DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Kwaschitz
Mouseketeer

Question re: DVC & APs

I'm running numbers again as we approach end-of-the-year bonus time to determine if this is FINALLY the year that we buy in.

We are a family of 3, however my mom will almost always travel to WDW with us. Would we be able to purchase an AP for her at the DVC owner's rate as we would for the 3 of us?
Kwaschitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaschitz
I'm running numbers again as we approach end-of-the-year bonus time to determine if this is FINALLY the year that we buy in.

We are a family of 3, however my mom will almost always travel to WDW with us. Would we be able to purchase an AP for her at the DVC owner's rate as we would for the 3 of us?
Only if she lives at the same address as you.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Kwaschitz
Mouseketeer

Crud - I was afraid of that. My dad passed away this past summer and mom's plan had been to spend about half her time with us and half her time in my hometown (where my grandparents and my brother also live) so she would keep her primary residence there.

Follow up question...is it possible to have her listed on the deed? I have no issue with doing that if it could be done.
Kwaschitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaschitz View Post
Crud - I was afraid of that. My dad passed away this past summer and mom's plan had been to spend about half her time with us and half her time in my hometown (where my grandparents and my brother also live) so she would keep her primary residence there.

Follow up question...is it possible to have her listed on the deed? I have no issue with doing that if it could be done.
Her portion of the timeshare becomes part of her estate when she dies or goes to nursing home.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Keep in mind that the AP discount, like all discounts and perks, is not part of your membership. Discounts come and go all the time, so don't include them in your purchase decision. Just look at your lodging expenses.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
spears2008
Earning My Ears

We just recently closed on a 50 point BWV contract with 6 names on the deed to allow our extended family and one close friend to take advantage of the DVC membership perks, including the PAP discount.

One thing to be aware of: it takes about 6-8 weeks to close a resale DVC contract, so the current PAP deal that expires on 12/31/12 will be expired before you become a new DVC member through resale. You can buy direct, but any savings you are expecting for the PAP deal will quickly be eaten up by the higher buy-in rate. There maybe another AP discount available in the new year, but you never know if it will be worth it or not.

The earlier posters who stated that your contract will be part of your mother's estate when she dies is correct, but you can elect "right of survivorship" on the deed and avoid probate. There is no significance to your mother entering into a nursing home as was previously stated... unless she becomes incapaciated and someone is appointed as her guardian. Then the guardian would have the authority to manage the DVC membership for her benefit. I see this as a small risk assuming you are her closest relative.
** I'm a probate attorney and may be able to provide you with general info if you have specific questions, though I'm not providing you legal advice and I'm not your lawyer [typical lawyer cya language!]

We bought our loaded 50 point contract just to get us in the door with access to the discounts. We weren't planning on buying a large amount of points until we tried DVC out, but ended up offering on a 220 point BLT contract a few weeks later when we found a good deal. We aren't putting everyone's names on this contract because it is a much larger amount of capital invested. Therefore, we'll have different membership numbers and a different UY to deal with. This may be a hassle, but will protect our dvc asset from being in jeopardy if any of the people we put on the small BWV deed falls into bankruptcy or has other liability issues (such as an at-fault car accident).

... just a few things to think about when adding other family members to your deed.
spears2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by spears2008 View Post
We just recently closed on a 50 point BWV contract with 6 names on the deed to allow our extended family and one close friend to take advantage of the DVC membership perks, including the PAP discount.

One thing to be aware of: it takes about 6-8 weeks to close a resale DVC contract, so the current PAP deal that expires on 12/31/12 will be expired before you become a new DVC member through resale. You can buy direct, but any savings you are expecting for the PAP deal will quickly be eaten up by the higher buy-in rate. There maybe another AP discount available in the new year, but you never know if it will be worth it or not.

The earlier posters who stated that your contract will be part of your mother's estate when she dies is correct, but you can elect "right of survivorship" on the deed and avoid probate. There is no significance to your mother entering into a nursing home as was previously stated... unless she becomes incapaciated and someone is appointed as her guardian. Then the guardian would have the authority to manage the DVC membership for her benefit. I see this as a small risk assuming you are her closest relative.
** I'm a probate attorney and may be able to provide you with general info if you have specific questions, though I'm not providing you legal advice and I'm not your lawyer [typical lawyer cya language!]

We bought our loaded 50 point contract just to get us in the door with access to the discounts. We weren't planning on buying a large amount of points until we tried DVC out, but ended up offering on a 220 point BLT contract a few weeks later when we found a good deal. We aren't putting everyone's names on this contract because it is a much larger amount of capital invested. Therefore, we'll have different membership numbers and a different UY to deal with. This may be a hassle, but will protect our dvc asset from being in jeopardy if any of the people we put on the small BWV deed falls into bankruptcy or has other liability issues (such as an at-fault car accident).

... just a few things to think about when adding other family members to your deed.
Any future purchases not deeded the same will be separate contract numbers. Some problems with that is you cannot combine points from two different contracts to book a single night. You can transfer from one contract to another, but I have always been told that uses up my once a year transfer. Others have been told differently.

Hopefully your close friend will not have any problems financially either because your 50 point contract now becomes part of her/his estate should she/he need to file bankruptcy or should she/he die.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: