Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #1501
capeseal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleylmu View Post
A couple months ago I signed up for a 12 miler on aug 10th. What was I thinking?! I've been running 3 days a week consistently, but my longest distance has been 6 miles at about an 11:30 pace. Time has just flown by and now I'm worried I'll be under trained. I was going to start the run disney Galloway plan tomorrow for the W&D training, any suggestions on how I should adjust for the 12 miler? I'm doing the biggest loser 10k this weekend but feel like I should really try to get in some longer runs before 8/10. Help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbwright View Post
I just started running this year and don't know if this is the 'right' way, but I might add a mile each week. that would bring you to 10 the weekend before the race. That should be close. If you have gone that far, what is another 2 miles. But that is just me. Hopefully someone else has some advice to add.

Just wanted to say have a great time at the Biggest Loser race. I did the 1/2 (my first) in New York in June. It was a great time. Lots of on course support. It was neat to see past contestants. Good luck and let us know how you do!
Yes, I would increase your mileage by one mile per week. The adrenaline on race day should carry you the final two miles. You will be fine! You are already halfway there in your mileage. Just slow down a bit if you need to and you will absolutely be able to complete your race.
capeseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #1502
dmross
Coffee and the Castle? Happy times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugdoctor View Post
My wife and I are huge WDW fans and go to Food and Wine every year. I have registered for the W&D Half and am very excited/anxious about training for it. I'm a new runner (about 3 months) and plan to follow the Galloway Program posted on rundisney.com which starts this week (July 9). I've never competed in a race (run Hope for Haiti 5k next weekend) and certainly not run anywhere close to the 13.1 mile distance. My question for all of you is whether you believe a running/training group is necessary. There are groups in my area (St. Louis) but I travel quite a bit and question how many scheduled group runs I would be able to attend. Do you guys think a group is imperative for new runners? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
I do have a group that I started with as a novice. It was associated with the local track club and is full of mature, experienced runners of all types. I learned the same type of technique through this group that Galloway teaches. The group has helped me in the low times when I need some extra motivation. I'm a slow runner, so I'm often at the back of the group... BUT I think that running with better runners has helped me improve over time! Not imperative to be in a group, but it has advantages to becoming a stronger runner. One distinct plus is being able to monitor injury vs. overuse vs. poor training habits. For new runners, this can help keep you from getting injured as you increase mileage. It can also encourage you as you move through the initial discomfort of running. My group also chats on FB and emails a good bit, so even if I only work out with the group once every month or so, I am still in touch with the group.

Good luck! FUN FUN FUN!
dmross is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #1503
drugdoctor
Earning My Ears

Good Luck to everyone starting the Galloway Program today!! Calendar is at rundisney.com and EASILY exports to the calendar on your iPhone or iPad. Disney thinks of everything!
drugdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #1504
assisi811
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugdoctor View Post
My wife and I are huge WDW fans and go to Food and Wine every year. I have registered for the W&D Half and am very excited/anxious about training for it. I'm a new runner (about 3 months) and plan to follow the Galloway Program posted on rundisney.com which starts this week (July 9). I've never competed in a race (run Hope for Haiti 5k next weekend) and certainly not run anywhere close to the 13.1 mile distance. My question for all of you is whether you believe a running/training group is necessary. There are groups in my area (St. Louis) but I travel quite a bit and question how many scheduled group runs I would be able to attend. Do you guys think a group is imperative for new runners? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
I was in same boat as you when I ran the Princess last year. I did not join a running group, but I did use the Hal Higdon running plan faithfully. The Higdon plan is similar to Galloway, but there are more miles run on the weekends and less on weekdays so it fit better into my schedule.
assisi811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #1505
Livvys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugdoctor
Good Luck to everyone starting the Galloway Program today!! Calendar is at rundisney.com and EASILY exports to the calendar on your iPhone or iPad. Disney thinks of everything!
I did day one today ( I'm doing the "finishing upright" version)--- I have a terrible cold, but after some serious motivation from the fb women's running group I'm in, I went and did it. It wasn't pretty ( 2.25 miles in 30 min), but its in the books!! Good luck everyone!
Livvys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #1506
OregonGirl
I'm almost always either on-location, in the sound stage or in the editing suite.

OMG how is it already July 9th!!

I ran a 5K with a group over the weekend and realized just how much I have SLACKED with my fitness over the last several months. That ends today, dammit. I will try to do a daily check-in to stay motivated and I encourage anyone else who is struggling to do the same!

We can do it! See you all in 4 months exactly.

- Carey
OregonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #1507
Livvys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonGirl
OMG how is it already July 9th!!

I ran a 5K with a group over the weekend and realized just how much I have SLACKED with my fitness over the last several months. That ends today, dammit. I will try to do a daily check-in to stay motivated and I encourage anyone else who is struggling to do the same!

We can do it! See you all in 4 months exactly.

- Carey
It sure snuck up, didn't it?? We got this!!! see ya in 4 months!
Livvys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #1508
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

I'll motivate to get in a run later tonight. That is the goal at least. Right now I want to curl up and go to bed. I only got 3-1/2 hours of sleep last night. I'm really tired

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #1509
pix13dust
DIS Veteran

Got my run in tonight! It was hot and ridiculously humid. I went slow but then i always go slow, lol!
Good luck everyone, see you in a few months
Melinda
pix13dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #1510
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

Random question - is there a course map somewhere?

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
Old 07-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #1511
dmross

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen View Post
Random question - is there a course map somewhere?

I haven't seen the 2013 map yet. The description of the course on the RunDisney website sounds VERY similar to the 2012 course. Last year we spent a ton of time in the parks... Wonderful course!

RunDisney didn't post the map last year until closer to race date.

Last edited by dmross; 07-09-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: unclear sentence
Old 07-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #1512
drugdoctor
Earning My Ears

Just finished day 1 of Galloway training. I'm with you Melinda and Carey, didn't want to do it. Heat index is still 96 degrees!! Took it sow (per usual) but its in the books! Game on everybody, we got this.
drugdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #1513
dmross

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggielawyer View Post
Two questions for those in the know:

1) How much time should we budget on Friday for the expo. I'm running with my SIL and she seems to think it will be in and out, but I'm thinking it will take a couple of hours (including transportation time) to get our packets, even without shopping. We won't have a car, so we'll be relying on Disney transportation.

2) How far in advance do you need to be at the race?
I've been to the expo late Friday afternoon (3:30) and although it stays busy, it didn't take a ton of time to get the packets. You park in the ESPN lot, walk about 150 yds to the Expo. Head down to registration which took me 15 minutes max. Lots of Cast Members showing you where to go, etc. I spent about another 20 minutes looking at the Expo.

We stayed at All Star Sports last year and used Disney transportation to get to the race. There are VERY specific details posted on the RunDisney site when we get closer to the race date. You'll get to the race on time if you use the race transportation from a host resort. Both years that I have run, I felt like I spent my entire Saturday afternoon and evening prepping and traveling to the starting line. Ate supper early (4:30 or 5), traveled back to the resort, got situated with my check bag and bib, etc. and then it was about time to get on the bus (7 pm). With the Disney buses, you can go really early or catch the later buses. I get antsy, so I'd rather do my waiting at the starting area.

Hope this is helpful! Are you staying at a host resort?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #1514
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

I did it. I didn't want to but I knew if I could just get out of door I would be okay and I was right. 40min 3.4 miles.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #1515
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

YUCK!! I woke up yesterday with a sore throat and figured it is just my allergies acting up. I went out for a run in the "hot" (mid-80's) and humid (90%) weather and did 3.35 in just under 40 minutes. I used my hydration belt and ate a little before I went out. I finished with a sub-12-minute pace (right around 11:45) so I am pretty happy with that.

When I got home, I took a look at my throat....yup...there's that familiar gunk. Ugh! I am sure it's strep throat since I just had it on Mother's Day. Fortunately, I know what it is this time so I called my doctor right away instead of letting it fester for 4 days. Of course, the doctor has to *see* it and swab it to *confirm* that it is strep before they will prescribe any antibiotics. The next opening they had for me to get in isn't until TOMORROW. The pain is still tolerable, but this morning, I noticed that the gunk is now on both tonsils, not just the right one, and my lymph nodes are getting swollen and sore. I still don't have a fever (spiked at 103 last time, but that was on day 4) and I feel OK. I just wish I could get on the antibiotics NOW instead of waiting, but I don't want to spend 3 hours at an urgent care center if I don't have to. SO frustrating! Hopefully this bout won't knock me down as bad as the last time. I think that my last episode of strep was so bad because the gunk didn't show up until the third day of sore throat so I didn't immediately realize what it was. By the time I did, I had the fever, fatigue, swollen neck and severe pain in my throat which is what forced me to the Urgent Care at 8am on Mother's day.

I have to work all weekend (hopefully) so it will be very hard to get in any running over the next 5 days. I can't short my sleep too much, especially since I will be fighting strep, but I plan on staying super-hydrated and I will try to get in a few short runs (1-2 miles) just to stay motivated.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: