Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #361
JustADreamAway
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by the antifanatic View Post
Good luck to you-be sure to do a least a 10k prior to the race. where in nj are you. I am in Manville!
Thank you! I am from Clifton (north Jersey) I am hoping to be able to do a 10k by June/July. Hopefully that gives me enough time to ramp up to 10 miles and then a half marathon...right now I feel like I am doing well compared to what I started at, but once the temperatures pick up, I'm afraid the heat will make it much harder

...There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away...
2012-Art of Animation/Pop Century 2012- Pop Century 2012-Port Orleans Riverside 2011-Pop Century 2010-All Star Movies 2009-Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006-Caribbean Beach Resort 2001-Caribbean Beach Resort 1998-Contemporary Resort 1996- Polynesian Resort 1993- Polynesian Resort 1991- Disney Inn
JustADreamAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #362
walkdmc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustADreamAway View Post
Count me in! W&D is going to be my first half marathon so I am pretty nervous. I just started training this month and will also be running the TOT 10 miler in October as practice before the 1/2 marathon. I started C25K and am planning to do the Jeff Galloway training program once I finish it. Any tips for a beginner runner would be greatly appreciated!
I used Jeff's program for the 2012 TOT run. The heat for that run was pretty tough, so even though November should be cooler, make sure you run outside in the months leading up to the race to get used to the heat.

At times, my iphone and particularly my JG app was hard to hear during the run. I never had a problem before but during the TOT run there are so many people and noise all around that it was hard to hear the beeps sometimes. So, I'd get the vibrating timer and clip it onto your wrist or bra strap and just listen to your tunes, if that's your style.

My biggest issue for TOT was figuring out how much to drink during the run. I planned on drinking electrolytes every other stop but it was so hot that I drank some 'lytes at every stop, along with some water. At some point in the last 3 miles, my stomach cramped from all the fluid. I don't know what I would do differently this time. I also found out with all that humidity, my toes swelled like sausages and my size 9 sneakers were killing my toes. I had to walk at the end due to pain in my toes. I trained and did as much as 12 miles in those same shoes, no issues. So, I've changed my "official" running shoe size to a 9.5. Keep in mind with humidity and heat, your digits may swell and your "perfect" shoes may feel snug.

Whew, long but hope you get something useful from the above.
walkdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #363
sillylily
DIS Veteran

So, the first place finisher (Rachel Booth) for the PHM today ran a 1:17. I am in complete awe of her right now!

sillylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #364
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebapple View Post
Did anyone notice that get travel is listing the marathon fee as 165? Has anyone ever run for C2C and booked through a travel provider? Didn't know if it caused any problems.
I did my 2012 C2C through GET Travel as I didn't register for the Tinkerbell ½ soon enough.

No issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGirl11 View Post
Never mind found the list. All right guys I need a hand here. Which resort is both the smallest and the cheapest (not including All-Stars in this)?
Port Orleans French Quarter is a moderate, so not the cheapest, but it is small. It may not be a host resort though.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #365
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Welcome Newbies!

For all you first time Half runners, the best tip I can suggest is the Jeff Galloway Training Program. He is one of the running gurus for runDisney and if you go to their website, I believe there is a link to his training schedules. I somewhat follow his run/walk/run program and have just modified it for my personal taste. I cranked out a 13 mile training run yesterday, and even though from my knees down felt like lead the last 2 miles, I was still able to finish with a kick. And something I never tried before, but have for the past couple of weeks after longer runs - ice baths. I just fill the tub with cool water, some Epsom salts, throw in a FEW ice cubes, hold my breath, and jump in. After sitting there for about 15-30 minutes (and warming up with a hot shower after!), my legs feel a WHOLE lot better than if I didn't do it! I feel great today and know the walk breaks during the run and the ice bath had alot to do with it. Plus, you have the upside of plenty of time to prepare!

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #366
Jenn310
Mouseketeer

My mom and I signed up for this at Princess expo this weekend! Got a free RunDisney bag for signing up early! I'm addicted!!
Now,to start working on costumes....lol
Jenn310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #367
yulilin3
Disney Freak

I really want to do this race this year, after getting bit by the run Disney bug, did the Royal family 5K last year, then Tower of Terror 10 Miler, and just did the Princess Half yesterday. And like a PP said they were registering people at the expo.
So here's my question from people that have done this particular race: Can you guys give me a list of characters that are available on the course...I loved all the characters and marching bands and enterntainment that was available during the Princess Half.
yulilin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #368
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulilin3 View Post
I really want to do this race this year, after getting bit by the run Disney bug, did the Royal family 5K last year, then Tower of Terror 10 Miler, and just did the Princess Half yesterday. And like a PP said they were registering people at the expo.
So here's my question from people that have done this particular race: Can you guys give me a list of characters that are available on the course...I loved all the characters and marching bands and enterntainment that was available during the Princess Half.
From what I remember (and this is by no means a complete list!), you have Chip and Dale, the dancing ostriches(?) from Fantasia, green army men from Toy Story, Pluto, Darth Vader, some other Toy Story characters (just don't remember which ones), and some funky light thingies from the SpectroMagic (or whatever they call it now). I only stopped for pictures with Chip and Dale and Pluto, but I'm sure someone else here can fill you in on others.

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #369
schoonersky
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustADreamAway

Thank you! I am from Clifton (north Jersey) I am hoping to be able to do a 10k by June/July. Hopefully that gives me enough time to ramp up to 10 miles and then a half marathon...right now I feel like I am doing well compared to what I started at, but once the temperatures pick up, I'm afraid the heat will make it much harder
Lol- this made me laugh! I am anxiously waiting for warmer temps, and when I read this realized that by July I will be hoping for cooler temps again! But this sub-zero Celsius and snow all around is getting on my nerves! Did a nice 6.5 km long slow run last night. My time was the pits but the good news is my shins didn't bother me today. Gonna have to pick it up though to stay in front of those time bunnies.

November 2013: Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon
March 2013 - Boston, MA-April 2012 - Boston, MA - March 2012 - Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica - July 2011 - Quebec City PQ - December 2010 - Disney Wonder and the Contemporary!! -August 2009 - POP Free Dining - August 2008 - POR Free DIning - March 1983 - Offsite
schoonersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #370
DCbride
DIS Veteran

As far as characters, I know Lumiere and Wreck It Ralph were there too. And some of the animals from the AK parade (stilt like puppets) There was 1 band that I noticed but no marching bands. I loved running through 3 parks- there is so much to see while running. Even the back areas of DHS were at least interesting.

My running buddy and I got into the Broad Street Run in Phila. It was a lottery- so I feel lucky. I am a bit nervous about it even though it is 3.2 miles less, I feel like there will be more "serious" runners and less "fun"

Disney Trips with the kids 1993 Poly 1995 BC 1996 Dixie Landings 1998 BC 2001 SoG 2004 SoG 2006 Dolphin 2008 Magic Villa 3, Mickey's Clubhouse 2009 CSR in March, April, Aug. Sept & Nov 2010 CSR, WL & WL CL, SoG 2011 SoG, CSR, SoG, Mariott, Kidani 2012 Marriott, BC, WLV/AoA 2013 Marriott, AoA, AoA 2014 Pop, Omni, BC, Bay Lake
DCbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #371
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

We're doing this in 2014. Our runDisney travel schedule is already full for 2013. DH did the full in January, I did the 5k. We're off to DLR in Sept. DH is doing the DDD and I'm doing the 10k.

If we stay at the BWV or BC , can we cut through Epcot to get to the start line?

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #372
DCbride
DIS Veteran

The start was at ESPN Wide World of Sports. But the race did end at Epcot and you could walk "home"

Disney Trips with the kids 1993 Poly 1995 BC 1996 Dixie Landings 1998 BC 2001 SoG 2004 SoG 2006 Dolphin 2008 Magic Villa 3, Mickey's Clubhouse 2009 CSR in March, April, Aug. Sept & Nov 2010 CSR, WL & WL CL, SoG 2011 SoG, CSR, SoG, Mariott, Kidani 2012 Marriott, BC, WLV/AoA 2013 Marriott, AoA, AoA 2014 Pop, Omni, BC, Bay Lake
DCbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #373
the antifanatic
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily 03 View Post
You are a WISHer, you will never be alone!
Can't wait for the race...btw, I do not like potato salad!
the antifanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #374
the antifanatic
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustADreamAway View Post
good luck w/ your training..I am sure you can do it! We will have to meet up in November!
the antifanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #375
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCbride
The start was at ESPN Wide World of Sports. But the race did end at Epcot and you could walk "home"
Thanks! I assumed it was a start and finish at Epcot like the January 1/2.

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: