Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
thewritegirl
Mouseketeer

Can we talk shoes and clothes?

I was reading the Disney Tourist blog, and the girl on there swears by dresses in the park. I can see the appeal - for one, it seems like they would be a little more quick drying than jeans. What do you all think? Are dresses a good idea or impractical?

Second - shoes. Some people like Crocs, and I have a couple of pairs that are super comfortable, but when they get wet, they are a slippery nightmare to walk around in. What shoes do you wear in the park? And, what should would you wear if you were wearing a dress? Like, you wouldn't want to wear full on, athletic lace-up shoes. You'd have to go with some kind of a compromise like a Merrell or Keen shoe, right? Thoughts, ideas? Pictures or links would be awesome, too!
thewritegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
kaci
Mouseketeer

I wear dresses 90% of the time I'm out of the house. I love Land's End knit dresses. They travel well are super comfy and modest enough for moderate activity. For shoes I'm packing a pair of Dansko mary janes, Chaco sandals and Keen ballet flats.
kaci is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewritegirl View Post
I was reading the Disney Tourist blog, and the girl on there swears by dresses in the park. I can see the appeal - for one, it seems like they would be a little more quick drying than jeans. What do you all think? Are dresses a good idea or impractical?

Second - shoes. Some people like Crocs, and I have a couple of pairs that are super comfortable, but when they get wet, they are a slippery nightmare to walk around in. What shoes do you wear in the park? And, what should would you wear if you were wearing a dress? Like, you wouldn't want to wear full on, athletic lace-up shoes. You'd have to go with some kind of a compromise like a Merrell or Keen shoe, right? Thoughts, ideas? Pictures or links would be awesome, too!
It's entirely personal about the dresses vs pants. I find it can be awkward getting in and out of some rides in a dress. And, if it's windy, that can cause other situations that can be equally awkward.

As to the shoes, I wear good walking shoes. Whatever shoes you go with, be sure they are not brand new, you should have a few miles already on them.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Shoes, I wear good tennis/athletic shoes that stay on my feet securely and are cushy to walk in. I can't do flip flops at all. I have done boots in the winter and my feet do hurt at the end of the day (which is weird because I wear boots to my bar job all the time and I dance in them lol) but if it's raining I still wear them.

Dresses, no way, no how. Now wearing a dress at DL. I wear jeans or capris or bermuda shorts but not dresses. Too many chances for "oops" IMO. and I do wear dresses to the aforementioned bar job so I have nothing against them.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
lizdotcom99
Tags Have Been Donated

I am with most others and agree.....no dresses. I am a capri or jean girl personally. And although I love my crocs for home...a day in the park with crocs is killer. I really need more support...and go with a good pair of running shoes. I find my feet do not hurt even after a long day of walking.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
KiwiMouseGirl
Mouseketeer

Im looking at a few varieties of the stretchy cotton maxi dressed for our trip next October/November. As for shoes, I wore canvas 'tennis' shoes when we were there in April/May. For me they gave the support of wearing a sneaker but were a lot lighter. They also dry quickly and it's easy to pack a few spare pairs of socks to change throughout the day
Old 11-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
thewritegirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaci View Post
I wear dresses 90% of the time I'm out of the house. I love Land's End knit dresses. They travel well are super comfy and modest enough for moderate activity. For shoes I'm packing a pair of Dansko mary janes, Chaco sandals and Keen ballet flats.
Your post made me go back over to the Land's End site and look again, because they are having this dang 30% off sale and free shipping. I can't stop looking. The other day, I ordered each of my kids a super cute messenger bag to take on our DL trip for less than $10 each and today I found a knit dress for under $10 after discount!

Last time, I did wear yoga pants a couple of the days, and they were nice because they dried out more quickly than jeans. I just hate walking around in wet jeans after Splash Mountain, yk?
thewritegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
kaci
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewritegirl View Post
Your post made me go back over to the Land's End site and look again, because they are having this dang 30% off sale and free shipping. I can't stop looking. The other day, I ordered each of my kids a super cute messenger bag to take on our DL trip for less than $10 each and today I found a knit dress for under $10 after discount!

Last time, I did wear yoga pants a couple of the days, and they were nice because they dried out more quickly than jeans. I just hate walking around in wet jeans after Splash Mountain, yk?

That's funny, I've placed 2 orders in the last week because of that sale, too. Five new dresses *giggle*

I hear ya on the wet jeans! Plus I just find the waist band of most jeans really uncomfortable when I'm sitting/standing/sitting all day long. Much rather not deal with it
kaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

I love fashion! But when visiting DL, I am all about yoga pants or capris, sneakers and tees. Comfort is #1 at DL.
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Judy from Boise
Watch out – might take away your birthday
Not superfluous in the least!
DIS World Traveller

DISboards Moderator

I love skorts, Athleta.com has a great selection. I pair them with Chaco sandals.
Judy from Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
kayleigh83
Plotting my return...

When I was there in July I wore a dress a couple days, it sure helped keep cool on the hot days! But I would wear bike shorts under it or something, there are situations getting on and off rides and such where wearing a skirt could get a little too revealing! I was just as happy and comfortable in shorts, and my range of motion was better, but that's just me!
kayleigh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
danlkrim
Mouseketeer

Lighweight and layers

The weather determines a lot of what I wear to theme parks.
For summer I like lightweight shorts and tops from Columbia or similar brands.
For other times, I like capris. I look for lightweight fabrics that will dry easily. I also like denim with stretch. I also look for things that don't wrinkle so they will be easy to pack and need little if any ironing. For cooler weather I like to layer a lightweight 3/4 sleeve shirt with a light vest. You can always add a hoodie for cool mornings/evenings or a thin rain/wind jacket if needed.
For shoes I like Teva and Merrell sandals but not flip flips. I don't want to lose a shoe on a ride.
Something to think about, especially in summer. is what I call "performance" underwear. There are several brands and styles available at places like REI. They wick moisture. I'm from Houston, live in Atlanta and I have vacationed in Florid in the summer. They are not cheap ($20/pair) but they make a big difference in comfort level.
Walt Disney World Feb 2012
Disneyland and California Adventure Feb 2013
WDW Nov 2013, Jan, Feb, April 2014,
danlkrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

Agree with the above poster about performance clothing. Whether it is a dress, pants, or underwear, moisture wicking, quick drying, non-wrinkling clothing works really well for travel, especially at DLR. I wear dresses and skirts frequently at the parks (usually with leggings or tights -- capri leggings in summer, wool tights in winter) and also long pants. Performance clothing (look for labels like Columbia, REI, Patagonia, Isis, Ex Officio, etc.) works better than anything else. Any dress that can pack without wrinkles, wash out in the sink, dry overnight, go through a whole day at the parks to dinner at Napa Rose and look great gets an A+ in my book!

As for shoes to go with the aforementioned clothing, Keens work best for me. Usually the mary jane styles. In really cold or wet weather, I wear boots -- Blundstone, Ugg, etc.
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh83 View Post
When I was there in July I wore a dress a couple days, it sure helped keep cool on the hot days! But I would wear bike shorts under it or something, there are situations getting on and off rides and such where wearing a skirt could get a little too revealing! I was just as happy and comfortable in shorts, and my range of motion was better, but that's just me!
Ay yi yi I second that. I wore a skirt to Disneyland ONCE and realized while having to straddle some poor woman's husband on Splash Mountain whilst my flowered underwear were somewhat exposed that I would NOT repeat that mistake.
sonnyjane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #15
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

If you wear a dress, stay off the Matterhorn. The seating is very "unlady like" and I even had the thought I was glad I wasn't wearing a dress.

In the summer I wear shorts. This November trip I just took I wore jeans all day. Morning and evenings were in the 40's.

As for shoes, I used to swear by my walking shoes, but the past few trips I've worn my Crocs flats. (Not the clogs, sorry, but I can't stand how they look) I have several different styles and they are cute AND comfortable. My Crocs flats are way more comfortable than my walking shoes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: