Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #16
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Wow, the response has been impressive in support of the POR!! I am glad I asked about this resort for two reasons: The first, I failed to realize Thanksgiving was so late next year as noted by a post; no big deal but we will leave the next day instead of that Thursday. The second, I didn't realize Pop Warner uses the CSR as one of their resorts and would be a real turn off. We are still going to head down to WDW for that week, however with it now being the week of Thanksgiving I won't count on Disney releasing any discount promo's for the week.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #17
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

I've stayed at CSR and POR many, many times. I've only stayed at POFQ once, last year. Going on my personal preferences, I'd rate my choices in this order...

1. CSR
2. POFQ
3. POR

CSR IS my home away from home. I love how different the resort looks from day to night. I love the theming. I think the Casitas are just so beautiful at night with the lights and the fountains. The Dig Site pool is amazing. I enjoy the lunch buffet at the Pepper Market. The quiet pools are all very nice too. I really like that you get separate shampoo and conditioner, body gel and body lotion in the room.

POFQ is very charming and compact. I don't like that there is only 1 choice for swimming, unless you want to go to POR to swim and we found the food court very loud. The shampoo is a combo of shampoo and conditioner and they do not give you body lotion or shower gel. There wasn't as much storage space as CSR. But those are the only "bad" things I have to say about POFQ. It's so nice to have the boat to DTD! We booked a carriage ride around the resort. Everything is very close to your room. It's just a short walk to the pool, boat dock, food court and bus stop.

POR is spread out like CSR. I'd love to try a princess room sometime! At one time, this was my favorite resort.
lovethattink is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #18
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4prez View Post
Wow, the response has been impressive in support of the POR!! I am glad I asked about this resort for two reasons: The first, I failed to realize Thanksgiving was so late next year as noted by a post; no big deal but we will leave the next day instead of that Thursday. The second, I didn't realize Pop Warner uses the CSR as one of their resorts and would be a real turn off. We are still going to head down to WDW for that week, however with it now being the week of Thanksgiving I won't count on Disney releasing any discount promo's for the week.
I believe promos start the Saturday after Thanksgiving. They usually offer the free dining for the week after Thanksgiving, and then no discounts for Pop Warner week. Leaving the day after Thanksgiving, you may not be able to get a discount but if you can keep your dates flexible, you may be able to get a discount if you can push your arrival date out a few days.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #19
goofy4prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
I believe promos start the Saturday after Thanksgiving. They usually offer the free dining for the week after Thanksgiving, and then no discounts for Pop Warner week. Leaving the day after Thanksgiving, you may not be able to get a discount but if you can keep your dates flexible, you may be able to get a discount if you can push your arrival date out a few days.
Unfortunately we will not be able to be very flexable with the dates. By leaving on Friday instead of Thursday we will end up staying for 6 nights instead of 7. As for getting the discount; I'm guessing it would be possible to book the first night as room only and then on Saturday begin a 5 night stay that would include free dining if offered.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
Old 11-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #20
turftoega
Family sherpa and pack mule

I've stayed at all of the properties listed. Because my choices and preferences are probably not the same, I was wondering -

will you be using the buses to get around or to supplement your transportation?
how often do you expect to eat a meal at the resort rather than eating at a park?
you mentioned your rehab - do you want/like to take long walks?
As it is just the two of you, will you be thinking about a King room?

We're just back from CSR. Really enjoyed it. But I would suggest POR for you based on the Pop Warner football issue. If walking is not what you want, POFQ gets the bump. You really should not have a "bad" choice here as all properties (including the not listed CBR) are wonderful places to stay during a visit to WDW.

turftoega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #21
jnoble82
Mouseketeer

If you stay at POFQ, I'll be there too for some of your dates! Well unless I change my mind again which could happen . I'm so excited! Whatever you chose, I hope its a great trip!!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #22
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4prez View Post
What better place to ask for advice than from all of you on the DIS. I have looked over the pics, read the resort links, and I even walked some of the property at CSR back in 2010. With that said, I am at an absolute standstill between CSR, POR, POFQ. The problem is I like all three of them.

We will be heading back to WDW after a long 3 year hiatus from "home." Over the past couple of years it's been a long recovery from an serious auto accident for me, the selling of my long time business, a daughter entering high school, future college costs, my mother fighting cancer and a younger brother unexpectantly (45) passing away. Thru it all though, I can still say I am blessed. With all of that said, we are going to have to cut a few corners on this trip. Normally we would just head for our favorite resort, WL, especially during the holiday season.

We will be heading back November 28, 2013 till December 5, 2013. For this trip it will be just my DW and Myself. My DD will be heading down with her high school marching band and staying elsewhere and we would love to see her march in the parade. She would still be in WDW with her friends away from her parents, and mom and dad can have a little time together alone as well.

Alright, I have rambled on long enough; my fellow DIS'ers help me out here. Which moderate should I choose? I want to hear about all the ins and outs. Why you like them and why you would recommend or not recommend it. What locations and rooms would you recommend? Is getting a water or river view worth it? Would you pay to have a preferred location and etc? Even if Disney ends up releasing a promo discount later next year for when we are booked we are still staying moderate this year.
Well, you know what my answer would be!

Seriously, it's the only one we've stayed at because we love it. If we were doing a moderate again and couldn't get CSR, POR-Riverside would be our only other choice (not a fan of POFQ's theme at all).

I think Pop Warner gets moved as far as moderates every year. We will be at CSR in 21 days with the Pop Warner kids.

And, as you and I have talked over the last three years, let me say I am delighted you are going back to Disney, and that things have improved for you and yours.

Last edited by KatMark; 11-15-2012 at 10:47 PM.
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #23
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

CSR hands down. I usually stay deluxe but recently tried both POR and CSR .

I found POR to be overcrowded and it really felt like a huge step down from
deluxe, whereas at CSR (other than monorail : boat options to parks) I felt it had a very deluxe feel to it. More relaxed and upscale than other MODs.

I still prefer deluxe but would not hesitate to stay in CSR again
Butterflygirl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 AM   #24
Robbi
DIS Veteran

We usually stay either deluxe or because we're DVC members, in a villa. Because we love CSR so much though, we will often book there on weekends because DVC requires more points on Sat. and Sun.. There is nothing about CSR that we don't like.
The others are veryr nice too.
Ranked:
CSR- great transportation, great food, lovely rooms and grounds, queen beds, fairly close to the parks, fantastic staff

POR- Princess themed rooms, boats to DTD, fairly close to parks

POFQ- Queen beds, small resort, very pretty resort, boats to DTD, fairly close to parks

CBR- least favorite- still has double beds, massive resort
While CSR is large, it's easy to walk around, which is not the case at CBR. It does have those fabulous pirate themed rooms though.

FT Wilderness cabins- tons of space, quiet and restful, lots for kids to do, boat to MK, Hoop de Doo Revue and Chip and Dale movies with s'mores
It is more expensive than the other mods.

Last edited by Robbi; 11-16-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:34 AM   #25
goofy4prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Well, you know what my answer would be!

Seriously, it's the only one we've stayed at because we love it. If we were doing a moderate again and couldn't get CSR, POR-Riverside would be our only other choice (not a fan of POFQ's theme at all).

I think Pop Warner gets moved as far as moderates every year. We will be at CSR in 21 days with the Pop Warner kids.

And, as you and I have talked over the last three years, let me say I am delighted you are going back to Disney, and that things have improved for you and yours.

Kat, your opinion on CSR is one of the big reasons why I am considering CSR. Our last visit to WDW we did walk around CSR to look at the property knowing how much you and Mark enjoy this resort. It was huge, but I have to admit it looked awesome. Also, I thank you for the kind words and support over the last few years, they have meant a lot. By the way I am with you on POFQ, I'm just not excited about the theme either.

I appreciate all the input from everyone as to which moderate to choose. I love the DIS and all of you are incredible. In the words of a great television character, Vinnie Barbarino, "I'm so confused." I guess I'm going to have to really make a decision here in the next few days. I have a feeling either way I will enjoy either one.

I should note though walking is not a problem as a few enquired. My accident has now been over a year ago and I am having no problems and am completely healed. In fact, it helped me to realize I needed to lose weight, make some better health choices, and to get into shape. I am thrilled to say I have lost 114 pounds the healthy way and at 48 years old I am in the best shape of my life.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: