Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #31
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

I don't think you're crazy at all! You have great reasons to make this a non park trip. We do rent a car though, and I would highly recommend that. CL at AKL sounds ahhhmazzzing!!!!! There is tons to do. We do enjoy TS restaurants so we would make adr's at the other deluxe resorts (we like GF Cafe, Cape May Buffet, Flying Fish, Kouzzina for breakfast, Beaches n Cream). You could do the Wanayami Safari at AKL, or the Safari exclusive to CL guests. We love DTD but we do like to shop there. La Nouba is an option for sure. Mini Golf at WinterSummerland, just checking out each and every resort would be fun! You could do the walk from WL to Fort Wilderness and check out FW.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #32
PrincessSarah314
Mouseketeer

These are all great options, and I am making a list from them all! Keep the suggestions coming, guys!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #33
Babbletrish
DIS Veteran

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSarah314 View Post
We are booked for 7 nights Club Level at AKL. Here is the crazy part: we don't want to do any parks, at all, for the whole week.

We are a couple in our 30's traveling without our teenager.

We've done the theme parks a lot in the past year, plus a 7 night cruise on the Fantasy. We had APs but they recently expired, and we don't want to purchase park tickets, as we are trying to keep the costs down. We booked the room using DVC so there was no cost to us OOP.

I just worry that when I get there I'm going to get the itch to go to the parks! I'm almost to our 180 days so we are getting ready to contact IPO and I am looking for suggestions of things to do that would be fun, relatively inexpensive, and maybe something we don't normally do since we are usually in the parks. For example, we've never seen La Nouba, but I have a feeling the ticket prices will eliminate that from our itinerary.

Am I crazy to think that I can last a week in The World without theme parks??
Well if you're going to spend a week in the World without setting foot in a theme park, from all I've heard AKL Club level is the place to be. The dedicated AKL thread can give you much more information about this, but there's enough activities there to fill several days, including a special safari only available to Club-level guests. Have an excellent time!
Babbletrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #34
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

We stayed at AKL for the first time this past August and I told DH the same. It's a really nice resort and I would only stay there again if we stay at the hotel to enjoy the balcony and the resort. I would take the time away from the parks to do what I always wanted to do and never have done because time wouldn't permit it. We would horse backriding, watch fireworks at the beach at the Poly, La nouba, enjoy meals at different resorts and so one. I think you are far from being crazy.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #35
WDWChloe
WDW Annual Passholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysparklybubbles View Post
Bus roulette? Get on the first bus that shows up at the resort, get on it and go to that theme park and then get on the next bus that shows up and explore there?
Wow. Bus roulette? Mind = blown. Why have I not done this yet!?

IG: @chloelovesdisney
WDWChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #36
ready2vacation
Mouseketeer

Definitely not crazy! DH and I are going on a kids-free trip in Feb for 6 nights and this has crossed my mind as well. We really are just going to eat at the signature restaurants at the deluxe hotels. Staying at the BWI, so we'd have plenty to do in close proximity. Looking forward to Jellyrolls (although my stick in the mud husband isn't as excited LOL)...

I may be dreaming, but didn't there used to be a way to get into Epcot late in the afternoon/evening at a discount?
ready2vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #37
tahrea
Earning My Ears

It's not crazy. I personally couldnt do it. I'm a parks girl. Rides is my thing but my disney-stick-in-the-mud husband could pass on the parks.
tahrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #38
ready2vacation
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahrea View Post
It's not crazy. I personally couldnt do it. I'm a parks girl. Rides is my thing but my disney-stick-in-the-mud husband could pass on the parks.
Glad to know I'm not the only one with a stick in the mud
ready2vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #39
PrincessSarah314
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2vacation
Definitely not crazy! DH and I are going on a kids-free trip in Feb for 6 nights and this has crossed my mind as well. We really are just going to eat at the signature restaurants at the deluxe hotels. Staying at the BWI, so we'd have plenty to do in close proximity. Looking forward to Jellyrolls (although my stick in the mud husband isn't as excited LOL)...

I may be dreaming, but didn't there used to be a way to get into Epcot late in the afternoon/evening at a discount?
Yes there is/was a twilight admission for people wanting into EP primarily to eat dinner, I think it still exists too!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #40
DisneyRunnerChick
Princess of the Sneakers

This sounds fun, actually. We stay at POR a lot and always say how cool it would be to do the carriage ride or rent the multi-passenger bike things, but never have the time. We've also never made it to the outlet mall though we swear we're going to each time!

We did do lunch with an animal keeper at AKL, and it was super cool! I think it was $60 pp, but that included an awesome lunch at Sanaa( I want to say four course, but it may have been five...) The pirate cruise from Poly also sounds like a ton of fun. We ate at Narcoosee's and watched the fireworks from there during our last trip, and the view was actually better than being inside the MK! Oh, and we LOVE the luau! The show and food are amazing - plus free wine & beer! Love! (Okay, I like to eat. I'll admit it. Lol.)

Of course, hanging at the AK pool is pretty sweet, too. It's one of the most relaxing on property, IMO.

Best of luck on a magical trip!

Me-; DFi-; DS-; DD-
Walt Disney World Half Marathon 2011, 2012; Wine and Dine Half Marathon 2011; Princess Half Marathon 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge 2012; ToT 2012; Wine and Dine Half 2012

Off property 2003; Off property 2004; PC March 2006; POR September 2010; ALSS January 2011; CS March 2011; POR October 2011; YC/PC January 2012; ALSS February 2012; AKL May 2012; POR September 2012; CB September 2012; AoA/ALSMusic November 2012; CSR January 2013

DisneyRunnerChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #41
PrincessSarah314
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2vacation View Post

I love Jellyrolls! I forced Mike to go with me, even though he is not quite the fan of hearing me sing that I am and we had a blast!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #42
PrincessSarah314
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunnerChick View Post
This sounds fun, actually. We stay at POR a lot and always say how cool it would be to do the carriage ride or rent the multi-passenger bike things, but never have the time. We've also never made it to the outlet mall though we swear we're going to each time!

We did do lunch with an animal keeper at AKL, and it was super cool! I think it was $60 pp, but that included an awesome lunch at Sanaa( I want to say four course, but it may have been five...) The pirate cruise from Poly also sounds like a ton of fun. We ate at Narcoosee's and watched the fireworks from there during our last trip, and the view was actually better than being inside the MK! Oh, and we LOVE the luau! The show and food are amazing - plus free wine & beer! Love! (Okay, I like to eat. I'll admit it. Lol.)

Of course, hanging at the AK pool is pretty sweet, too. It's one of the most relaxing on property, IMO.

Best of luck on a magical trip!
So you think the lunch with a zookeeper is worth the price? It is one of the things I was considering, but unsure about.

We ate at Narcoosee's and saw the fireworks there 3 trips ago (August of '11) so I think we'll skip that this time.

I would like to try the luau at Poly. I've never done that, and we did do Hoop Dee Doo in June and thought it was worth the cost.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #43
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

A couple of free ideas: each resort shows movies outdoors at night, so you could hit a few of those. Beach Club has them right on the beach looking out towards Boardwalk- it's really nice. Or you could go to the Poly to see the MK fireworks and see their movie (or Grand Floridian, for that matter).

My goal is to finally see Yee-Haw Bob at the POR on our next trip. I heard he's great!
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: