Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #16
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Unhappy

~I think it's very wrong to make people who have limited mobility wait in line -- they should be able to go to the front without question. I find it disgusting that someone would use a mobility aid just to get priority access, and I'm even more disgusted that because of this, those who really need the access no longer have it.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #17
MulanMom
DIS Veteran

If there were a way to make it more equal, that would be great. My DH uses an ECV. His first time using an ECV in WDW (he was able to walk around previously), a bus pulls up and decides to ignore him. My husband pulled up into the area reserved for ECVs. I went in the regular line because we had to get something done in time over at Epcot. I got on the bus. He didn't. Once the bus starts boarding, how can you possibly inconvenience a bunch of people and have them move while the ECV is boarding? Even though the stickers near those seats state that you must move, it's very rare when that is asked. So, the ECV has to go on first and be secured before anyone else is allowed onto the bus.

As for groups going with an ECV, we are a family with two children. However, one time a family walked in the back door with us, trying to make it seem they were a part of our party. I can't remember if we or the bus driver said anything. Often, we feel so self conscious with getting to board the bus first, that if it becomes standing room only, three out of the four of us offer our seats to others. Generally, we usually take the bus in off times to avoid inconveniencing others.

People sometimes only see where ECV folks benefit. They are off and gone to the park before the ECV is unstrapped and taken off the bus. Or they don't see how long an ECV has to wait for a bus. And not all buses have lifts. There have been many times where the buses assisting at HS did not have lifts.

Not sharing to be argumentative. Just trying to give a different view.
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #18
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~I think it's very wrong to make people who have limited mobility wait in line -- they should be able to go to the front without question. I find it disgusting that someone would use a mobility aid just to get priority access, and I'm even more disgusted that because of this, those who really need the access no longer have it.
I totally agree

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulanMom View Post
If there were a way to make it more equal, that would be great. My DH uses an ECV. His first time using an ECV in WDW (he was able to walk around previously), a bus pulls up and decides to ignore him. My husband pulled up into the area reserved for ECVs. I went in the regular line because we had to get something done in time over at Epcot. I got on the bus. He didn't. Once the bus starts boarding, how can you possibly inconvenience a bunch of people and have them move while the ECV is boarding? Even though the stickers near those seats state that you must move, it's very rare when that is asked. So, the ECV has to go on first and be secured before anyone else is allowed onto the bus.

As for groups going with an ECV, we are a family with two children. However, one time a family walked in the back door with us, trying to make it seem they were a part of our party. I can't remember if we or the bus driver said anything. Often, we feel so self conscious with getting to board the bus first, that if it becomes standing room only, three out of the four of us offer our seats to others. Generally, we usually take the bus in off times to avoid inconveniencing others.

People sometimes only see where ECV folks benefit. They are off and gone to the park before the ECV is unstrapped and taken off the bus. Or they don't see how long an ECV has to wait for a bus. And not all buses have lifts. There have been many times where the buses assisting at HS did not have lifts.

You won't be getting any arguments from me!! I have spent an evening with someone using an ECV...it was eyeopening!!! And this woman really needs her ECV...and she is very good at operating it. So, when she boarded buses, she didn't fiddle fart around...she backed it up, got on the bus, and got off it, into a seat..took about 90 seconds. BUT...there were still those nasty stares. And in the parks??? Dear God! I have a new found respect for those that really need ECVs!! What they go through when dealing with others is boggling.

In any case...if Disney actually followed through and made it mandatory that a waiting ECV was allowed on the bus..and that ECV got to have the immediate family, up to 6, accompany them? And then, the attraction lines all ECV accessible...with a spot at the end for those that need to board with the ECV??? You would find that many people would stop abusing the priviledge!! Yes, there are many guests out there who think they are going to get preferential treatment if they are using an ECV. Equal treatment? Yes, absolutely, but preferential? Nope.

I don't think that families should be split up when riding the bus...but in all reality....if your dad rides up to the bus, as it is arriving, with the whole dang family of 10, why does anyone think that that group should all board before those that have been waiting for over 15/20 mins??? Sure, dad can board, with the ECV, along with one or two family members to assist him. But everyone else should get into the line and wait with the rest of the guests. It is not fair for them to take 14 seats.
As I said...equal treatment is fine, special is not!!!
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #20
MinnieMeaghan
Earning My Ears

I agree with the majority here. Some people really need the ECV's (my grandmother is one of them), but people who get one to jump the line ruin it for everyone!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #21
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

My mom probably would never skip, but cant walk very far. So she easily could be the one you see "walking with no limp" at certain points, but I promise, it wouldnt be for very long or very far. But she would walk some, because sitting for that long is also not good for her. But there is no way she could make it even a fraction of a day, much less then a week, without a wheel chair.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #22
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicaldisney View Post
I agree. Allowing 1 person on with the wheelchair/ECV is a great option and a compromise I think many people waiting in line would be more happy with. I also agree that splitting a party up is sooo not a big deal. I know there are situations that call for that not being a possibility, but for the most part I would bet it wouldn't be a problem.
I would be fine with that if travelling with my husband, however if I had my grandson with me, I would object to him not entering with us until he was old enough to be alone in the parks.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #23
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

This past January, we were a party of 9, two of us needing and using ECV's. Whenever we boarded the buses, even though technically we could all board thru the back door, only the 2 of us who used the ECV's used the back door.

The rule is that the ECV user and up to 5 others can board thru the back.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #24
waynesgirl
Maleficent is my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulanMom

Can I say I Love You? It's called courtesy and you show it in this post. I am able to stand, and mostly I do, just so other people can sit. Besides, like you said, I WANT to get off the bus first, especially at the resort when my feet hurt. So standing lets me do so. If everyone, including able-bodied, practiced courtesy, it might just be a better time for all.
WDW Commando Member #138!!!!
Me DH DS24 DD21 DD17 DS8
9/'79-offsite DL; 9/'01-Offsite/ASMo;12/'01-Offsite; 9/'02-ASMo; 4/'03-ASMo; 9/'03-offsite; 11/'04-CSR; '05-Wedding and NEW BABY;9/'07-SSR; 4/'08-POR; 9/'08-CBR; 11/'08-WL; 4/'09-DLParis; 11/'09-POFQ; 4/'10-AKL; 11/'10-CR; 4/'11-BWI, from Italy!; 11/'11-YC; 9/'12-Wyndham; 11/'12-AoA/Cars; 2/'13 CSR; 3/'13-Dolphin; 8/'13-offsite; 10/'13-offsite; 11/'13-AlStSport; 2/'14-offsite; 4/'14-POP; 6/'14-offsite; 10/'14 offsite; 12/'14 ASMu- and many more.
waynesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #25
MulanMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesgirl View Post
Can I say I Love You? ....
Sure...never hurts to have too much love!!!! LOL

GMTA....Must be because we both like Malificent!!!!
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #26
cranbiz
DIS Veteran

Location: Durham, NC 11 hours from the mouse, 12 hours from good clam chowder

Granted, It's been 2 years since I drove for WDW, I still have some insight.

1) ECV's were being mainstreamed at most of the parks at the time I left the mouse. They would be in line to a point and then taken out to be loaded first on the next bus.

2) A max of 2 were allowed in the back doors. The rest of your party was to enter thru the front doors.

3) 99% of the new Gilligs (the 5000 numbers and higher) had 3 tie downs. Before those, only bus 4815 (a Nova) has 3 tie downs.

4) There were many changes that were to happen in Transportation, some mandated by previous incidents, some mandated by guest complaints and some by management who had not seen a bus stop at park closing. I didn't like some of them but would go back to driving for Disney Transport in a heartbeat if I was to return to FL permanently.

ECV guests, IMHO, need to be boarded first. This is a safety issue for both the guests and the driver.

Guests with ECV's should wait like everyone else, to a point. Just my opinion colored by 4 years of driving a bus for WDW.

Off Site 8-91, 8-92, ASMU 12-03, 1-06 (AP preview of EE), Our FL House 9-04, 11-04, 1-05, 2-05, 4-05, 5-05, 6-05, 7-05, 9-05, 10-05, 11-05, NYE05 at EPCOT!, 4-06, 10-06(X2), AKL 12-04, CBR 6-05. Stopped recording in 06 due to working there

I have finally visited DLR - Where's the castle?

The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Walt Disney Company or any of its affiliates. This post was written while off the clock and off WDW property. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice and should not, if ever, be taken seriously by anyone. All rights reserved. Your mileage may vary. Offer is valid only at participating locations. Many will enter, few will win. If this post begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head. Guarantee void in Tennessee.
cranbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #27
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
Granted, It's been 2 years since I drove for WDW, I still have some insight.

1) ECV's were being mainstreamed at most of the parks at the time I left the mouse. They would be in line to a point and then taken out to be loaded first on the next bus.

2) A max of 2 were allowed in the back doors. The rest of your party was to enter thru the front doors.

3) 99% of the new Gilligs (the 5000 numbers and higher) had 3 tie downs. Before those, only bus 4815 (a Nova) has 3 tie downs.

4) There were many changes that were to happen in Transportation, some mandated by previous incidents, some mandated by guest complaints and some by management who had not seen a bus stop at park closing. I didn't like some of them but would go back to driving for Disney Transport in a heartbeat if I was to return to FL permanently.

ECV guests, IMHO, need to be boarded first. This is a safety issue for both the guests and the driver.

Guests with ECV's should wait like everyone else, to a point. Just my opinion colored by 4 years of driving a bus for WDW.
Hey you!!! I've missed seeing you around.
This really isn't a huge issue. It should be an easy thing. Allow one person to board with the ECV..not the entire family. 2, and possibly 3, ECVs can now be accommodated on some buses. Once those are loaded, everyone else gets on board. But...here's the thing. You don't get to be in an ECV and just rolling up to the bus stop as the bus is loading and then be allowed on. The driver needs to be able to see who is already there, waiting, as the bus pulls up.
It's not fair to make the ECV folks wait in the regular line....why? Well, if guests would leave those 'ECV accessible' seats open, then fine. But they don't. And there have been many instances where, when asked to move to accommodate an ECV, these guests refuse.
There is never going to be a completely fair and equitable way to manage this issue. But a little common sense and courtesy, on everyone's part, would go a long way.
If you are riding an ECV, and are able to board that bus first?? Please...don't expect to take the entire group of 10 on with you. That's not fair to those that may have been waiting 20+ mins for the bus.
And those of you who are waiting, patiently, in that line, but see an ECV pull up?? Try not to start with the dirty looks and the snide comments. You have no way of knowing what that person's story is. Sure they may be taking advantage of the system...it happens. But, that may not be the case. They may, most likely, be very entitled to be on the ECV. And those comments and looks are hurtful. So what if you have to wait an addtl 8 mins while the ECV is loaded?? If you need to get to the parks that quickly, you may be better off renting a car. WDW transportation is basically public transit. It is not a private shuttle service that is provided to get you and your family to the parks as quickly as possible.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #28
PatsMom
Sometimes has Dory moments!
I have two brothers and either of them would have been proud to be suspended for stinking up the bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
I would be fine with that if travelling with my husband, however if I had my grandson with me, I would object to him not entering with us until he was old enough to be alone in the parks.
100% agreement on this. I am off on my second wheelchair trip tomorrow. Last trip there were three of us - my 21 year old daughter (and well bribed wheelchair pusher), my 67 year old husband who has his own troubles walking and me - who had a broken foot that trip. We didn't splurge on an ECV. This trip I am 7 days out from a nine inch midline incision to remove all the organs they could due to metastatic carcinoma of unknown origin. So between the new incision and the cancer, I am pretty wiped out lots of the time.

I need to walk - sitting all day makes me hurt worse and is not good for my healing. So there may be times when I magically arise from my chair like the gentleman in the original posting - sorry about that! I have learned not to judge others by appearances. I now there are those who try try scam but there aren't many benefits to a mobility device now. Not that benefits is the correct word! At a couple of older attractions you may be directed to the exit or the fastpass line but most are mainstreamed.

In May we got in the regular line - I had limited mobility but could walk. No point using a wheelchair tie down. My daughter would fold up the chair and carry it on like a stroller. That is what we intend to do this time too. At a few places we were directed to the front of the line - despite my husband telling the bus driver I would not need the lift. At the MK at closing we felt bad because we were sent to the front of a looong OKW line! We were anticipating waiting for the next bus because I obviously could not stand. But the person directing people traffic said it is easier to put you on first - so we followed directions!.

This trip there are six of us. I don't anticipate getting on the bus together. Just like when we board our Southwest flight, my husband will go with me - the other four (two adults and two children) will meet up with us whenever we get to where we are going.

But like Talking Hands - if my grandson was alone with us (he's five) I would object if he were not allowed to board with us. The 21 and 42 year old daughters are one story - the five year old grandson and 11 year old niece are a little different. The 11 year old would most likely be fine - she would know to just get on and off the bus like she does at school but I would worry about her in a strange place. Mostly at OKW that she would get off at the wrong stop and be confused!
September 1996 - Fort Wilderness (DD and DH's first trip) October 1999 - Fort Wilderness November 2001 - Fort Wilderness November 2004 - Fort Wilderness November 2005 - Saratoga Springs December 2006 - Saratoga Springs February 2007 - All Star Sports August 2007 - Boardwalk Villas November 2007 - Saratoga Springs February 2008 - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge August 2008 - Old Key West
December 2008 - Saratoga Springs February 2009 - Beach Club Villas September 2009 (50th birthday trip) - Bay Lake Tower January 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) May 2010 - Old Key West September 2010 - Bay Lake Tower May 2011 - Beach Club Villas October 2011 - Saratoga Springs January 2012 - Old Key West May 2012 - Old Key West October 2012 - Old Key West January 2013 - Family gathering at Old Key West; May 2013 - Wilderness Lodge Villas; November 2013 - AKL Jambo House; February 2014 - Saratoga Springs
PatsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #29
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsMom View Post
100% agreement on this. I am off on my second wheelchair trip tomorrow. Last trip there were three of us - my 21 year old daughter (and well bribed wheelchair pusher), my 67 year old husband who has his own troubles walking and me - who had a broken foot that trip. We didn't splurge on an ECV. This trip I am 7 days out from a nine inch midline incision to remove all the organs they could due to metastatic carcinoma of unknown origin. So between the new incision and the cancer, I am pretty wiped out lots of the time.

I need to walk - sitting all day makes me hurt worse and is not good for my healing. So there may be times when I magically arise from my chair like the gentleman in the original posting - sorry about that! I have learned not to judge others by appearances. I now there are those who try try scam but there aren't many benefits to a mobility device now. Not that benefits is the correct word! At a couple of older attractions you may be directed to the exit or the fastpass line but most are mainstreamed.

In May we got in the regular line - I had limited mobility but could walk. No point using a wheelchair tie down. My daughter would fold up the chair and carry it on like a stroller. That is what we intend to do this time too. At a few places we were directed to the front of the line - despite my husband telling the bus driver I would not need the lift. At the MK at closing we felt bad because we were sent to the front of a looong OKW line! We were anticipating waiting for the next bus because I obviously could not stand. But the person directing people traffic said it is easier to put you on first - so we followed directions!.

This trip there are six of us. I don't anticipate getting on the bus together. Just like when we board our Southwest flight, my husband will go with me - the other four (two adults and two children) will meet up with us whenever we get to where we are going.

But like Talking Hands - if my grandson was alone with us (he's five) I would object if he were not allowed to board with us. The 21 and 42 year old daughters are one story - the five year old grandson and 11 year old niece are a little different. The 11 year old would most likely be fine - she would know to just get on and off the bus like she does at school but I would worry about her in a strange place. Mostly at OKW that she would get off at the wrong stop and be confused!
There are always going to be exceptions. No one is going to have an issue with a young person boarding with the adult in question!!! But, if that 5 y/o boards with a group of 9? Then yeah, that's going to be an issue. There are plenty of adults to take care of the kiddos.

I really don't think that many people abuse the whole ECV boarding process. Yes, I've seen some large groups all board together. It is annoying when 10+ people all board with that one ECV bound person. It's also annoying when someone comes barralling down the sidewalk, in their ECV, and then figures it's their 'right' to board before those who have been waiting for 20+ mins....and yes, I was one of those people waiting. I was about 15 people back in the line and I had been there for about 15 mins, and when the ECV got there, just as the bus drove up, I had been in line for 22 mins...yes, I timed it!!! It's what I do in order to report back here!!! So, yeah, that can be annoying.

But, it's also annoying when an elderly couple has to sit through 3 buses at MK.....not one of those 3 buses was able to accommodate them due to faulty equipment...so there they sat, out in the heat/humidity of August, waiting for a 4th bus. Nope, life is just not fair.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #30
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

goofy4tink what would you do with my 5 year old grandson as my husband boards with me as the one person? is he to be on his own? if he boards with me and i need help to control him, specialneeds. we are a party of 3 and i use a scooter.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: