Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #136
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Think about the answers to the very first question I posed. How many people do you know that need to work to have a roof over their head and to feed their family would be in a position to say they could move anywhere and do any job? Do not include people who are independently wealthy & would not need to work to support said family. Makes zero sense.

School districts do not ask their best and brightest to leave. They may not be able to grant parents' demands to bring in MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, Harvard and Princeton curriculum, complete with the professors to teach the material to a prodigy, but I'll be dipped if they'll ask a student to leave on the basis of over achievement. I think we'd be reading about that on the front page of the New York Times as quick as a lawyer could be retained & twittering the tale off into cyberspace.

I don't disagree with your assessment of educational budgets these days, as a matter of fact I'm keenly aware of them as the parent of freshmen in both HS & college this year. I strongly question the tale we're being peddled here, with what can generously be described with curious grammar and spelling to boot.

QUOTE=Nancyg56;47312879]It is probably financial. School systems are choosing between art, sports and security these days. Class sizes are getting larger and services are reduced. I have no idea what this district is doing and if they have met their obligations legally but I do know that it may be very difficult to justify the spending on one child that jeopardize resources to many.

I don't now if that is the case but I am willing to bet that may be a great deal of the districts concern.

I have a DGD in middle school and have always supported educational expenses through higher taxes. I have been watching our school system try to juggle rising costs and and a stagnant budget and honestly, they do a very good job. Our community is extremely supportive. I would have a very hard time if the arts and after school athletics were cut so that one child could have an extraordinary education. I do believe that parents are responsible for providing for their children if they require more than the school district can provide such as teh kind of classes this child needs.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by cabanafrau; 01-26-2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Tried to fix wonky display of the quote. Site not operating properly.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #137
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy76 View Post
Finally decided to weigh in - lawyers? Please let that go. The school may not be stellar but I'd assume it does follow the NYS Board of Regents guidelines for a diploma. Schools are NOT obligated to go any further - not here in NY.

As for your reference to Johns Hopkins, if I'm inferring right, please be aware that they've had middle schoolers take the PSAT and/or SAT for decades. I did it in the late 80s. Do not assume that's unusual just because it's unusual in your community. They largely do it as a marketing tool for their summer and online programs. The year I took it (probably 7th grade?) we had dozens of kids from my school taking the exam (graduating class of about 500). As others have said, you may find that your DD is actually a relatively average kid among the honors/accelerated kids at a larger district. So in that regard, I'm glad to hear you're making plans to move - I'm sure a larger district will be a better fit for her with more opportunities and more kids she can relate to. Good luck!
I have to agree. In the OP's first post she said her daughter was taking Algebra and Biology as an 8th grader, this was unusual, gifted for her school.

In our district, not just school, Algebra and Biology are the standard courses, not the honors track. Algebra 1 is required for moving on from 8th grade.

Honors track here would be advanced Geometry and the super honors track, where the kids go to the high school for courses would be Algebra 2 and above. The ones considered super bright kids like the OP's are the ones taking Calc 1 in 8th grade. Otherwise you are just amongst the bright/pushed kids, where you certainly would not be the only one on this track. In our middle school, there are so many kids taking Algebra 2 and above at the high school that they actually need a small bus to take them over there (class of 300).

Last edited by Hrhpd; 01-26-2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: uggh - hate grammar and spelling mistakes
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #138
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrygal View Post
She hears about schools that has other courses and activities. she wants those kinds of classes.

She made a list for the school of classes that she wants to take during high school and now they r coming up with a plan to see if they can incorperate some of them.
sounds to me like oP is in a small town with limited school opportunities it also sounds to me like she's got a bright motivated kid,who for whatever reason,feels like she has nothing in common with schoolmates. So what is wrong with OP asking for advice here,about possible school ideas? I don't think OP ever said her kid was the ONLY smart kid in the world, she just believes she's bright enough to need more than she's getting now. I think that's good- I have a feeling that a lot of folks on these msg. boards feel that same way about their own offspring...
Op, another fun option might local community college courses, she can pick and choose,learn a lot,and see what else interests her!
it can be a nice intro to learning,is close to home,and can help her see what she really likes when thinking about careers,etc.
(FWIW,you don't have to have a 'gifted' kid to try courses at community college,just a bright kid who might be interested in more than the average classroom)
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #139
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post

In our district, not just school, Algebra and Biology are the standard courses, not the honors track. Algebra 1 is required for moving on from 8th grade.

agreed. my kids were well versed in basic algebra by 10-11 years old.
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #140
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Hey OP,

I just wanted to say sorry that so many people turned this thread into a discussion of whether they thought your DD was gifted or not. I think you have handled yourself very well especially considering many of the responses.

It seems to me that the school system you are in is not a good fit for your DD, but you already know that, which is why you asked for any suggestions on better schools. People ask for recommendation for better schools all the time on here when they are moving to a new area, I'm not sure why you were attacked for doing so. I really hope that you find a place with more opportunities for your DD next year.

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #141
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeo View Post
Hey OP,

I just wanted to say sorry that so many people turned this thread into a discussion of whether they thought your DD was gifted or not. I think you have handled yourself very well especially considering many of the responses.

It seems to me that the school system you are in is not a good fit for your DD, but you already know that, which is why you asked for any suggestions on better schools. People ask for recommendation for better schools all the time on here when they are moving to a new area, I'm not sure why you were attacked for doing so. I really hope that you find a place with more opportunities for your DD next year.
I don't think anybody attacked the OP for believing her child was gifted. What I have seen is just giving her some insight that her small school may be giving her a false sense of what some of the bigger districts are doing.

If Algebra 1 and Biology is considered too far above her district's abilities to teach and is considered high honors for an 8th grader, then yes, she should move.

As I mentioned, in our district, Algebra 1 and Biology in 8th grade is the requirement for the average 8th grader, not some astronomical achievement by an 8th grader as her district believes.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #142
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
I don't think anybody attacked the OP for believing her child was gifted. What I have seen is just giving her some insight that her small school may be giving her a false sense of what some of the bigger districts are doing.

If Algebra 1 and Biology is considered too far above her district's abilities to teach and is considered high honors for an 8th grader, then yes, she should move.

As I mentioned, in our district, Algebra 1 and Biology in 8th grade is the requirement for the average 8th grader, not some astronomical achievement by an 8th grader as her district believes.
Also, French 1 would be too. My ds in 7th is taking French 1, it is half a credit so in 8th he will take French 1 and get the other half credit, provided they pass the regents exam at the end of the year in 8th grade. 8th grade students (who pass that test) will have 1 full year of Regents foreign language credit and move onto (insert) foreign language 2 as 9th graders. My dd took Spanish 1 in middle school, and is taking Spanish 2 as a Freshman, along with all of her classmates. I am in NYS.
Of course the OP mentioned that her dd is 11, which is very young for an 8th grader so I don't doubt she is gifted, but what she is doing in 8th is pretty much standard for 8th graders.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #143
TinkTock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
I would have a very hard time if the arts and after school athletics were cut so that one child could have an extraordinary education. I do believe that parents are responsible for providing for their children if they require more than the school district can provide such as teh kind of classes this child needs.
I agree with this. Our schools are spending more and more money on fewer kids, while the rest do without. We need to move to a one-size-fits-all education system, and parents should provide whatever else they think their kids need.
TinkTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #144
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Ghost thread

...but other than that I seriously doubt the veracity of this story.

Mom has a job that will easily move anywhere in the country, and the financial ability to do so, and the financial means to pay for any school, and prep schools are about $40,000 a year. The spelling and grammar are.... interesting.

Even if the above were true, I think the OP is greatly over estimating her prodigy's ability. I took algebra I in 8th grade, about a million years ago. My daughter took Algebra I in 8th grade, she is an average student. PSAT in 8th grade is normal. My kids started foreign languages in the 2nd grade. I am quite sure no school would ever say they didn't want a child, who has no behavior issues, in their district. I also doubt that a typically developing adolescent would want to move away from her friends.

If this is true, which I have my doubts, it sounds more like a big fish in a small pond. Mom sees a smart kid, in a small school district and thinks she is brilliant, and, in turn, bugs the school to death. The school, in turn, says that they are doing all they can. I think maybe in a more competitive school there is going to be a very rude awakening.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #145
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug
Ghost thread

...but other than that I seriously doubt the veracity of this story.

Mom has a job that will easily move anywhere in the country, and the financial ability to do so, and the financial means to pay for any school, and prep schools are about $40,000 a year. The spelling and grammar are.... interesting.

Even if the above were true, I think the OP is greatly over estimating her prodigy's ability. I took algebra I in 8th grade, about a million years ago. My daughter took Algebra I in 8th grade, she is an average student. PSAT in 8th grade is normal. My kids started foreign languages in the 2nd grade. I am quite sure no school would ever say they didn't want a child, who has no behavior issues, in their district. I also doubt that a typically developing adolescent would want to move away from her friends.

If this is true, which I have my doubts, it sounds more like a big fish in a small pond. Mom sees a smart kid, in a small school district and thinks she is brilliant, and, in turn, bugs the school to death. The school, in turn, says that they are doing all they can. I think maybe in a more competitive school there is going to be a very rude awakening.
Agree with everything you said.

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #146
cntrygal
DIS Veteran

OP here....just wanted to post an update for all of those whose responded to the thread especially the doubters of her abilities.

My daughter just recieved her college acceptance. She will be pre med major in the fall. The acceptance came with a hefty academic scholarship. She will be 13 when she goes.

me
DS 22
DD 12

first trip Nov 2006 all stars music
cancelled trip nov 07 - long story
nov 08 - all stars music
Surprise BDay Trip Jan 11 - Pop
cntrygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #147
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
OP here....just wanted to post an update for all of those whose responded to the thread especially the doubters of her abilities. My daughter just recieved her college acceptance. She will be pre med major in the fall. The acceptance came with a hefty academic scholarship. She will be 13 when she goes.
Bless her heart. I hope it works out for her.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #148
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

That's impressive! The two-year plan became a one year plan and then the new district mapped out her next four years into one year of HS and onto college. What an incredible trajectory!
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #149
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OP here....just wanted to post an update for all of those whose responded to the thread especially the doubters of her abilities.

My daughter just recieved her college acceptance. She will be pre med major in the fall. The acceptance came with a hefty academic scholarship. She will be 13 when she goes.
That's great if that is what she wants to do.. but I'm still confused. So what is the highest math she has taken to go to pre-med? You said before she was in Algebra 1. Has she now done geometry and Alg. 2? Is she just going to skip all of HS?

My DD skipped a grade and is 14 in 10th grade. By the time she graduates at 17 she will have taken through Calculus 3. She will have Bio, Chem, Earth Science, Physics (and two other years that she's not sure yet.) Many, many kids take algebra and bio in 8th grade. Actually, both of my kids took Algebra I in 7th with quite a few of their peers. So my DD was the same age as yours.

I have no doubt that your DD is very advanced but this just doesn't make sense to me. Is pre-med a major? I thought you usually majored in something else and then applied to medical school? (Not sure though.. not my field.)

Good luck!

Last edited by zoemurr; 12-12-2013 at 07:40 PM.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #150
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

What school is she going to?

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: