Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #16
lucifie
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=ktlm;46713823 We dragged a kicking and screaming 2 year old out of MK, only to have her so furious when we got back to WL that she did not nap for the 2-3 hours we stayed at the resort (she is a stubborn one). She spent a good part of that time standing behind the curtain in the room sulking. [/QUOTE]

I had to laugh at this because I can totally picture my 2 year old doing that.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #17
married2mm
DIS Veteran

i think it's whatever works best for you and your family.

we never stay in a park all day. i have various health issues and simply don't have the stamina to keep going all day.

we return for tv/ipod time, pool, reading,shopping,food but no naps either- just some time out.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #18
diamondpixienc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlm

Same thing happened to us when DD was 2 on her 1st trip. I was convinced by these boards, that we just had to do a mid-day break. We tried it the first day. It was an absolute disaster. It was the only meltdown she had the entire week. We dragged a kicking and screaming 2 year old out of MK, only to have her so furious when we got back to WL that she did not nap for the 2-3 hours we stayed at the resort (she is a stubborn one). She spent a good part of that time standing behind the curtain in the room sulking. Clearly, she got the commando gene from her parents. When we finally just gave up and went back to the park, she immediately got a huge smile on her face and crawled right into her stroller and napped for an hour. After that, it was the parks open to close with stroller naps in the park for us and it worked great. She would crawl right in the stroller and go to sleep when she was tired, and we would take turns riding the big rides while she slept.

She is 6 now, and we have had 4 WDW trips since her first one, and we never take a mid-day break. We've started at 9:00 a.m. and gone until 11:30 p.m. before and been just fine.
I didn't actually find the Dis until after 2 trips with my older 2 and did no mid day breaks they were great stroller nappers so the afternoon break thing was one of the tips i found to be not necessary for us too.

diamondpixienc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #19
katie111
DIS Veteran

We don't do the mid-day breaks either. Just seems like way too much work. Everyone comes back from the park sweaty & dirty so we have to wait forteh bus, ride the bus, take showers, change clothes, get into bed, then try to sleep, then get up, get dressed, brush hair, brush teeth, repack for the second half of the day, go wait for the bus again...etc. Just too much! We just pack everything we need for the day/night & head out. We often do an early ADR (around 5-6) and assess where everyone is at. If everyone wants to keep going, we do, otherwise we head back, sometimes for a swim, sometimes just to bed. Luckily my youngest (now DS5) has always been a great stroller sleeper so this plan has always worked for us. We don't always get to see the nighttime parades & fireworks but have seen them all least once or twice. We also don't go in super hot weather so we can usually muster up enough energy to last for a full day.
Off site 2008

Wilderness Lodge 2008
Caribbean Beach 2009

Off site 2010
POR 2010, Swan 2011
All Star Music/Movies 2012
Wyndham Bonnet Creek 2013
katie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #20
kohlby
DIS Veteran

Another plus of not doing out-of-park breaks is that I can tell the kids that we'll stay as long as I think they can handle. And let them know that I'm using their behavior to figure that out. They don't want to leave, so they're extra good! I still make sure to leave in time for good bedtimes since they won't sleep in, but that's all I care about. Once my kids get to 5, they behave perfectly every single day since they want to stay! (At 3, it's not as much of an incentive, but they certainly try!)
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #21
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

It definitely varies by kid/family. When we went in March it was really hot in the middle of the day so we left the parks and went to the pool at our resort. Our kids haven't napped in a long time so we didn't even bother trying that. We ate lunch and then went to the pool. A couple of the days, DD ended up taking a power nap on the lounge chair but even without the naps they were ready to go back to the parks for dinner and into the evening.
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo.
Me: Marie (33), DH: Neil (41), DS: Jax (4), DD: Presley (3)
New DVC Owner at Bay Lake Tower and Animal Kingdom!
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #22
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammag View Post
got back 2 weeks ago, first trip since Dh and I were small, took DD5 and DS1. everything was wonderful with the exception of a planning mistake the first day. so I have read everything saying its good to take little kids to the hotel mid day for a break/nap. we planned to do RD our first day then leave at noon, return around 5 so the kids could be happy and enjoy elec parade etc.

we hated leaving, but thought it was for the best..got back to hotel and ate, treid to nap. kids would not could not na a second, they were grumps and Dh ad I even got into a fight. I dont know why but it just did not work out for our family! we should have toughed it out. lesson learned, the only good thing was that day was very crowded and our other time at MK was easy and awesome. so I guess make sure your kids will really rest or nap if you take them home...
We have done all day at the parks and then just crash. This time we went back to the resort and it made our kids last alot longer. My girls are 8 and 5 (just turned 5 mid-October) and my 5 yr old still naps. She went napless but just the break from the lines and standing helped us out.

I'm thinking the mid-day breaks aren't for all! I can tell you that this 37 year old dad did not mine the mid-day cat nap
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (March)
2012 BLT (November), 2013 BWV
brettcw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #23
shopgirl78
Mouseketeer

We have done it both ways. Our first trip, DD & DS1 were fine during the day, no break needed. DS1 slept in the stroller and DD didn't need a break.

Our second trip, they wanted that mid day break mostly to go swim. They loved the pool at the POLY and it had been several months since they were last able to swim (March & winter), so mid day breaks were requested for swimming.

7 years 5 years 3 years
shopgirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammag View Post
got back 2 weeks ago, first trip since Dh and I were small, took DD5 and DS1. everything was wonderful with the exception of a planning mistake the first day. so I have read everything saying its good to take little kids to the hotel mid day for a break/nap. we planned to do RD our first day then leave at noon, return around 5 so the kids could be happy and enjoy elec parade etc.

we hated leaving, but thought it was for the best..got back to hotel and ate, treid to nap. kids would not could not na a second, they were grumps and Dh ad I even got into a fight. I dont know why but it just did not work out for our family! we should have toughed it out. lesson learned, the only good thing was that day was very crowded and our other time at MK was easy and awesome. so I guess make sure your kids will really rest or nap if you take them home...
We read about the midday break too before our first visit but it seemed more hassle than it was worth so we have never done it. I suspect it might work more seamlessly with your car as transport. For us losing a 1 1/2 for just transport was not appealing. We spend a lot of down time in sit down restaurants and the kids can nap in the stroller so maybe that relieves the pressure for even more downtime?
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 1/9-1/15/15 Disney Wonder.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11)
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #25
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

We have never stayed on property before so we always just stay all day. I am sure when we do stay on property we will do the same as we always do and stay all day. If the little ones want to nap they just nap in the stroller. I always bring their blankets with us so that way if they do they can cover up or use it as a pillow. They usually nap after lunch so its right around parade time we just find a good spot and take a rest while they nap. By the time the parade is over they are ready to go. We have even had little ones who slept through the whole thing and didn't even know they had missed it.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #26
brockash
DIS Veteran

This is our experience as well. We tried doing the nap thing one time, but it just wasn't worth it. It seemed like a lot of work and wasted time. One day towards the end of our trip we all just looked at each other like why are we making ourselves do this, when none of us want to lol.

For us, having the little ones fall asleep in the stroller when they're tired just works better for us. I think we all got grumpier when we would go back for a nap and then all have to wake back up

We very seldom ever go back to the hotel in the middle of the day (only really if someone isn't feeling well, or if the weather is just really bad.)
Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #27
Svhadden
Mouseketeer

We've never done mid-day breaks, either, and we've been going yearly since ours were 7 and 2. Those first couple of years, my son would take a 2 hour (glorious) nap in his stroller, and my daughter is the Energizer Bunny, so no break required.

As my son has gotten older and no longer naps, we just have to set a slower pace during the day, but we still do rope drop till lights out. A lot of the time, he'll fall asleep in my lap on the bus, so when we get back to the resort, I just change him into pj's, brush his teeth, make him potty, and he's out lol.

And if we do a very late night, we'll sleep in the next morning. As others have said, it just seems like too much lost time, and work/effort to get back and forth, etc. Just never seemed worth it to us, but it's absolutely something that each family has to work out.

Always dreaming about our yearly September trip .
Svhadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #28
john1928
Mouseketeer

Different strokes, go with what works.. Our kids are total nightowls, we were swimming after 1AM every night but one on our trip last December. Follow that with a later start, then straight through to close out the park is MUCH better than trying to do an early start, break, and return for us. That said we go during slow times of the year and the oldest was under 44" so several of the longest wait rides weren't on our agenda anyhow. We'll see how that holds up next week with an extra 0 year old in the mix...
john1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #29
dznygurl
Mouseketeer

We never took mid day breaks when our kids were younger. They did take small naps in their strollers on some days. However, on our trip (this week) we took a couple of afternoons off for mid day breaks bc the older two were "so exhausted". My DS17 actually took a nap on one day while my other two did some swimming. It amazed me that two 40-somethings had more energy than two teens.

1989 1st trip to WDW
2000 POFQ (Thanksgiving)
2002 POR (4th of July)
2006 Silver Lakes Resort (Mardi Gras)
2009 Windsor Hills (Mardi Gras)
2010 AKL (just the girls)
2012 AoA (Thanksgiving)
dznygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #30
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

We napped almost every day for our WDW visit *10/09* it was super warm and muggy

My kids were 9 & 6 and my mom was a young *had her birthday during our trip* 49 year old.

When we visit DLR we nap daily *when hours are 8am-12am - but that's easy, we always stay within walking distance there.
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: