Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #151
fozziepitysthefool
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst View Post
If I recall from last year, the Friday before the race was the first Very Merry Christmas. We went to MK the weekend before (for Fantasyland preview) and it was all Halloween, when went back the following week for W&D it was all Christmas.
That's great! I really hope to be able to do the same!
fozziepitysthefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #152
fozziepitysthefool
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanigor View Post
As for package vs hold out for free dining....I think it depends on what is important to you. Choice of resort? "Value" of money paid to Disney? I went with free dining last year. I could have gotten a better deal if I booked room only and paid OOP for food, but I was splurging for my birthday and spent the extra $30 to have set plans and stuff prepaid (if I have a TS credit and an ADR, I am far more likely to sit and enjoy a nice meal than if I were just walking around the park and wanted to eat.). I am also a huge fan of renting DVC points if you are not a DVC member.
We've been to Disney 5 times; four were at ASMu and once at AKL (that was a splurge!). This time I think we are aiming for CBR... We're not really looking for table dining, we found it hard to have to be somewhere at an exact time. I just pay OOP for a sit down meal or two (usually at AMC lol). I can't see the run Disney room/ticket package being cheaper than FD. I haven't looked into DVC yet for fear my brain may explode - seems so complicated!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #153
schoonersky
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozziepitysthefool
I haven't looked into DVC yet for fear my brain may explode - seems so complicated!
I used David's DVC to rent points way back on December 8th and was able to book a villa at the Boardwalk. Great deal really, I think it was about $750 for four nights. We are going to add dining plan, love booking my ADRs and looking forward to them. We have done Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside and the Contemporary (conference rate! LOL) and enjoyed them all.

I was finally able to get flights with our aeroplan points yesterday after two months of watching the site daily!!! So excited about that! So now we land late Wednesday night. Might book a night at Art of Animation for a treat- this is DH and I doing our first trip without kids (they are 13 and 11) so we deserve a treat! ;-)

November 2013: Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon
March 2013 - Boston, MA-April 2012 - Boston, MA - March 2012 - Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica - July 2011 - Quebec City PQ - December 2010 - Disney Wonder and the Contemporary!! -August 2009 - POP Free Dining - August 2008 - POR Free DIning - March 1983 - Offsite
schoonersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #154
lerxst
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebapple
What is the weather like usually for this race? Doing DDD and finishing up with w&d for c2c.
W&D was move into November last year to the end of Wine and Dine festival instead of the earlier October weekends closer to the beginning of the festival. Last year was nice weather...clear, no rain, right around 60 degrees at race time. Pleasant temps.

I don't remember being uncomfortable before or even after race.

Disney 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- Done!
Disney 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon -- Done!
2013 Gate River Run 15k -- March 9, 2013
Disney 2013 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- waiting reg
Disney 2014 Goofy and 1/2 Challenge -- waiting reg
lerxst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #155
lerxst
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonersky

I used David's DVC to rent points way back on December 8th and was able to book a villa at the Boardwalk. Great deal really, I think it was about $750 for four nights. We are going to add dining plan, love booking my ADRs and looking forward to them. We have done Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside and the Contemporary (conference rate! LOL) and enjoyed them all.

I was finally able to get flights with our aeroplan points yesterday after two months of watching the site daily!!! So excited about that! So now we land late Wednesday night. Might book a night at Art of Animation for a treat- this is DH and I doing our first trip without kids (they are 13 and 11) so we deserve a treat! ;-)
We stayed at AoA during marathon as booked through IRUN. Beautiful place (those the food court is kinda mediocre). As a runner the only problem I had were that the non-suite rooms were so far from the buses. It was such a painful walk from the bus stop to the King Triton building in the Little Mermaid area. We even ended up taking cab from building to dinner to avoid the lengthy walk (but that was after 26.2 miles).

Disney 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- Done!
Disney 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon -- Done!
2013 Gate River Run 15k -- March 9, 2013
Disney 2013 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- waiting reg
Disney 2014 Goofy and 1/2 Challenge -- waiting reg
lerxst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #156
wdwpluto
The TF looked all over but couldn't find the dollar under your pillow?? ;)
Ebay-ing our way to WDW

Count me in! I'm actually already registered because I had to defer my Donald entry due to injury.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #157
schoonersky
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst

We stayed at AoA during marathon as booked through IRUN. Beautiful place (those the food court is kinda mediocre). As a runner the only problem I had were that the non-suite rooms were so far from the buses. It was such a painful walk from the bus stop to the King Triton building in the Little Mermaid area. We even ended up taking cab from building to dinner to avoid the lengthy walk (but that was after 26.2 miles).
Might not be the best spot for a late arrival and early departure stay over. I just wanted to be able to take Magical Express to 'somewhere' and then move to the Boardwalk the next morning. I don't want to pay $300 for the pleasure of crashing at the Boardwalk that night, since we won't get there till 1am.

March 2013 - Boston, MA-April 2012 - Boston, MA - March 2012 - Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica - July 2011 - Quebec City PQ - December 2010 - Disney Wonder and the Contemporary!! -August 2009 - POP Free Dining - August 2008 - POR Free DIning - March 1983 - Offsite
Old 01-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #158
bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Tag Fairies DO have a lot of love to go around!

We're in - DH just ran the Goofy and we had such a great time he wanted to run the F&W 1/2 - so DGrD(9) and I decided to start training for our first 5K and do the Jungle Jingle
Booked AKV and made a new countdown - so it's official - let the training begin!

bjakmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #159
fozziepitysthefool
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonersky View Post
What better treat than Disney!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #160
MikeofRose&Mike
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirls View Post
DW will be there for the parks days before an after and of course the after party. She just started running so maybe a 5k with her.
Starting now should be plenty of time for her to get to 13.1 by november!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebapple View Post
What is the weather like usually for this race? Doing DDD and finishing up with w&d for c2c.
For those not from the south it will be warm/humid, but no sun beating down on you.

MikeofRose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #161
schoonersky
Mouseketeer

For those just starting out with training, newbies, etc. I was on Jeff Galloway's site last night and I see he has some new apps out in the iTunes Store. There's an Easy 5k (to get to 5k or improve your time in 7 weeks), there's and Easy 10k and there's a Half marathon version. It uses his Run Walk Run approach and (the best part IMHO) it uses YOUR music and beat-syncs it to the correct pace. I tried Cruise Control last week, a similar app but it doesn't recognize a lot of my running songs so I think I am going to try this one today.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #162
schoonersky
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjakmom
so DGrD(9) and I decided to start training for our first 5K and do the Jungle Jingle
Booked AKV and made a new countdown - so it's official - let the training begin!
My friend told me the other day that her girls love this 5k- it's their favorite (and they've been to them all I think) the medallion is very cool- tempted to try to get one for myself but I don't want to take a chance on missing out on the nighttime medal! Lol

Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #163
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

I am new to the RunDisney stuff... as this will be my first race. But, do you usually get a discount or something off room when you register? We booked Beach Club already at rack- Just wondering if I should expect to change it?

Thanks....
Tinker326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #164
Snelldog
Earning My Ears

They have room packages. I think it is at a discount, but your resort choices are limited to the host resorts. Of course, I'm new to this too, so don't take my word for it. Also, looking at the packages from last year, I'm not sure how great of a deal it is!
Snelldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #165
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja

I like how every race has updated dates on the runDisney site, but the wine and dine. The tinkerbell and full already have their 2014 dates up.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: