Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
shaynar
Mouseketeer

Best restaurant for ambiance - not food

B/c of food restrictions we have to order pre-made "frozen" meals. Yum

We still like to plan a couple TS meals to get off our feet and feel like we're on vacation.

That being said, what restaurants do you recommend for ambiance? Keep in mind 2 boys - 1.5 years and 4 years.

I was thinking Coral Reef for the fishes for one meal. What else can you think of?

No definite touring plans yet, so it could be anywhere really. Just no car and don't want to go wayyyyy out of my way just for an ADR (like AKL)

Too many than I can remember.....
Latest: 09/2008 Honeymoon @ Poly, 10/2010 First "family trip" @ WL, 01/2012 Bringing Baby #2 @ Kidani, 01/2013 @ BCV/VWL and 1/2014 @ VWL !!!!
shaynar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

I agree with Coral Reef.
Ohana, especially if you can be there for the fireworks.
Sanaa, before dark.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
AdventureIsOutThere
Just a girl, boy and their dog.

Well, I see that you said you wouldn't want to go waaaay out of the way for a meal like at AKL but Sanaa in the Kidani Village part of AKL is wonderful! If you go for lunch you can watch all the animals on the savannah (zebras, giraffes, ostrich, etc) and the prices for those who will be ordering off the menu are very reasonable.

I find it works best when I know I will be at the Animal Kingdom for the morning and then do a late lunch (around 2) at Sanaa since the AK is just a few minutes bus ride from the AKL.

I also want to mention that the last time I went one of the members of our group need dietary accommodations for gluten, dairy, eggs and a few others. Chef Trish was so on top of things and prepared a meal for him that was out of this world. He loved every single bite and was even able to get dessert.

I hope you are able to find a place that meets your needs! There are so many pretty and wonderfully themed restaurants on property. Best of luck planning your trip!
The MountainEars is the chronicle of two twenty-something Disney aficionados centrally located in Colorado. The blog follows their adventures in the 'Land and around the World including what they rode, ate and experienced while visiting their favorite Mouse!

Next trips: DL in Aug/Sept for the Disneyland 10k, WDW in November for the Wine & Dine Half, WDW January for WDW Marathon Weekend (half of us may be Dopey!), and maybe a special graduation trip to DL in April/May!
AdventureIsOutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Lancer
The more complex the mind, the more the need for the simplicity of play

A few off the top of my head that may appeal to your boys(atleast the 4yo) Sci-fi dine in, Rainforest cafe, Bomas or Sanaa, t-rex, Teppan Edo, 50'sPrime time cafe.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I'm guessing from the necessity of getting prepared, frozen meals that the OP is ordering kosher meals. WDW restaurants don't have a kosher kitchen so there's likely no other way to accommodate the restrictions.

Sci Fi, T-Rex, Rainforest Cafe maybe, Prime Time Cafe. If they like characters, maybe Chef Mickey's.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Lancer
The more complex the mind, the more the need for the simplicity of play

Actually, according to allears, most WDW restaurants can accomodate Kosher meals. However, some may require a 1 day advance notice, some do not.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
jamaka66
Mouseketeer

We love the Garden Grill. It's a fun time and it's the best character interaction that we have found The restaurant moves and the kids will love it.
jamaka66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Peaseblossom
Mouseketeer

San Angel is fun - browse the market while you wait, watch the volcano and boats while you eat, go for the ride after.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
olecow
Mouseketeer

I second the San Angel Inn. It's a must for my wife and I each trip. We love the food, but the setting and atmosphere really complete the meal for us.
olecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
shaynar
Mouseketeer

Yes, we're talking kosher meals here. To clarify the above posts - most wdw restaurants can accommodate kosher meals - which means they will warm up the frozen kosher meals for us. The kitchens are not considered kosher, so there is no way that anything can be prepared for us.

Dh actually said he was interested in eating at the Mexico Pavillion, so maybe I'll look into San Angel Inn....

Latest: 09/2008 Honeymoon @ Poly, 10/2010 First "family trip" @ WL, 01/2012 Bringing Baby #2 @ Kidani, 01/2013 @ BCV/VWL and 1/2014 @ VWL !!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Coral Reef for sure... & then I guess Garden Grill as a second choice. We also love The Flying Fish, but it is a few $$$s than the others.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
gobo2
Drug Lord/Dance Mom

Did you mean ambiance for you or for the kids?
gobo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
shaynar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo2 View Post
Did you mean ambiance for you or for the kids?
I guess moreso for the kids, but for us too. I just want it to add to our vacation and for everyone to have fun....

Old 11-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #14
meljean
Mouseketeer

My boys were the same ages as your boys our last trip. The favorites were t Rex, sci fi, breakfast at tusker house and actually the castle. They liked the swords and awesome desserts. Super fun ages!

MeDH : DS-6 DS-4: DD 7months

meljean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #15
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
Actually, according to allears, most WDW restaurants can accomodate Kosher meals. However, some may require a 1 day advance notice, some do not.
They need a one-day notice because they must bring the meals in from offsite. Thus, the already prepared, frozen meals.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: