Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #376
Skampigirl
To all who have come to this happy place, welcome!

5K Logistics Question

Good morning, fellow W&D runners! Wondered if you could help me with a logistics question. I'm staying at the Polynesian with friends for a few days before the race and plan to move to a host resort for the half. But one friend is leaving on Saturday morning and it seems silly to change resorts the night before. I would like to do the 5K though. Is it possible to get to AK that early in the morning if you're not at a host resort?

This is going to be a blast - first time for the W&D for me, so will celebrate C2C (Tinkerbell) with champagne and creme brule

September 2012 / Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10 miler and Mickey's Happy Haunted Trail 5K / Port Orleans Riverside -- January 2013 - Tinkerbell Half Marathon & Neverland 5K, Disneyland / Disneyland Hotel -- November 2013 - Jingle Jungle 5K & Wine & Dine Half Marathon - Port Orleans Riverside -- January 2014 - Girlfriend trip, WL CL -- April 2014 - Mom trip - Boardwalk Inn -- August 2014 - Trip of a Lifetime - Adventures By Disney Cowboys & Canyons (Arizona and Utah) !

Skampigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #377
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skampigirl View Post
Good morning, fellow W&D runners! Wondered if you could help me with a logistics question. I'm staying at the Polynesian with friends for a few days before the race and plan to move to a host resort for the half. But one friend is leaving on Saturday morning and it seems silly to change resorts the night before. I would like to do the 5K though. Is it possible to get to AK that early in the morning if you're not at a host resort?

This is going to be a blast - first time for the W&D for me, so will celebrate C2C (Tinkerbell) with champagne and creme brule
If you have a rental or take a taxi or share a ride with someone else from that resort, yes. Otherwise there is only transportation from host resorts to AK at that time of the morning.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #378
Skampigirl
To all who have come to this happy place, welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanigor View Post
If you have a rental or take a taxi or share a ride with someone else from that resort, yes. Otherwise there is only transportation from host resorts to AK at that time of the morning.
Thank you!! That's what I thought but wanted to be sure. Other than the Caribbean Beach, I've never stayed in any of the host resorts for W&D. Any favourites / recommendations?

Thanks again!

September 2012 / Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10 miler and Mickey's Happy Haunted Trail 5K / Port Orleans Riverside -- January 2013 - Tinkerbell Half Marathon & Neverland 5K, Disneyland / Disneyland Hotel -- November 2013 - Jingle Jungle 5K & Wine & Dine Half Marathon - Port Orleans Riverside -- January 2014 - Girlfriend trip, WL CL -- April 2014 - Mom trip - Boardwalk Inn -- August 2014 - Trip of a Lifetime - Adventures By Disney Cowboys & Canyons (Arizona and Utah) !

Skampigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #379
jeanigor

Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skampigirl View Post
Thank you!! That's what I thought but wanted to be sure. Other than the Caribbean Beach, I've never stayed in any of the host resorts for W&D. Any favourites / recommendations?

Thanks again!
I've stayed at Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club Villas and All Star Sports for Wine & Dine. There is a lot to be said about being able to walk through Epcot after your done at the after party and be at your room.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #380
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've stayed at Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club Villas and All Star Sports for Wine & Dine. There is a lot to be said about being able to walk through Epcot after your done at the after party and be at your room.
Unless you are so beaten up by the end that the walk from the front of epcot through the international gateway and over to your room at the boardwalk seems like it is the longest stretch you've traveled ever. in your whole life. including the 13 miles you just ran.

I laugh now, but if anyone happened to see me after the race that night, I was not laughing then. Not on the bench outside the bathrooms, or the curb in the UK, or those outside the international gateway or the EPSN club, or the Boardwalk lobby. I swear I did not think I was going to make it back to my room and I practically begged my DH to carry me. I would sit down, try not to get sick or pass out, get up, speedwalk as long as I could and then repeat. When I finally made it back to the room I got sick, felt immediately better and spent the next three days enjoying the parks!

Lessons learned:
1. Do NOT sprint the end of your race. Especially not starting immediately when you enter Epcot. I seriously underestimated both the kick that I would have left in me at 12.5 miles due to adrenaline and how far I still had to go to the finish line. Had I kept to my pace, I would probably have felt a LOT better after.

2. Do not stop moving and drink beer while waiting to have your medal engraved. Have someone else stand in line and do that for you while you keep moving.

3. If you plan to go to the after party pick a meeting spot on the spaceship earth side of the fountain. Although appreciated as a runner, the herding of spectators across the course meant that 20 min after running for hours, you could be standing around, packed like sardines with 100 of your new best friends, some of whom smell like they just ran 13 miles waiting to cross the course when all you really want to do is collapse and/or stretch.

That being said - I can't wait to do it again!

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #381
StarGirl11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanigor

I did my 2012 C2C through GET Travel as I didn't register for the Tinkerbell ½ soon enough.

No issues.

Port Orleans French Quarter is a moderate, so not the cheapest, but it is small. It may not be a host resort though.
It isn't a host resort unfortuanetly. I would book there in an instant if it was. It's my favorite resort. Only the Caribbean beach in the moderates is a host resort.

Still need suggestions. All stars is the only value host. Caribbean is too big for my comfort judging by the all ears map. So that leaves all stars, akl, boardwalk, and beach club I think.

Finished RunDisney Races: Princess 2012, Tinkerbell 2012-2014, Disneyland Half 2011-2012, Dumbo Double Dare 2013-2014, Wine and Dine 2013-2014, Avengers 2014, Disneyland 5k 2012 & 2014, WDW 5k 2012
Finished Races: Nike Women's Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Marathon 2011, Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon 2011, Santa Anita Derby 5k 2011-2014, Golden Gallop 10k 2013, Surf City 10k 2013, Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon 2011, Rock 'n' Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon 2011, 9/11 Remembrance Run Half Marathon 2011, Race On the Base 10k 2014, Innovation Run 5k 2014, Grand Prix of Running 10k, LA Quarter Marathon 2014, Wounded Warriors Half Marathon, and other races I am missing off the top of my head
StarGirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #382
hokuspocus
Earning My Ears

I would pick boardwalk out of those choices that way you can walk back after the race! We are trying to decide between boardwalk/dolphin/swan/yacht club!
hokuspocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #383
sillylily
DIS Veteran

Just remember that the "official" list of host resorts isn't out yet; the ones they have on runDisney's website are for last year and haven't been updated yet. They are really slacking on the W&D info, IMO.

sillylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #384
StarGirl11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylily View Post
Just remember that the "official" list of host resorts isn't out yet; the ones they have on runDisney's website are for last year and haven't been updated yet. They are really slacking on the W&D info, IMO.
Didn't realize that. Thanks for the info. Will keep that in mind and maybe keep my fingers crossed that they may add POFQ to this year's list. I consider it my 'home resort' and I would want to go back there more than anything.

Finished RunDisney Races: Princess 2012, Tinkerbell 2012-2014, Disneyland Half 2011-2012, Dumbo Double Dare 2013-2014, Wine and Dine 2013-2014, Avengers 2014, Disneyland 5k 2012 & 2014, WDW 5k 2012
Finished Races: Nike Women's Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Marathon 2011, Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon 2011, Santa Anita Derby 5k 2011-2014, Golden Gallop 10k 2013, Surf City 10k 2013, Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon 2011, Rock 'n' Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon 2011, 9/11 Remembrance Run Half Marathon 2011, Race On the Base 10k 2014, Innovation Run 5k 2014, Grand Prix of Running 10k, LA Quarter Marathon 2014, Wounded Warriors Half Marathon, and other races I am missing off the top of my head
StarGirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #385
sillylily
DIS Veteran

We're really hoping that they add POR, so I understand COMPLETELY! I so do not want to get stuck at CBR, the size of the resort is really intimidating.

Last edited by sillylily; 02-27-2013 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Grammatical Errors- Ain't Nobody Got Time For That!
sillylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #386
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja

So I'm sad to say count me out for the race. We've switched our dates to late October so no more half for me!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #387
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post
Unless you are so beaten up by the end that the walk from the front of epcot through the international gateway and over to your room at the boardwalk seems like it is the longest stretch you've traveled ever. in your whole life. including the 13 miles you just ran.

I laugh now, but if anyone happened to see me after the race that night, I was not laughing then. Not on the bench outside the bathrooms, or the curb in the UK, or those outside the international gateway or the EPSN club, or the Boardwalk lobby. I swear I did not think I was going to make it back to my room and I practically begged my DH to carry me. I would sit down, try not to get sick or pass out, get up, speedwalk as long as I could and then repeat. When I finally made it back to the room I got sick, felt immediately better and spent the next three days enjoying the parks!

Lessons learned:
1. Do NOT sprint the end of your race. Especially not starting immediately when you enter Epcot. I seriously underestimated both the kick that I would have left in me at 12.5 miles due to adrenaline and how far I still had to go to the finish line. Had I kept to my pace, I would probably have felt a LOT better after.

2. Do not stop moving and drink beer while waiting to have your medal engraved. Have someone else stand in line and do that for you while you keep moving.

3. If you plan to go to the after party pick a meeting spot on the spaceship earth side of the fountain. Although appreciated as a runner, the herding of spectators across the course meant that 20 min after running for hours, you could be standing around, packed like sardines with 100 of your new best friends, some of whom smell like they just ran 13 miles waiting to cross the course when all you really want to do is collapse and/or stretch.

Ditto! As soon as I crossed the finish line and found the DH, I burst out in tears, (why I STILL have no idea!), and swore I'd never do it again. Two weeks later, I couldn't wait to sign up again! Must have been all those crazy post-race chemicals bouncing around in my brain...

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #388
jeanigor

Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylily View Post
Seeing as how they just had the Princess ½ three days ago, I would expect more information to be available in the next week. Or the week registration opens at the latest.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #389
jeanigor

Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post

Lessons learned:

This past year, trekking out the the event transportation to the All Stars, standing and waiting in the cold after the party was in my opinion far worse than hobbling back to BWV and BCV the two years previous.

I am thinking about renting points and staying at Kidani Village. And renting a car. I didn't do that last year and really missed having freedom. RunDisney does a decent job with event transportation, but having my own wheels is soooooo much faster.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #390
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This past year, trekking out the the event transportation to the All Stars, standing and waiting in the cold after the party was in my opinion far worse than hobbling back to BWV and BCV the two years previous.
Do they have bag check like at all the other races? I anticipate taking a change of clothes/warmer stuff and putting it at bag check.

I'm not sure I like the idea of enjoying a party while still in my running gear.

We're hoping to stay at BWV but would be happy with AKV too. (provided they're still on the host list.....)

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: