Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #61
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

Hope Claudia is feeling better this evening. It is so hard when babies get sick. My favorite book was "What to Expect The First Year" and the next one "What to Expect the Toddler Years". It had great advice on when to call the Dr. for things. You'd think being a nurse would make it easier, but really, when the child is your own, all bets are off!
The Beach Club is a wonderful place to stay! Have no worries-you'll love it. It would be a very hard choice for me between Poly and BC now that I've stayed at both. But, honestly, I think the Beach Club would win out. The pool for your DSD will be so much fun, and the games at the pool were great fun! And having the Boardwalk (as well as Epcot and DHS) just a walk away are the best perks! Be sure to check out the entertainment there some evening when maybe a park doesn't seem like the best idea-some night when you are tired, but don't want to just stay in your resort.

And, of course, you will HAVE to resort hop to check out all the holiday decorations. You can easily spend an entire afternoon/evening just doing that. Be sure to stop into the Wilderness Lodge. It is very pretty decorated for Christmas.
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Tiggerrn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #62
AvasMommy526
Mouseketeer

Awwww Mel, I hope Claudia is feeling better! It's the worst when your little one is not feeling well. We've been pretty lucky with Ava, only a couple colds so far but it breaks my heart when shes all stuffy and sad looking Please don't feel like a bad momma, we could never know everything bothering them, we live and learn and I'm sure cuddling her made her feel much better!

AvasMommy526 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #63
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Excellent resort choices! I would love to stay at both!

And no, there cannot ever be enough baby pictures. Bring 'em on!
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #64
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

To all my pet lover Dis friends, I need your help! My cat has major knots in her hair on her back towards her tail. (I think she got too fat to groom that area ). I try brushing but it doesn't seem to be working so well. Any tricks? A better brush, or some magic solution?

Peanut is feeling better, but not completely. Her fever is gone since yesterday morning but she is not drinking very well/much, screaming a lot in her sleep/waking up screaming every couple hours, and gets fussy VERY easily during the day. My guess is she either has some throat infection (I was prone to that as a kid) or is teething. Either way she seems in pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica23535 View Post
You re so right, they do!

We also stayed at the Poly last month, and while I really liked the rooms and the tropical vibe, I really loved staying in the Epcot resort area even more
There is nothing like being able to walk to your resort after Illuminations or Fantasmic, especially with a child in a stroller. We often used the secret entrance into the resort which took less than 3 minutes to walk from Epcot.

I had a look around AOA while we were there and that looks fantastic!
This is probably the thing I'm looking forward to the most, being able to talk back to my resort after a long day, or quickly hop into a park if I feel like it, even for just an hour, without feeling like I've wasted half my day in a bus. I can always enjoy the tropical vibe of Poly by having a meal there (ADR hint).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Wow that is awesome! I don't know how you are planning everything in such a short time!! But I know you will get it all done.

Just because we had a bad experience at the BC doesn't mean you will. You might love it and have a new favorite! You never know!! But yes, be sure to visit the Poly every chance you get.

Aw, don't feel like a bad momma. You live and learn. It's definitely challenging the first year. I hope she feels better soon.
Luckily I spend enough time here on a weekly (daily) basis and DH & I plan enough hypothetical trips in our heads that the planning of this trip is not *too* complicated.

I think I will like the BC. Not so much for the theming (Poly, AoA and AKL are definitely my faves for that), but for the convenience for sure.

Yeah, live and learn is so true. She's feeling a little better, but is not 100% back yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reberella View Post
I'm following along! Your trip sounds like a lot of fun and your baby is adorable
Good choice on the Beach Club! I absolutely LOVE that resort! And walking to Epcot is definitely a plus! The boat is also a really relaxing ride
Can't wait to hear more (:
Thank you, and this trip is shaping up to be incredible!
As much as I love the monorail, the boat to Poly and the ferry were actually my favorite means of transportation the last two trips, so I'm sure I'll enjoy the Friendship boat. I also love walking though, and since January won't be a hot as August I envision nice relaxing walks to Hollywood Studios alongside the river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerrn2 View Post
Hope Claudia is feeling better this evening. It is so hard when babies get sick. My favorite book was "What to Expect The First Year" and the next one "What to Expect the Toddler Years". It had great advice on when to call the Dr. for things. You'd think being a nurse would make it easier, but really, when the child is your own, all bets are off!
The Beach Club is a wonderful place to stay! Have no worries-you'll love it. It would be a very hard choice for me between Poly and BC now that I've stayed at both. But, honestly, I think the Beach Club would win out. The pool for your DSD will be so much fun, and the games at the pool were great fun! And having the Boardwalk (as well as Epcot and DHS) just a walk away are the best perks! Be sure to check out the entertainment there some evening when maybe a park doesn't seem like the best idea-some night when you are tired, but don't want to just stay in your resort.

And, of course, you will HAVE to resort hop to check out all the holiday decorations. You can easily spend an entire afternoon/evening just doing that. Be sure to stop into the Wilderness Lodge. It is very pretty decorated for Christmas.
Claudia is only feeling slightly better. If it's a tooth I hope it gets out soon. Of it's a throat thing, I wish the clinic would call me back and give me antibiotics to treat it. A friend lent to me the "What to expect when you're expecting" book, but I didn't read it that much. I think it stressed me out to read about potential problems, so I just ignored everything. Right now I rely on a Mommy & Baby care book, as well as a book provided by the government that covers pregnancy through toddler years and talks about everything, including health. Plus I have called the info-health line several times. You get to talk to a nurse who tells you what you can do, and if you should see a doctor. It's great, and free!

Checking out the Boardwalk is definitely on my agenda, but not sure where to fit it yet. I have a hard time scheduling time away from the parks. Thankfully since the parks close earlier in January, maybe I'll find time to check it out after.

I'd love to check out the Holiday decorations at different resorts, but again we have such a hard time "giving up" park time to do other stuff... we'll see how much slowing down Claudia forces us to do. Or maybe her and I will go visit some resorts while big sister and dad go do something. He did say he wanted to try the sea racers... You just gave me an idea!!! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvasMommy526 View Post
Awwww Mel, I hope Claudia is feeling better! It's the worst when your little one is not feeling well. We've been pretty lucky with Ava, only a couple colds so far but it breaks my heart when shes all stuffy and sad looking Please don't feel like a bad momma, we could never know everything bothering them, we live and learn and I'm sure cuddling her made her feel much better!
Thanks. Her fever is gone, but she is still in pain and I don't know why. I know I'm lucky because it's the first time she's sick. I have a friend who gave birth a month before I did and her son has been sick 5 of the first 6 months of his life. Mostly colds, but still I feel bad for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Excellent resort choices! I would love to stay at both!

And no, there cannot ever be enough baby pictures. Bring 'em on!
Thanks! I can't wait to try both resorts! The following trip is going to be hard though, having to go back to value!!

I had all my ADRs figured out, but now because of your latest update in your TR I'm not so sure.

Here's the latest baby picture I have:

ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #65
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Adorable baby picture.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your beautiful family.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #66
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Adorable baby picture.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your beautiful family.

Canadian Thanksgiving was 5 weeks ago, but thanks. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #67
disneykiwi
Mouseketeer

sorry to hear little Peanut is unwell. Hope its not too long before she is on the mend.

That photo is gorgeous - what a beautiful smile - she is so cute.

Hi from New Zealand.

Disneyland 1985, Disneyland 1992, Disneyworld 1999, Disneyland 2002, Disneyland 2004 Disneyland 2006 DisneyWorld 2010, Disneyland and ABD backstage magic trip June 2013
disneykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #68
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Glad the baby is feeling a little better! Very cute picture! Love the shirt!!
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #69
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneykiwi View Post
sorry to hear little Peanut is unwell. Hope its not too long before she is on the mend.

That photo is gorgeous - what a beautiful smile - she is so cute.
She still wouldn't eat her cereals this morning, but she's finally drinking almost as much as she used to and played without fussing right away today, so looks like she's getting better.

Thanks. That photo was taken by a friend who has an amazing camera (and the skills that go with it). Actually, he's the one who took our wedding picture! She does have the cutest smile. I may be bias though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Glad the baby is feeling a little better! Very cute picture! Love the shirt!!
She's even better today, so that's great!

Thank you. It's actually a dress and you are right, it's adorable! I can't go into Walmart without buying her some Disney clothes!!

Old 11-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #70
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
To all my pet lover Dis friends, I need your help! My cat has major knots in her hair on her back towards her tail. (I think she got too fat to groom that area ). I try brushing but it doesn't seem to be working so well. Any tricks? A better brush, or some magic solution?

Anyone?

FOOD - Table-service: Where have we eaten before?

Before I say where we will eat this trip, let's talk about where we ate on our two previous trips.

In 2009 we tried 5 places:

My food there was kinda bland, but Ron enjoyed his ribs.

The real star of the night though was Otaku's fried lasagna. I wish I ahd ordered that!!!

TUTTO ITALIA

The food was fine, nothing spectacular though.

TOKYO DINING

We all enjoyed our food, but Ron and Otaku are used to very good sushi so to them it was just okay.

This is where I tried Filet Mignon for the first time ever in my life (I'm not a big meat fan, and am quite picky in general) and fell in love with this!

Ron had the surf and turf and liked it a lot too.

We also had two character meals. First we had breakfast at

OHANA

The food was good, but obviously the real star was my favorite, Stitch.

That same day we had dinner at

Otaku was at an age where you start to feel self conscious and was not so keen on hugging the characters.

For our Disneymoon we tried 4 new table-service restaurants.

As you can see our meal choices were pretty similar to Narcoossee's two years before. Despite spending way more money here, we enjoyed Narcoossee's better.

VIA NAPOLI

Ron disagress with me, but I think this was the BEST PIZZA EVER!!!

HOLLYWOOD BROWN DERBY

The food was very good, and the service was superb. And this was a walk-up, last minute decision! A pleasant surprise. We even had free champagne and cupcake!

KONA CAFE

Ron loved his appetizer and entree. My entree was a bit bland, but I fell in love with THE BREAD!!! I think I was too busy stuffing my face with it to take a picture.

I can tell you right now that we will be going back to two of those restaurants. Can you guess which ones? We will also be trying at least 4 new places.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #71
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel
She is getting matted. Unfortunately if they won't brush out the only way to get rid of them is clip them out. If they are too bad and all the way matted to the skin it will need to be shaved out. Don't just ignore them, if they get too bad they will start to rip her skin! And don't wet them, when the fur dries it will tighten and make them worse! Once those are gone just make sure to brush her every day to keep then from coming back.

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR
Alien Encounter gave me PTSD!! A Dec '14 PTR

PhoenixStrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #72
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Sorry about the matting on your kitty. Minerva has very long hair and had started to get matting at the base of her tail/back and some other places. She also had a major hairball stuck for days which ended up being a $300 vet bill but that's a whole other issue! Since then, we've been brushing her daily. The matting on her back, tail eventually went away, We just kept brushing and trying to break it up with our fingers, when she let us. I heard if you rub a little baking soda (or maybe it was baking powder? or maybe cornstarch? I can never remember the difference....) in with your fingers, it will help to get it out. Minerva had one big one under her chest that was RIGHT up against her skin. We tried to cut it out but we couldn't get it without hurting her. We took her to the vet for a routine shot and told the vet about it and they just shaved it off right there. Soooo, if it gets really bad, you could always have the vet or a groomer shave them.
NikkiLovesWDW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #73
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
She is getting matted. Unfortunately if they won't brush out the only way to get rid of them is clip them out. If they are too bad and all the way matted to the skin it will need to be shaved out. Don't just ignore them, if they get too bad they will start to rip her skin! And don't wet them, when the fur dries it will tighten and make them worse! Once those are gone just make sure to brush her every day to keep then from coming back.
Thanks. I have to be better at brushing her everyday. At least she likes it. My other cat won't let me get close to him with a brush anymore, but his fur is fine for now. Is there any kind of brush that works better than others? Can I just clip it with regular scissors?

Have you heard of that trick that Nikki just mentioned, with the baking soda or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
Sorry about the matting on your kitty. Minerva has very long hair and had started to get matting at the base of her tail/back and some other places. She also had a major hairball stuck for days which ended up being a $300 vet bill but that's a whole other issue! Since then, we've been brushing her daily. The matting on her back, tail eventually went away, We just kept brushing and trying to break it up with our fingers, when she let us. I heard if you rub a little baking soda (or maybe it was baking powder? or maybe cornstarch? I can never remember the difference....) in with your fingers, it will help to get it out. Minerva had one big one under her chest that was RIGHT up against her skin. We tried to cut it out but we couldn't get it without hurting her. We took her to the vet for a routine shot and told the vet about it and they just shaved it off right there. Soooo, if it gets really bad, you could always have the vet or a groomer shave them.
Thanks. I hope I don't have to shave her. It would look so weird!! Poor Minerva, with a hairball stuck! I'll have to look into the baking soda (or whatever it is), to see if it could help.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #74
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Quote:

Thanks. I have to be better at brushing her everyday. At least she likes it. My other cat won't let me get close to him with a brush anymore, but his fur is fine for now. Is there any kind of brush that works better than others? Can I just clip it with regular scissors?

Have you heard of that trick that Nikki just mentioned, with the baking soda or something?

Thanks. I hope I don't have to shave her. It would look so weird!! Poor Minerva, with a hairball stuck! I'll have to look into the baking soda (or whatever it is), to see if it could help.
We thought about shaving her entire body - the lion's cut, I think it's called. But the vet just shaved that one spot and you can't even see a bald patch. Good luck!

And Happy Thanksgiving!
NikkiLovesWDW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #75
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Quote:

A slicker brush works best. But really just brushing every day is fine, as long as you get all the way down the fur, and not just the top layer. If it's not too close to the skin then yes, regular scissors are fine, just be sure Ron (or someone!) is holding her tight so she just get hurt on accident while you have the scissors that close to her body.

Yes, it's either powdered corn starch or talcum powder that I've heard. Never heard Baking Soda or Baking Powder, though it's possible they would work. When I worked at a kennel with a grooming department we had the cornstarch on hand to work on mats with. It can help loosen them to make them easier to brush out.

Good luck!!!

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR
Alien Encounter gave me PTSD!! A Dec '14 PTR

PhoenixStrength is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: