Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #31
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Yay! AoA looks so nice, and I will definitely be checking them out while I'm there in a couple weeks.

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR
Alien Encounter gave me PTSD!! A Dec '14 PTR

PhoenixStrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #32
AvasMommy526
Mouseketeer

Awesome start!!
I love the cast update and seriously Claudia is gorgeous! I just love her pictures! I can't wait to see her in Disney!
I got the first part of the resort guessing right! I think AoA is great, I love the bright colors and "fun-ness" to the resort. I've heard the food court has some great selections too! Can't wait to hear about the deluxe resort

AvasMommy526 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #33
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Hey Mel,

Subbing on...

First, I'm sorry for the loss of your mother. It sounds like a lot of good things have been happening for you... and it must be extra poignant for you to have lost her during that period... it's nice to be able to take the trip in her memory. I agree with you about the importance of living life and taking time to enjoy it along the way. What's that quote... Life is what happens while your making other plans?

Claudia is beautiful... Congratulations on her and Congrats on your marriage...

How fabulous to spend NYE in Disney... it sounds awesome...

Looking forward to reading along...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:20 AM   #34
disneykiwi
Mouseketeer

Hi Mel

I have lurked on all your trip reports and really enjoyed them. You had a beautiful wedding and the disneymoon was a great read.

Your little peanut is gorgeous and I love all the pics of her. I was so sorry to hear about your Mum passing but hope the new trip planning and your lovely bubby are keeping you busy and the memories of Mum are all happy ones.

Cant wait for this trip report especially you being there NYE.

Hi from New Zealand.

Disneyland 1985, Disneyland 1992, Disneyworld 1999, Disneyland 2002, Disneyland 2004 Disneyland 2006 DisneyWorld 2010, Disneyland and ABD backstage magic trip June 2013
disneykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #35
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Resort #2

The second resort was a little more complicated to choose. The 35% off deal had been out for a few weeks already by the time we booked, so the choices were slightly more limited. Mainly, Boardwalk and Contemporary were out as they had no rooms available under the discount. It would have been so cool to be able to walk to Magic Kingdom!!!

Some resorts did not interest us, either because of theming, location and/price. The final decision came down between three resorts : Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club and Polynesian.

Although I think AKL is gorgeous, I didn’t want to stay there this trip for two reasons. The first reason is because of the location. I’m used to having to take the bus everywhere in Disney, but since this trip I actually had the money to stay close to a park, I wanted to take full advantage of it. The second reason is that AKL is the cheapest of the deluxe resorts, so there is actually a chance that we could stay there on a future trip, either with another room-only discount or by renting DVC points.

Deciding between Poly and BC was much harder. There are so many good reasons to stay at both! Here are the pros (and some cons) for each of the resorts:

Beach Club :
- Within walking distance of two of our three favorite parks (Epcot and DHS)
- Best pool on property (if it’s warm enough to swim...)
- I really want to try Beaches & Cream
- Most of our ADRs are in that area
- Garden view guarantees us not to be looking at a parking lot (or rooftop)
- Not a big fan of the theme, especially the rooms. Too plain for me.

Polynesian:
- Easy access to two of our three favorite parks via monorail (MK and Epcot)
- Love love LOVE the theme, the way the rooms look, walking around the grounds, the fact that it’s more spread out
- Dole Whip
- The tropical theming
- Wacthing Wishes from the Poly beach was one of our favorite memories from our Disneymoon
- Did I mention how much I love the island feel?
- More expensive
- Standard view means we could either be looking at a garden (good) or a parking lot (not so good)

Okay, so what’s our choice?

Beach Club!

Even though the Poly is our ultimate dream resort, we chose BC for a couple of reasons. Money was the main reason. Even though I actually have the funds for deluxe, Ron did not like spending all that money on “just the room” (his words, not mine), and would have preferred we splurge on a family suite at AoA instead since at least there we would have gotten an extra room. I was nice and met him halfway by not choosing the most expensive deluxe.

The other reason, which kind of stems from the first one, is that chosen the least expensive of the two choices frees up some money for food and most of our choices of ADR are in the Epcot/Epcot resorts area anyway.

I mentioned in the cons that I wasn’t a big fan of the rooms, but at least they look MUCH better since the refurb. Here is what they looked like before:

Here is what they look like now:

So much more elegant now! If the room had not been refurbed I don’t care how much more money we would have had to spend, but I would have chosen the Poly for sure. At first I was not sure about the decision of staying at BC and wanted to keep our options opened, but the more I think about it the more excited I get. Walking to Epcot is going to be so awesome!

Do you want to hear about our ADRs or our plans next?

ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #36
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Yay for choosing Beach Club, I'm sure you'll love it! I understand your decision, both the pros and cons. And the rooms do look a lot nicer since the refurb.

As for what you should do next, I vote plans!

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR
Alien Encounter gave me PTSD!! A Dec '14 PTR

PhoenixStrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #37
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographymom517 View Post
Hey Mel!! I'm here!! I guess I can't guess your resorts!!! Lol!!!

I can say this though!! I just know you guys will have an awesome vacation!!!
That would have been cheating! I think you are right, this vacation will be amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographymom517 View Post
Also while I'm here, I finally decided to go with A Baby's Best Friend for my stroller rental I'll send ya an email once the kids go to bed!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
I'm in!
Glad to see you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedupmomma View Post
Here~!
Woohoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I saw your post on Facebook. We don't know each other, but I've seen you on other threads that we are both subscribed to, and I'm joining in.

***I'm back. I read the intros; I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I know how difficult it is...I lost my dad a week before our 25th wedding anniversary trip four years ago.

I'm going with Poly as your deluxe, but guessing you are going to stay at AOA for your first days.
Yes, I've seen you around as well.

Thank you. Some days are harder than others, but it's getting better. I know it was four years ago, but sorry for you loss as well.

You were almost right with the Poly, but congrats on guessing AoA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkedupmomma View Post
ok, subbed.. I'm calling Poly and AKL.. no clue why though lololol
That's not true that you don't know why, you told me your reasoning! You guessed wrong, but those two are definitely on my list to try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
I'm here!!!

I'm guessing Poly and AKL, which I see was already guessed, but what I think you picked I can't wait for you to get the details started!!

ETA: You should check out the December Roll Call thread! You may be arriving the last day of December, but a lot of them will be there they same time as you, and we are a fun bunch over there!

PART FOUR!! *December 2012 Roll Call* Holidays, FLE & MVMCP!! A very, merry thread!
Hurray! Poly and ALK were very good guesses and could have very well have been true.

Thanks for inviting me. What a chatty bunch!!! I don't know if I can keep up!

Peanut's waking up, be back later to reply to the rest of you.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #38
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Ron and Peanut are Skyping with Otaku right now so I have time to post more replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
I'm in Mel! Oh my gosh, so excited!!! Baby's first trip!! AHHHH!!!
I can't wait to find out what deluxes you're staying at. I'm hoping one is The Wilderness Lodge!!!
I'm excited too, and I'm glad you are here.

Wilderness Lodge was more expensive than the others. Also, as beautiful as it looks, I can drive 1 hour north of here to the mountains and go to a similar theme kind of resorts, so it's lower on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerrn2 View Post
OK, I'm in!! And I am going with AoA until the room discount kicks in, and then I think I will pick Poly, since it is on the monorail and you will have a little one with you.
Happy you made it here! Congrats, you guessed the right first resort! I was so tempted to stay at Poly and be on the monorail so we could go to MK all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Still not caught up on your TR, but I'm here!

My guess is AKL and the Poly (great minds must think alike)
Glad you're here. Now go read my TR! j/k
Lots of great minds here. One day I'll stay at AKL, that's for sure. And I may not be staying at Poly this trip, but for sure we'll be spending some time there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKeys View Post
I'm subbin. I'm not sure how to guess since I'm confused as to whether it's 2 different deluxe, or just one deluxe after the room rate is discounted. I'm thinking the latter one. Therefore, I'll guess where you usually stay in the value for the beginning, and then on to Polynesian. Whichever resorts you pick, I can hardly wait for the PTR to begin!

Read you soon!
Glad you made it on the correct thread. Sorry I didn't make it clear, you were right, it was one value and one deluxe. With all those Polynesian guesses, maybe I should have gone there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica23535 View Post
Hi Mel,

I really enjoyed reading your last report so can't wait for this one

My guesses are The Poly and Beach Club as those are the two resorts we stayed at last month.
It's nice to hear you enjoyed my TR. You guessed the Beach Club! Yay! How was it? Any good nooks and crannies to explore?

Quote:
I'm guessing Grand Floridian and Beach Club.

My youngest is 8 years old now, but he was 6 weeks old on his first visit to WDW. He's growing up with Disney being a regular part of his life. We made full use of the baby care centers when he was in diapers! They have full sized, padded changing tables. Used them so much that we ended up in the Disney Vacation Planning DVD. They have used parts of that footage all these years!

The baby swap is a great option to be able to ride some attractions!
Another guess for Beach Club! Based on my recent experience at the mall with Peanut, I'm guessing feeding her in the calm of the Baby Care Center might be the way to go! Now I have to go check the planning DVD to see that footage of you!

Otaku will be very happy that we take advantage of the Baby Swap option since she'll get to ride stuff twice.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #39
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvasMommy526 View Post
Yayaya, what a great start!!! This is going to be such a magical trip for your family
I think I was still lurking at time so I never did say that I'm truly sorry about your moms passing. I can only imagine how difficult it must be, I can say that this trip will have her right with you the whole time

How exciting for NYE!! Oh my gosh, one of my bucket list items is to spend Christmas and NYE in Disney! Awesome

I don't know if I should guess 2 deluxe or one of each, monorail, Epcot, ahhhh so many choices! LOL! So I am going to guess...AOA and Poly orrrrr Yatch Club and Poly! No matter where, it's gonna be a blast!
Hi friend! I really feel like this trip will be special in so many ways.

Thank you. Ron feels that my mom had a hand in us finding such a great deal on our flights. She only went to Magic Kingdom twice for day trips back when I was a toddler. After our 2009 trip I was hoping she'd be able to join us for a later trip, so I hope she's with us in spirit this time.

Of course we dreamed of going to Disney for Christmas and NYE, but we never thought we would get a chance unless we won the lottery. It feels unreal that we will be there for NYE!!!

You got AoA right! Yacht Club would have been a good choice, but BC is slightly better since it's closer to Epcot and I like the beach better than boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaBella05 View Post
joining in

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
Subscribing!

Looking forward to hearing about your upcoming trip and first with DD!

I am going to guess for your two resorts... Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Polynesian

Emma x
Hi Emma! There are going to lots of first on this trip, that's for sure. Your pictures from AKL were so pretty, we will for sure look into renting DVC points there for a future trip. It's so popular though, that would not have worked for a last minute trip like this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto0809 View Post
Joining in. Can't wait to read more!

I'm going to say the Poly and Boarkwalk for your resorts.

As to the fonts, the second one is easier to read for me!
Glad to have you here!

Poly is so pretty, I hope to stay there one day. I would have liked Boardwalk because it has an even better location than Beach Club, but all they had left was Concierge and that was way too expensive.

Quote:
Yay for a cast update! I LOVE all of the pictures, including the ones of you and Ron, they are all great.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouser&curiouser! View Post
Great cast! Peanut is so cute! I can't wait to hear about the travel plans! This trip will be here before you know it.
and thank you!

I know! I've never had a ticker move so fast! It's great.

Quote:
Peanut is just the cutest and looks like Otaku adores her.
Thank you! Otaku lights up every time she sees her little sister on the computer screen when Ron and her Skype.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #40
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yay! AoA looks so nice, and I will definitely be checking them out while I'm there in a couple weeks.
I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvasMommy526 View Post
Awesome start!!
I love the cast update and seriously Claudia is gorgeous! I just love her pictures! I can't wait to see her in Disney!
I got the first part of the resort guessing right! I think AoA is great, I love the bright colors and "fun-ness" to the resort. I've heard the food court has some great selections too! Can't wait to hear about the deluxe resort
Thank you! I can't wait to see her in Disney as well. I love the bright colors and "fun-ness" of it too! That's the one thing I worry about, that the food court at BC won't be as good as POP/AoA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Hey Mel,

Subbing on...

First, I'm sorry for the loss of your mother. It sounds like a lot of good things have been happening for you... and it must be extra poignant for you to have lost her during that period... it's nice to be able to take the trip in her memory. I agree with you about the importance of living life and taking time to enjoy it along the way. What's that quote... Life is what happens while your making other plans?

Claudia is beautiful... Congratulations on her and Congrats on your marriage...

How fabulous to spend NYE in Disney... it sounds awesome...

Looking forward to reading along...

Thank you. Yes, it's been a bittersweet two years, with the wedding, the pregnancy/birth, the Disneymoon, and my mom's illness and passing away. You are right, I feel it's harder to lose her now. I wish I could ask her questions about how I was as a baby to compare to Peanut. I'm especially sad that Peanut won't grow up to know her grandma. That's a nice quote.

Thank you again. I love looking at Claudia!

NYE in Disney will be amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneykiwi View Post
Hi Mel

I have lurked on all your trip reports and really enjoyed them. You had a beautiful wedding and the disneymoon was a great read.

Your little peanut is gorgeous and I love all the pics of her. I was so sorry to hear about your Mum passing but hope the new trip planning and your lovely bubby are keeping you busy and the memories of Mum are all happy ones.

Cant wait for this trip report especially you being there NYE.

I'm so glad you decided to not be a lurker anymore! It's nice to hear that you enjoyed my previous TRs.

Thank you, thank you. Peanut and Ron are sure keeping me busy and happy. I do have some great memories of my mom, the most recent being seeing her smile every time she saw her grandchild.

I can't wait for this trip to happen!

Quote:
Yay for choosing Beach Club, I'm sure you'll love it! I understand your decision, both the pros and cons. And the rooms do look a lot nicer since the refurb.

As for what you should do next, I vote plans!
The more I think about it, the more I'm liking the idea of staying at Beach Club. Thank god for that refurb!

Good thing I actually made those plans today then!
Old 11-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #41
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Love both your choices of resorts!!

We haven't stayed at AoA, but we have eaten there several times. It's a gorgeous resort, lots of photo opportunities!

The Beach Club, you can't go wrong! The pool is awesome. When my oldest was a toddler, he loved digging in the sand at the pool. It's so nice to walk to Epcot. We have stayed here several times, enjoyed each stay.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #42
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

Yay!! Your room choices are awesome!!! We stayed Beach Club in 2008. In fact, in my old TR the photos are all still there. Take a look. It was always really nice to walk to Epcot. Are you doing Villas or just the rooms? If you are staying in the rooms, request a full balcony. There aren't that many rooms with the full balconies and it was really a nice thing to have.
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Tiggerrn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #43
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

I'm here! You're trip sounds like it is going to be amazing, I spent one night in AoA and I loved it, it's adorable! And the Beach Club is SO beautiful...I want to stay at the Poly someday too, it's my ultimate dream resort, but you cannot beat walking to Epcot!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #44
AvasMommy526
Mouseketeer

Your mom is absolutely going to be there with you and your family, no doubt she had a hand in making sure this trip came together!
The Beach Club is going to be wonderful, I definitely want to stay there someday! I love the beach too and the theme of the resort is beautiful, along with storm along bay! So fun, I hope you get some warmer days to enjoy it! I don't know much about the food at BC except of course Beaches and Cream If not Epcot is a short walk away
Oh and again NYE is going to be amazing, and the Christmas decor will still be up for you to enjoy ! I can't wait to her the NYE plans!

AvasMommy526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #45
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your resort choices. I got it at least half right.

The Beach Club is the only resort of those I haven't stayed at that I still want to try and it looks like I might get a chance to do so on my girls trip with MaryAz and her adorable girls in June.

I would love to hear about your ADR's next.

Oh....and I loved the intros (sorry, I was out of town with our son and his fiance over the weekend and got a little behind and I'm sure it will happen again as we leave in 17 days for my hubby's surprise 60th birthday trip to Disney). Your baby is precious.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: