Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Will Starbucks coming to the Magic Kingdom effect your visit
Ye it will and I plan to never visit the Magic Kingdom again 1 0.74%
Yes it will, but I will just walk past it and not go in 25 18.52%
Don't care either way 20 14.81%
No it's just a coffee shop/ bakery that happens to sell strabucks 89 65.93%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #16
auroralark
Lives for vacation

Will this change make me not visit MK? Of course not. But will I visit the Starbucks? Nope. And I once religiously visited the bakery.

From I read, all Starbucks products were being brought in. Food and all. I can get that crap any time. Maybe items will be available in the park, but it's not the same. And even if the place is themed like they say I bet there will be Starbucks logos all over the place. And I don't like that.

I agree with Pete. There's a big difference between a building being sponsored by a company and becoming a location of that company. Since I'm pretty sure we can't stop Starbucks from coming, I'll just speak with my wallet and not visit the location.

Many trips as a kid! Offsite, CBR, Offsite, POR, All Star Sports, Offsite 3x May/June '07 Disneymoon @ BWI *
Sep '07 @ POR * May '09 @ CR * July '09 @ POP!Disneyland! Dec '09 - Jan '10 * Universal! July '10 * Sep '10 @ CSR
Jan '11 @ Poly * Solo! Oct '11 @POR * Feb '12 @ AKL
Our Princess arrived! 7/4/12
auroralark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #17
TheWho
DIS Veteran
preachin' from my chair

I find it funny that official Disney press releases keep coming out "tempering" the original Starbucks announcement. Toning it down or explaining the Starbucks decision with more details.

Maybe the "preserve Main Street" crowd is making a difference?

TheWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #18
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWho View Post
I find it funny that official Disney press releases keep coming out "tempering" the original Starbucks announcement. Toning it down or explaining the Starbucks decision with more details.

Maybe they realize that they should have done a better job in their original press release to describe their plans. Maybe they also should have known more about their fan base.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #19
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWho View Post

I don't think that is it. A subset of Disney fans tend to get all melodramatic and whiny about change and then completely over react before they even see what is done by the company. The original press release was aimed at normal people who would read it and see that Starbucks is going to have a presence in a bakery on Main Street. They wouldn't jump to conclusions about what that presence would be and assume it meant that the entire bakery would be replaced by a standard Starbucks location.

Instead, this subset of fans jumped to the worst possible conclusion despite not only having no evidence to support it but having evidence to the contrary (ie: the locations in other parks). So Disney had to justifiably roll their eyes, do a double facepalm, and then rewrite a press release to ensure these folks that the sky was not falling and Walt will not cause an earthquake by rolling around in his grave for the millionth time.

Maybe it will be a disaster, maybe it will be a well themed Disney bakery, staffed by CMs, that happens to sell some Starbucks coffee and some other baked goods. I'll wait until it is done and opened before I wail and gnash my teeth.

Last edited by FireDancer; 11-15-2012 at 08:50 AM. Reason: melodramatic, oops
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #20
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
I don't think that is it. A subset of Disney fans tend to get all mellow dramatic and whiny about change and then completely over react before they even see what is done by the company. The original press release was aimed at normal people who would read it and see that Starbucks is going to have a presence in a bakery on Main Street. They wouldn't jump to conclusions about what that presence would be and assume it meant that the entire bakery would be replaced by a standard Starbucks location.

Instead, this subset of fans jumped to the worst possible conclusion despite not only having no evidence to support it but having evidence to the contrary (ie: the locations in other parks). So Disney had to justifiably roll their eyes, do a double facepalm, and then rewrite a press release to ensure these folks that the sky was not falling and Walt will not cause an earthquake by rolling around in his grave for the millionth time.

Maybe it will be a disaster, maybe it will be a well themed Disney bakery, staffed by CMs, that happens to sell some Starbucks coffee and some other baked goods. I'll wait until it is done and opened before I wail and gnash my teeth.
You probably mean melodramatic. /grammar.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #21
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
You probably mean melodramatic. /grammar.
Haha, yep. Thanks.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #22
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Maybe they realize that they should have done a better job in their original press release to describe their plans. Maybe they also should have known more about their fan base.
You've hit the nail right on the head my friend. Even after their update they've still left a lot of questions hanging out there. They've simply got to get better at identifying what's important and how to communicate based on the level of importance.
You can't tell me they thought they could simply gloss over this announcement without a reaction. Somebody had to know this backlash was coming. IDK...Maybe I'm giving them too much credit... <shruggs shoulders>
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #23
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
But why wait until it's done and possibly a disaster? MAYBE because of the whiny fan reaction Disney re-thought the plan a little. Maybe the worst case scenario was the plan and they face palmed themselves realizing that wasn't the way to go. I know that isn't likely, but it's possible. I don't see anything wrong in saying something while it still has a chance of making a difference rather than waiting around until it's done to gnash my teeth and regret not speaking up before it was too late.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #24
TheWho
DIS Veteran
preachin' from my chair

I don't look at it from the angle of hysterical WDW consumers who jump to conclusions. I see a World Class Media company doing a rotten job announcing this change. How about an artist rendering of the inside and outside? Calm the fears that the MK Main Street won't look like my towns Main Street.

TheWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #25
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzco-like View Post
People who go to Disney parks do not, I would assume, experience them strictly intellectually or logically. They experience them emotionally. They go to laugh, to cry, to scream, to wonder. They go to make memories with friends and family. They take photos of experiences, and they treasure those photos and memories forever. They become emotionally involved.
First, thank you for the kind words. As to your point on emotional attachment, I agree, but I believe that far too many people cling to an emotional attachment based on a reality that never existed. The MSB has changed corporate sponorship numerous times. Why was it OK to have a big Sara Lee sign out front, with Sara Lee baked goods served inside, but now it is not OK to have a Starbucks sign out front, with Starbucks goods inside. It is this selective emotional attachment that I resist. People apparently pick a select moment in time, and then anchor that in cement as the foundation for their emotional memory. Why is the MSB of November, 2012 the only MSB that counts? The "legacy" MSB looked like this:

People claim to not want change, but the MSB has changed many times over already. So why are all the other changes good ones, but this particular change is bad? Why do people think that the refurbishment will be a disaster when no one raised a stink about this?

If you haven't yet listened to Pete's rant, please do. He assures us that the people at DL would NEVER put up with this change. But the picture above is of DL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzco-like View Post
Therefore, they react emotionally when they hear news of change. They think "How badly could this change go?" Then they think updates of Journey Into Imagination, or Spaceship Earth, or Mission to Mars, and they realize that it could go horribly, horribly wrong. Am I, or Pete, wrong? Could it go horribly wrong? We all know the answer.
As to "What could go wrong", I think that I laid out that the worst case scenario would be an urban Starbucks. But that isn't going to happen and we all know it. It is going to be something far more in line with what exists now. The same? No. Agreeable? Probably. But it is difficult to use Spaceship Earth and Journey Into Imagination as example of what could go wrong. While certain nostalgia buffs may not think of those updates as improvements, rest assured that there are millions of visitors who enjoy those attractions as their memories and would hate to see them changed. The Old Guard can bark all it wants about how these changes were for the worse, but that is merely their opinion, and the changes have not stopped people from queing up and enjoying themselves. Personally, I thought the original Journey Into Imagination was an incomprehensible glop of crud. The current version? Better, but still in need of a fresh look. So one cannot simply look at the past and predict doom for the future. I don't know why it is so difficult to put a bit of faith in Disney to trust that they aren't going to transform turn-of-the-century Main Street into
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #26
GrumpyFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
First, thank you for the kind words. As to your point on emotional attachment, I agree, but I believe that far too many people cling to an emotional attachment based on a reality that never existed. The MSB has changed corporate sponorship numerous times. Why was it OK to have a big Sara Lee sign out front, with Sara Lee baked goods served inside, but now it is not OK to have a Starbucks sign out front, with Starbucks goods inside. It is this selective emotional attachment that I resist. People apparently pick a select moment in time, and then anchor that in cement as the foundation for their emotional memory.

People claim to not want change, but the MSB has changed many times over already. So why are all the other changes good ones, but this particular change is bad? Why do people think that the refurbishment will be a disaster when no one raised a stink about this?

If you haven't yet listened to Pete's rant, please do. He assures us that the people at DL would NEVER put up with this change. But the picture above is of DL.

As to "What could go wrong", I think that I laid out that the worst case scenario would be an urban Starbucks. But that isn't going to happen and we all know it. It is going to be something far more in line with what exists now. The same? No. Agreeable? Probably. But it is difficult to use Spaceship Earth and Journey Into Imagination as example of what could go wrong. While certain nostalgia buffs may not think of those updates as improvements, rest assured that there are millions of visitors who enjoy those attractions as their memories and would hate to see them changed. The Old Guard can bark all it wants about how these changes were for the worse, but that is merely their opinion, and the changes have not stopped people from queing up and enjoying themselves. Personally, I thought the original Journey Into Imagination was an incomprehensible glop of crud. The current version? Better, but still in need of a fresh look. So one cannot simply look at the past and predict doom for the future. I don't know why it is so difficult to put a bit of faith in Disney to trust that they aren't going to transform turn-of-the-century Main Street into
BRA-VO SIR! Well said! If there was a LIKE button, I would be clicking it (repeatedly) right now!
GrumpyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #27
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #28
aspen37
Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes.

Yes it will, I'll be Way happier with my Latte in hand. I personally think the Bakery is the wrong location for the Starbucks. I would have walked back to New Fantasyland for my latte. I'm excited that I don't have to suffer with awful coffee anymore. I was thrilled to get my Starbucks at DCA and will be thrilled to get it at the MK too.

Backstage Magic Tour April 2010 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408048
aspen37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Will it affect my Magic Kingtom experience.... not in the least

It's a retail location that will now sell something different than what it sold before.
Personally, I love Starbucks coffee

My only mini-gripe is that I'll now have to walk back to Fantasyland to get my cinnamon bun (latte in hand) - I should probably RUN considering the calories in that yummy pastry

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #30
2manypets
DIS Veteran

@JimmyV, very, very well said. People are resilient and will get used to change. Good coffee is NOT a bad change and I just don't see Disney going the usual every neighborhood design of the coffee house.

It WILL fit with the theme of Main Street and I have a feeling that the lines will be even longer to get anything other than Nescafé in the parks. Bakery items will still be had at the Starbucks locations. I'm not quite sure I understand the negative connotations of this change.

2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: