Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
DaisyD
Nothing like crunchy milk in the morning!
Guess I'll be checking my swords with the luggage
I am a closet Ragamuffin eater!

Booked last minute trip help~

Hi, I just booked the Poly for Dec 3rd-7th. I have never booked so last minute and have no idea or time to find out things going on. I did see the Christmas party is on then so I booked that. Is this free dining or a crowded time? I dread if its free dining as I see I won't be getting into any of the popular restaurants that I may like. What are the chances for walk ups if needed? Anything else I need to know? Thanks!
DaisyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Sorry, I have no idea of what promos were offered for this time frame but you can look on the wdw web site or Mousesavers.com to find out.
I would book any restaurants in advance if there is any room left. And not count on getting in by walking up.
I don't think it will be a terribly crowded time, cause most kids are in school, but I'd still book any dining in advance.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
pixiemeg
Loving the Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyD View Post
Hi, I just booked the Poly for Dec 3rd-7th. I have never booked so last minute and have no idea or time to find out things going on. I did see the Christmas party is on then so I booked that. Is this free dining or a crowded time? I dread if its free dining as I see I won't be getting into any of the popular restaurants that I may like. What are the chances for walk ups if needed? Anything else I need to know? Thanks!
I don't think you are running into free dining you are there for Pop Warner tournament and taping of the Christmas day parade. Biggest factors will probably be the official opening of new fantasy land and re-open of new test track both on 12/6. No worries just use rope drop and fast passes. Pick your restaurants and make as many ADRs as you can and keep checking daily for openings. A couple of weeks ago, I booked a last minutes trip for 1-2 to 1/7/13 and have gotten all of my ADRs but one and I will keep trying for that last one even when we are there.

Good Luck!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
MikeRx
Mouseketeer

Try Something New!

I’d suggest going to www.easywdw.com for more information regarding your actual days and strategies. While crowds are lower this week you still need a plan and get as many ADRs as you can (as others have suggested). I hope you booked with a discount as there is a general public discount available through Disney.

If you can’t get your favorites be adventurous and try something new! Heck you booked late which was against your norm, so why not try a restaurant that isn’t on your regular list? www.touringplans.com and allears.net have great menu reviews in addition to Josh’s reviews on easyWDW.

Good luck and have a great time. We will be there just after you leave!

Mike DW DS (4) DMIL

First visit 1976, WDW 2/2010 BC CL, Disneyland GC 12/2010, WDW 4/2012 POLY TPV, WDW 7/2012 (off site meeting), WDW 12/12 POP and 4/2013 POLY with Disney Dream cruise!

and
MikeRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
DaisyD

Thanks all! The only discount I got was a AAA rate which is better then nothing. I didn't go for dining plan as I hate encouraging it and I don't think I'd use it all anyway with the lack of last minute restaurants. I will try to walk up to Ohana. Even during free dining they were taking walk ups so I have hope. We are only there 4 nights so it won't be too bad. Wow this is shortest trip to WDW that I've ever been on. Its a last minute anniversary trip and can't wait.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks all! The only discount I got was a AAA rate which is better then nothing. I didn't go for dining plan as I hate encouraging it and I don't think I'd use it all anyway with the lack of last minute restaurants. I will try to walk up to Ohana. Even during free dining they were taking walk ups so I have hope. We are only there 4 nights so it won't be too bad. Wow this is shortest trip to WDW that I've ever been on. Its a last minute anniversary trip and can't wait.
I agree about the discount....anything is better than nothing . For ADRs, I would keep checking for Ohana (and any other restaurant you want) right up until the time you leave, as well as while you are there. People cancel all the time and you never know when something might become available (especially with alot of places requiring a cc guarantee with cancellations having to be done at least 24 hours prior). For things to do, we always love touring the resorts, especially at Christmas time . Have a great trip.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Being on the dining plan is irrelevant as far as making ADRs goes. If you want to eat at a particular restaurant, you really should be making an ADR and not hoping to get a walk up. Especially at Ohana. That place will frequently turn away walkups unless you are standing in line at 4:30. You still have time to make ADRs, and hopefully will get into Ohana with a cancellation. OTOH, if you are happy with the idea of not getting into a restaurant, and just doing CS on some nights, then you can try to just wing it.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
DaisyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Being on the dining plan is irrelevant as far as making ADRs goes. If you want to eat at a particular restaurant, you really should be making an ADR and not hoping to get a walk up. Especially at Ohana. That place will frequently turn away walkups unless you are standing in line at 4:30. You still have time to make ADRs, and hopefully will get into Ohana with a cancellation. OTOH, if you are happy with the idea of not getting into a restaurant, and just doing CS on some nights, then you can try to just wing it.
The dining plan is relevant in terms of high bookings. I have gotten the dining plan once during free dining and it was impossible getting the restaurants I wanted and felt guilty that I didn't use all the credits. I won't be using that again if this was indeed a free dining time. Actually I didn't get it at all as I'm not a fan of it. I have every intention of trying to get my ADRS but will still have the option of walk up if needed. Ohana is booked all hours for entire trip so far. I don't see myself getting an ADR for it but will get one on walk up. Chances are better for walk up at this point then for an actual ADR there. I have signatures for rest of nights but really want Ohana once. There will be no CS for dinner in my future.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
nefritz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyD
I'm not sure by the replies if this is your question or not, but if so, this time was a free dining period, people booked in the fall. You should be able to pick up some good Adr's still if wanted. I've also been watching the December stickie for cancelations and there are some good ones coming up everyday for those dates!
nefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
sammielynn
DIS Veteran

Try for an ADR at the Grand Floridian Cafe, we love that place and it generally has plenty of spots.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: