

I'm going to recommend, see if you can find a group to run with. It makes all the difference, especially when starting out and building your miles. I am part of USA Fit - Charlotte, I run with about 50 other people, and it really makes all the difference.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRosesMom View Post
Hello!

I am becoming a non-runner, runner. Growing up I was very athletic too, but not a runner. I'm 28 now and after my last pregnancy, a lot of weight has really stuck with me. I've been really hard on myself about it, but I decided that I was going to try something different. Something I never thought I could do... which is running! I've been doing the C25k program. I am on week six. Jogged 20 minutes straight last week. I really surprised myself. However, I cannot thank you enough for your post, because I've had a bad week this week in terms of getting off my butt, but your post is re-motivating me. :D My father is doing the c25k program as well. We hope to run a 5k together in the not too distant future. I didn't realize Disney had a 5k. I will have to look into that for sure!
Thanks again for your information and your motivating post and congrats on your success with running!
Can I ask how you keep track of your intervals on C25K? I really want to get into it but have trouble listening to music and keeping track of the intervals at the same time. Is there a timekeeping app or something you use?
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: