Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
GinChicago
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 62

Online or in-person check in?

I've heard the Poly in-person is one of the slowest experiences. Would you recommend doing online 10 days out or doing in person in case you can request your most favored longhouse and view? Any drawbacks to doing online?
GinChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
mkymouse4ever
DIS Veteran
 
mkymouse4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Outside the windy city
Posts: 5,601

If your request are really important factor to your trip I would not do online. You can talk to the castmember and find out if your request where granted or possibly could change what you where assigned.

Good luck
__________________


GF [x4], POLY [x22], CR [x26], YC [x3], BC [x6], BCV, AKV / KIDANI, AKL, BWV, SSR, WL, CBR, DXL, PO-RS [x7], Dolphin, Swan, DCL's Wonder [x2], PFB [x2], HRH, & Royal Plaza
mkymouse4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,336

I didn't find Poly check in slow at all.
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend
 
tiki23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Des Moines WA
Posts: 2,883

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkymouse4ever View Post
If your request are really important factor to your trip I would not do online. You can talk to the castmember and find out if your request where granted or possibly could change what you where assigned.

Good luck
^This^

I've checked in online 3 of the several trips we have taken since online check-in was instituted. 2 of those 3 times the only request options available online were if we wanted a play-n-pack or fridge. All 3 times our room was as far away from the front desk as it could possibly be.

I think I'll stick to the regular check-in line from now on, unless we need more than one room.
__________________
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon

Last edited by tiki23; 11-12-2012 at 01:56 AM.
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
Marthasor
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,653

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkymouse4ever View Post
If your request are really important factor to your trip I would not do online. You can talk to the castmember and find out if your request where granted or possibly could change what you where assigned.

Good luck
When you check in online, you still have to check-in with a cast member when you arrive at the resort so you still have the opportunity to ask for a different room location. Online check-in just expedites the check-in process, it doesn't eliminate it. We do online check in all of the time and if I don't like my room location (which happened only once), simply ask if they have another room. We went to AoA in June and when I booked, they only had Cars left and we really wanted Nemo. When we arrived, I simply asked if there was anything available in the Nemo section. The CM checked, there was availability, so she re-assigned our room.

My suggestion, call in your room requests to CRO, do online check-in, ask to change your room at check-in if you don't like it.

Your room is assigned days before you arrive, whether you check-in online or in person. Simply by checking in online doesn't lock in your room assignment - you can always ask for it to be changed.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 2 miles north of the Castle!
Posts: 20,813

A few important points:
  • Requests for buildings/floor/etc should be noted when you make your reservation. If you didn't do it then, call now and have it noted on your reservation. Waiting until check in (on line or in person) won't help you.
  • Doing online checkin doesn't impact your requests. They stay on the reservation and the room assigner will see them.
  • If you do on line check in, you can still ask the CM at the counter if your requests were honored. If they weren't you can ask for a change.
__________________
OKW Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran
 
dawnhaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 1,466

I've done online check-in for my past two trips. I've gotten the most important of my requests (which I called to add) both times. I had to wait for my room the first time but not the second time.

I've decided to believe that it doesn't really make much difference if you check in online.
__________________
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
artemis908
EPCOTnaut
 
artemis908's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 601

So far most people I've talked to have said they didn't get their room requests when they checked in online and that it was more difficult to change rooms that way. Though I wonder how true that is from what others have been saying. I know that they pick out your room the day or two before anyway. I've also heard that sometimes there is no difference in the length of the queue for online vs. not online. So it just seems like you never know what your own situation will be!
artemis908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
dansdad
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 1,209 miles from CBR.
Posts: 5,567

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
A few important points:
  • Requests for buildings/floor/etc should be noted when you make your reservation. If you didn't do it then, call now and have it noted on your reservation. Waiting until check in (on line or in person) won't help you.
  • Doing online checkin doesn't impact your requests. They stay on the reservation and the room assigner will see them.
  • If you do on line check in, you can still ask the CM at the counter if your requests were honored. If they weren't you can ask for a change.
This!
__________________
ME DW DS12
dansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
ccgirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 7,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinChicago View Post
I've heard the Poly in-person is one of the slowest experiences. Would you recommend doing online 10 days out or doing in person in case you can request your most favored longhouse and view? Any drawbacks to doing online?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkymouse4ever View Post
If your request are really important factor to your trip I would not do online. You can talk to the castmember and find out if your request where granted or possibly could change what you where assigned.

Good luck
Which is why I don't do check in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthasor View Post
When you check in online, you still have to check-in with a cast member when you arrive at the resort so you still have the opportunity to ask for a different room location. Online check-in just expedites the check-in process, it doesn't eliminate it. We do online check in all of the time and if I don't like my room location (which happened only once), simply ask if they have another room. We went to AoA in June and when I booked, they only had Cars left and we really wanted Nemo. When we arrived, I simply asked if there was anything available in the Nemo section. The CM checked, there was availability, so she re-assigned our room.

My suggestion, call in your room requests to CRO, do online check-in, ask to change your room at check-in if you don't like it.

Your room is assigned days before you arrive, whether you check-in online or in person. Simply by checking in online doesn't lock in your room assignment - you can always ask for it to be changed.
Actually, this is not entirely correct. While you possibly still have to wait in line to speak with a CM, if you do online check in you are supposed to take what you get. There are signs stating that. Otherwise, it defeats the purpose of online check in. If you check in online you are stating that you will accept the room you get at check in. Otherwise, it holds up the check in process for those that used online check in, in order to be able to check in quickly. You were lucky the CM did that for you. Check in online is supposed to actually lock in room assignment.
__________________
MEDH37DD7DS2
May 1 - May 8 2010 BWV Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2466128
Dec 2 - Dec 12 2010 ASMo and Marriott Harbour Lake
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
ccgirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 7,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis908 View Post
So far most people I've talked to have said they didn't get their room requests when they checked in online and that it was more difficult to change rooms that way. Though I wonder how true that is from what others have been saying. I know that they pick out your room the day or two before anyway. I've also heard that sometimes there is no difference in the length of the queue for online vs. not online. So it just seems like you never know what your own situation will be!
Unfortunately, sometimes there is no difference in the length of the queues because those that did online check in are not accepting the rooms that they were assigned even though they are supposed to.
__________________
MEDH37DD7DS2
May 1 - May 8 2010 BWV Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2466128
Dec 2 - Dec 12 2010 ASMo and Marriott Harbour Lake
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl

Which is why I don't do check in.

Actually, this is not entirely correct. While you possibly still have to wait in line to speak with a CM, if you do online check in you are supposed to take what you get. There are signs stating that. Otherwise, it defeats the purpose of online check in. If you check in online you are stating that you will accept the room you get at check in. Otherwise, it holds up the check in process for those that used online check in, in order to be able to check in quickly. You were lucky the CM did that for you. Check in online is supposed to actually lock in room assignment.
I hope at some point we do finally create a sticky for online check-in, because this is probably one of the most misinformed pieces of information ever posted.
__________________




Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
maryj11
DIS Veteran
 
maryj11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,891

We stayed at the Poly twice in the past 2 years and have done online check in both times. We had no trouble at all and got our requests both times. We called and had them add our room request to our reservations months ahead of time. I always call back right before we head to Disney to make sure my room requests are on there just double checking.
__________________
maryj11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran
 
heidijanesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
I didn't find Poly check in slow at all.
Me too

I used online ck in, it was super quick. The CM asked us if our room met our requests as he was giving us a map of the resort. We were very happy with our room, but would have had time to as the CM to change us if we were not happy.

I would use online for all return visitors, for 1st timers I would not use online (I did not use it for our 1st stay and was glad. I had a million questions and needed some extra time at check in).
__________________


May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
ccgirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 7,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
I hope at some point we do finally create a sticky for online check-in, because this is probably one of the most misinformed pieces of information ever posted.
I'm not sure why it's so misinformed.

The last time I stayed at ASMo in December there was a sign at the online check in that stated somethign to the fact that it was for guests who used the online check in and needed to pick up their folders but no room change requests should be made.

I realize different people have different experiences.
__________________
MEDH37DD7DS2
May 1 - May 8 2010 BWV Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2466128
Dec 2 - Dec 12 2010 ASMo and Marriott Harbour Lake
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld

Last edited by ccgirl; 11-13-2012 at 01:17 PM.
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.