Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #31
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Just wanted to point out that "wristbands" don't necessarily need to be on your wrist. If they aren't comfortable for you, just put them on your belt/backpack/etc.

I'm thinking that there will be other methods available for paying for food and souvenirs in the parks and resorts. They have thousands of non-resort guests to deal with and those people won't have a wristband thing.
My thinking is that when you check in you get your band and set up your charging account and PIN number. Then at the restaurants and stores there will be check out areas for those using the RFID to pay with and those that are not.

I am sure Disney will try to say that using RFID will be faster etc, etc. as a perk for staying on property.

Plus even if it is available at the resort, many people do not set up room charge and I seriously doubt they are not going to let people continue to use cash or credit cards.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #32
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesgirl View Post
Is this just for room access?
Just the doors while we were there.
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #33
consumermonkey
Mouseketeer

OK, looks like a lot of confusion.

THE WRISTBANDS: They seem to be a silicone type band like someone said, a bit like the yellow livestrong ones. Each has an unique chip that identifies the wearer/owner as an account on the system. What that account does depends on what you have paid for (room, meals, tickets, more etc).

There has been RFID tech floating around theme parks for a few years. In the UK at Alton Towers, I experienced having a wristband which identified when I was on a ride and would video me (or whoever was wearing the band) so at the end of my day I could buy a DVD with stock video of all the rides with my specific ride edited into it.

This is just the start apparently. There are potential identity issues as whoever owns the tech can potentially "see" where each wristband is located etc, but swings and roundabouts on that one. In exchange for Disney knowing where and when you are, there could be extra magic. Kinda like ET knowing your name at the end of the ride at USF, the system COULD have Jack Sparrow mention your name but without having to tell anyone your name as it is already in the system, in a meet and greet, maybe one of the voice characters would refer to you by name without asking or if it is on the system, your favorite colour, town etc.

The pin thing is security in exactly the way a PIN or signature is used on charge or credit cards. (UK went chip and pin with charge and credit a few years ago. Dont think it has happened in USA YET!)

consumermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #34
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

We would not be interested in these although if they are the ones that have the designs on them then it would make a great souvenir once the trip is over. Now if they are the bland ones that are also shown in the patient then they can keep them... I suspect it will be the bland ones... Save a penny you know...
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #35
osu2k1
Disneyland Veteran | Disneyworld Newbie

Pardon the ignorance but... If these are your Park tickets, how do you get fast pass? We having been to wdw, so I am thinking of DL technology. Thanks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using DISBoards

SURPRISE TRIP FOR THE BOYS Dec 8-15, '12: Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest room
PTR: Santa's coming early!
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #36
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu2k1
Pardon the ignorance but... If these are your Park tickets, how do you get fast pass? We having been to wdw, so I am thinking of DL technology. Thanks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using DISBoards
The machines will have a reader for the passes too. So you can still get them.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #37
osu2k1
Disneyland Veteran | Disneyworld Newbie

Cool, thanks!

SURPRISE TRIP FOR THE BOYS Dec 8-15, '12: Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest room
PTR: Santa's coming early!
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #38
AladdinToMy4YO
Earning My Ears

RFID hacking room access?

From all I've been reading I sure haven't seen anyone comment about concern for MagicBands and how easy RFID is to hack; especially relative to room access. I know Dis has a pin # for charging at shops but what about room access or even park access? Video shows someone just touching the card to a room lock. All it takes is someone to lift the RFID signal and have a duplicate made in less than minutes.

I also wonder about resort access unless they will continue the finger print??
AladdinToMy4YO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: