Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
DISMapper
Earning My Ears

Breakfast Reviews by Kevin

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the 5 Breakfast reviews by Kevin, John and Sean (absent) this week. I would love for the Podcast to do the same format for Lunch and Dinner. Just a suggestion...Would anyone else be interested in hearing the same?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

I would love that. I think I'd like to hear top 5 Counter Service locations for lunch and top 5 table service for dinner.

I have to agree with Pete that they MUST have had an off day at Kona. I would love to see them give it one more chance. I always get the pineapple macadamia pancakes with sausage and they have always been absolutely delicious. You don't even need syrup with them! That being said, I think ANY food, even the best food you've ever tasted would be gross served cold if it's supposed to be hot. I would really like to see the guys have a nice hot breakfast at Kona and see if they still feel the same about it.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaclyn View Post
I would love that. I think I'd like to hear top 5 Counter Service locations for lunch and top 5 table service for dinner.

I have to agree with Pete that they MUST have had an off day at Kona. I would love to see them give it one more chance. I always get the pineapple macadamia pancakes with sausage and they have always been absolutely delicious. You don't even need syrup with them! That being said, I think ANY food, even the best food you've ever tasted would be gross served cold if it's supposed to be hot. I would really like to see the guys have a nice hot breakfast at Kona and see if they still feel the same about it.
Shaun ordered the pineapple macadamia nut pancakes and had they been hot, they would have been very good.

We will re-review Kona and see what happens on the next visit.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
kydisfan
Mouseketeer

I listen to this podcast this morning and found it very helpful in planning where to eat on our next trip.

It's nice to here about different items on the menus because I usually order the safe way. I love to try new food but am worried about not liking it.

Any dinning review podcast is great.

Thanks for all that you all do.
kydisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
daneenm
Just call me Pollyanna ...everyone else does!
this is the first time we had tried it
The kitchen is not typically a likely option

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISMapper View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the 5 Breakfast reviews by Kevin, John and Sean (absent) this week. I would love for the Podcast to do the same format for Lunch and Dinner. Just a suggestion...Would anyone else be interested in hearing the same?
Great idea! I loved the segment too. Especially since we are FINALLY planning our next trip to WDW. I need to pay more attention to how things may have changed, restaurant-wise.
- DLH: 1999, 2008 (Concierge)
- GCH: 2004, 2006 (Concierge), 2009, 2011, 2012

WDW:
- YC Concierge: 2007, 2013, planned 7/2015

DCL:
- Fantasy, Eastern Carribean planned 8/2015

Wish I could visit more....
daneenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

We found the service lacking at Kona during our last trip. The food though was delicious. Love, love, love Kevin's reviews and I like the top five format.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
dnorris6112011
Earning My Ears

Breakfast Reviews

Kevin, John and Sean, thanks for your truthful reviews of the top breakfast spots. My husband and I also went to Kona's Cafe for breakfast and had the same experience. The service was poor and the food wasn't hot, we were very disappointed as we had heard great things about Kona. We love Boma, my husband is a chef so we love trying different types of food and the options were great.

I must say that your podcast made me laugh so hard when you were talking about your experience at Ohana's, I so wish we had been there when you yelled COUSIN! You are welcome at our table anytime!!!

Love the restaurant reviews, please keep them coming!
dnorris6112011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Love this segment also! How about a similar comparison of those oh so popular character meals? Or a comparison of places that are usually more applauded for their entertainment value as opposed to food (like Sci Fi, 50s Prime Time, etc.)? I think it'd be interesting to hear Kevin's impressions & rankings of these types of dining experiences, especially since the emphasis in some of these cases seems to be more on location/entertainment than food. I'd love to hear which (if any) are, balancing food & fun, worthwhile in Kevin's opinion.
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
Wimpy
Mouseketeer

I loved the segment as well. Very good idea and well executed. I would also like to hear the same for lunch and dinner.

After that, should they do a "Torture John and Kevin" by doing the bottom 5 of each?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

==========================================

"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne
Wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
Lynnp
Earning My Ears

Great segment! Is there a list anywhere of the percentages of each?
Lynnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
chica622
Mouseketeer

Yes, a great segment!! We are staying at Kidnai in March and I was thinking about going to Boma for breakfast. After listening to your review we are definitely going to give it a try.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
Quicklabs
DIS Veteran

I love the reviews from the Podcast team.

Their reviews are thoughtful and well-balanced.

I've eaten at 66 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (27%)
Quicklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

Yes, great segment and would love to hear more similar segments about the other tops (lunch, snack, dinner, etc.). But I think John and Kevin have mentioned disliking the "show" at 50's Prime Time which might turn out to be an hysterical review
Stacy's a freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
misstheworld
My Prince Charming is mecarroll

Thanks for the breakfast reviews!! I'd like to add one note about Crystal Palace. We were there last year and I have a dietary issue. We let them know about it ahead of time (both on our reservation and I emailed Disney Dining and filled out the forms) and I was so incredibly impressed with CP! Once we were seated and our server came out, she immediately noticed the dietary note and sent a chef right over. He TOTALLY knew we were coming because he had made a special version of their breakfast potatoes prepared, plus he took me around and told me about each and every item on the buffet. It was the most spectacular service we'd received.
misstheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstheworld View Post
Thanks for the breakfast reviews!! I'd like to add one note about Crystal Palace. We were there last year and I have a dietary issue. We let them know about it ahead of time (both on our reservation and I emailed Disney Dining and filled out the forms) and I was so incredibly impressed with CP! Once we were seated and our server came out, she immediately noticed the dietary note and sent a chef right over. He TOTALLY knew we were coming because he had made a special version of their breakfast potatoes prepared, plus he took me around and told me about each and every item on the buffet. It was the most spectacular service we'd received.
We have always found that Disney handles allergies in the best possible fashion.

Kudos to the chefs at Crystal Palace for anticipating the need to have special dishes prepared.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: